Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boot volume calculation

Don Mac

Can anyone here tell me how Toyota calculate the boot volume of their cars? (specifically the Corolla TS)

On the website they state that it is " Laden To Tonneau Cover", but does this also mean "with the boot floor in the lower position" (I'm pretty sure it does) and include the space inside the spare wheel well? Do you need to remove the box behind the rear seats to get the full capacity?

If, as I suspect, the wheel well is included how much is that adding to the volume?

Hi Don,Toyota says that the boot volume of their cars, such as the Corolla TS, is "laden to tonneau cover," it typically means that the volume measurement includes the space up to the tonneau cover or parcel shelf, but it does not necessarily include the space inside the spare wheel well.

The boot volume measurement is usually calculated with the boot floor in the lower position and may or may not include additional compartments or the storage areas. I would also look at the specifications provided by Toyota online or the owners manual if its listed just to confirm exactly how the boot volume measurement is calculated for your model.

If you think the wheel well is included in the volume measurement and want to determine how much space it adds, you can measure the volume of the spare. Hope this helps.:smile:

These boot volumes figures are very much like the mpg numbers, just to compare between different makes and models. In real world similarly to mpg the results may be different and it will vary between the different cars. 
In most cases the actual length, width and height of the boot area will be more important as most users will need to load larger or longer items that will on.y need a fraction of the total boot volume but they might require a full length or width so , these are the important bits. Another thing is the shape of the loading area, Corolla both hatchback and TS with raised floor plan are offering completely flat boot floor and even with lower volume numbers these are very practical for loads and transporting goods and items. , espresso when rear seats fold down. 👍 

I always find footprint much more useful to know than volume. My auris tourer has a boot (volume) 10% larger than my avensis tourer. However the avensis boot is much more user friendly/larger. The auris boot must be higher to give greater volume.

If I put the auris boot liner in the avensis it shows how much smaller the load area is even if on paper the volume is greater.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

These boot volumes figures are very much like the mpg numbers, just to compare between different makes and models. 

The problem is that you can't use them to compare though!

If you're trying to compare a car, which is described as having a lovely, flat load area and 600l of boot space it's a bit of an issue when you can't actually have both because the car has a variable height boot floor.

At a rough estimate dropping the boot floor in the Corolla TS increases the voume above it by about 80l. I'd guess the volume of the wheel well to be somewhere about 35-40l, similar to a small rucksack. If you want the flat load bay you'd need to deduct both before comparing to another car that doesn't have a false floor with further cavities underneath.

I wish that car manufacturers would be a bit more helpful with this sort of information. Surely a basic diagram of the boot, giving some indication of height, width & depth (maybe even the dimensions of the largest box that you could fit in there) ought to be possible - they go to enough detail on the external dimensions of their cars.

I agree that boot measurements rather than volume would be useful.

When I looked at a Rav4 recently and wanted to gauge boot size I put my auris bootliner in the demo car's boot. It was a useful guide for me regarding usable boot floor area compared with what I'm used to.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links