Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2017 Aygo cranks but won't fire, steering wheel red light on

BernieJ

This just happened and I'm hoping I may be able to diagnose and fix without resorting to getting it towed to a dealership.

I read that the power steering system doesn't use any fluid at all- is that correct?

Any tips would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Bernie

Is the Battery in good health, is there plenty of petrol in the car, has the car been serviced recently. 

Yes, yes and no - not reached next service interval yet.

Thanks,

Bernie

This thread might help

I'd ask your local dealer on the off chance they may do it under the relaxed warranty system.

Power steering should be electric, but I don't think it's on unless the engine is running...

When you try and crank it, can you hear the starter? If it's quiet enough it should click and then the engine should crank. If you can hear a whirr but not click, it may be the solenoid is stuck and not popping out to turn the flywheel.

If you don't hear anything, may be the starter has packed up or there's some other electrical issue.

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies so far....

I guess the warning light being on may be unrelated - I've never watched it before to see if it usually comes on with the ignition and if so when it goes off....

The engine cranks OK so it's not starting because either there's no fuel or no spark - my guess is the ECU is preventing it from starting and had assumed that it was due to a PS steering fault - but that may not be the case I guess.

Cheers,

Bernie

Have you had your key open recently?

I've opened it with the remote and also the key - no difference.

Just been out and had a loser look. I can smell petrol after cranking for a while and, looking under the bonnet, I can see evidence of mouse occupation.

Now wondering if something has been nibbled!

I'm going to borrow a diagnostic tester tomorrow and see if it shows anything.

• Sad 1

have you tried a spare key, has the car been jump-started recently, pull a coil and plug and check for spark,

scan it for codes may be a fuse or a dead crank sensor

When you turn the key on ignition you hear the fuel pump?

Well, removed airbox cover and here's a clue!

Darn those pesky meeces!!

Anyone know how to remove/replace the fuel hose shown?

Thanks

20240309_093556.jpg

• Sad 2

Hi Bernie,

Have been reading of your problems over the last few days. Hopefully them "peskie miece's" haven't done other damage easlewhere and it's all you have too repair. Would think a visit to your local breakers yard would be your best bet.

That fuel line may well be one long piece from the tank/pump all the way to the engine compartment. Perhaps if you get hold of a good length of the engine compartment line and cut it as long as possible you could use some of the original rubber hose to help in splicing the sections together along with some small fuel line clips.

Either that or your in the hands of the dealers for new parts and fitting and of copurse they'll only fit a full fuel line which runs under the car and then up to the in tank pump which can only be accessed from under the rear seat. If your competent you should be able to make decent job of repairing that damage and hopefuly the engine will live once again.

Just make sure there's no debris left inside the old fuel pipe or the replacement as it could cause further fuel problems.

It is a plastic QD line that goes from the bulkhead to the fuel rail you will need to use a QD tool to release the line

23901-0Q040 (239010Q040)

eg.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256065174486

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266489983087

I can't find them new either, on long-term back order or just not available

• Like 1

Fortunately it looks as if only the short piece was damaged - thanks @flash22 for the link.

I think I'll get a length of flexible fuel hose from Wilco for a quick fix and then run the diagnostics - and will order the correct part from eBay.

Many thanks again for all the replies - it's been a great help and much appreciated 🙂

20240309_125037.jpg

be aware this line can be under 100 psi of fuel pressure

A place like Hosequip or Pirtek should be able to make a line for you

• Like 2

I bought some flexible 'fuel injection hose', attached with hose clips and it started straight away 🙂

I'll fit the part from eBay when it arrives and check for leaks. Looks like there was no other significant damage but I'll need to find a way to keep the mice away from the car in future.

• Like 4

Honda capsaicin tape works well, wear gloves, and don't touch your face or any sensitive skin as it will burn

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links