Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Beware of Yaris Cross trim!

dcweather

Whilst fitting a bit of under bonnet sound proofing I thought the best place might be to start on the metal under the token bit of loose felt material that was loosely pinned to the underside of the bonnet with those awful single use plastic trim plug/clips. I tried putting my fingers under the large gap to lever it off. Unbeknowing to me the felt was stuck to a thin piece of plastic that had edges like a razor blade. Sliced across the top of my middle and index fingers like a Stanley knife blade. Not deep but painful like a deep paper cut. The thought and finish gone into this Cross is appalling. The front carpets are thin  loose and "baggy" with a big air gap between them and the floor and the reclining seat adjuster is a bendy thin bit of plastic. Coming from the well fitted and plush interior of the Renault Captur I have been shocked frankly with the lack of sound proofing, tinny door panels and general finish. Shame becauseI I thought Toyota were supposed to be decent quality in that regard but the French are way in front.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

17 minutes ago, dcweather said:

The thought and finish gone into this Cross is appalling

Please update your profile to include the Yaris Cross.

Hi Dave,You could still add soundproofing yourself look into aftermarket options like mats,sprays etc

Check for any loose clips or screws that might be causing the gapping. You might be able to tighten up them yourself.

it is true there are cars that have better interiors but if you want functionality and reliability Toyota Is your car. To be honest I came from owning a Lexus and that is quality but even though my Auris isn't on the same level with interior carpet and soundproofing I am still impressed with it.😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi Dave,You could still add soundproofing yourself look into aftermarket options like mats,sprays etc

Check for any loose clips or screws that might be causing the gapping. You might be able to tighten up them yourself.

it is true there are cars that have better interiors but if you want functionality and reliability Toyota Is your car. To be honest I came from owning a Lexus and that is quality but even though my Auris isn't on the same level with interior carpet and soundproofing I am still impressed with it.😀

Thanks, yes I have done all of the boot floor which has helped a bit. Put some behind the felt and taped it down tight to stop it wobbling about. Would like to do the doors but although Don says it's easy I'm not sure whether to risk it. 
It is a great car in many other ways but in a couple of areas it really isn't!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, dcweather said:

Thanks, yes I have done all of the boot floor which has helped a bit. Put some behind the felt and taped it down tight to stop it wobbling about. Would like to do the doors but although Don says it's easy I'm not sure whether to risk it. 

Dave as we know all cars have problems but its what you are prepared to put up with and what you can do to improve it without costing you a fortune or breaking your back attempting it. :smile:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dcweather said:

It pains me to admit it but no, they didn’t waste any money deburring edges although most owners wouldn’t find it because they wouldn’t pull it apart like we do.  I still maintain that I’d be happy to own any Toyota for 20 years than anything French or Italian for 10.  I had a Renault something or other hybrid as a rental but I wasn’t one bit impressed with it either in build quality or to drive.  If you fancy a ride to Derbyshire, I’ll take your door panels off while you add the dodomat.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dcweather said:

...but the French are way in front.

Your Cross was built in France 🤣

We bought a Clio in 2016 and whilst there are lots of positives I could say about it, build quality and materials ain't one of them. However what made it one of the best cars I've owned is the fact this was reflected in the price - I paid £10400 for a 0.9tce Dynamique in met red with the black wheels as extras. They also threw in 2yr free servicing.

The plastic trim that covers the steering wheel on the Renault sounds just like your experience with the Toyota - the edges were crazy sharp and there were several squeaks and rattles on a brand new car. But that's reflected in the price I paid so happy days.

I've been saying it before I took delivery of the Yaris Cross - the quality of some materials are highly questionable especially given the price because it's no a cheap car. But if you move up market, you can say the same about Mercedes, Audi and VW because they're nowhere near the cars they used to be.

When priority is given over to weight saving, this is what happens.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dcweather said:

The front carpets are thin  loose and "baggy" with a big air gap between them and the floor

You have carpets?

Coming from a Corolla  I was surprised to find 'no' carpets in the Cross.

Well there is a black liner that has more the appearance of sound proofing than carpet and with carpeted mats on top.

The only rationale (except cost) I can think of is ease of cleaning for an SUV (mud etc) than a saloon (smart shoes).

In over a year I don't 'see' the lack of a carpet.  It is certainly easy to remove the mats and vacuum the floor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

You have carpets?

Coming from a Corolla  I was surprised to find 'no' carpets in the Cross.

Well there is a black liner that has more the appearance of sound proofing than carpet and with carpeted mats on top.

The only rationale (except cost) I can think of is ease of cleaning for an SUV (mud etc) than a saloon (smart shoes).

In over a year I don't 'see' the lack of a carpet.  It is certainly easy to remove the mats and vacuum the floor.

I think the floor cover (certainly isn’t a carpet) is largely recycled material and is extremely light.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Might be a Yaris thing, Aygo etc, Clio smaller cars from each brand are not as nicer built as bigger sisters. If you take a Mercedes A class basic trim and compare it to c class or bigger you will see what I mean. My Auris, I know it’s old but it’s properly made , new Corolla also, both top spec models I can tell you that Corolla excel is better than many plusher brands similar sized cars. Aygo and Yaris I like a lot but when get close to or seat inside all that we are discussing about here becomes apparent. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got a Mazda, then Toyota Yaris, after a year with a mini. If you want to know about quality, get a mini to find out how bad it can be

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

On 3/9/2024 at 8:49 PM, SouperChris said:

Got a Mazda, then Toyota Yaris, after a year with a mini. If you want to know about quality, get a mini to find out how bad it can be

Hopefully not as bad as my 1964  one! Hardboard dash shelf, steel dashboard, sliding windows in mossed felt groove, solid plastic steering wheel ............ 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dcweather said:

Hopefully not as bad as my 1964  one! Hardboard dash shelf, steel dashboard, sliding windows in mossed felt groove, solid plastic steering wheel ............ 😂

Old cars were lethal weren’t they.  I remember them with pouted metal horn push in the middle of the steering wheel.  

4 hours ago, anchorman said:

Old cars were lethal weren’t they.  I remember them with pouted metal horn push in the middle of the steering wheel.  

Indeed, despite our petty gripes modern cars are a fantastic feat of engineering, technology and science. They are better in every way than those even of just 25 years ago. Cars in the sixties were almost home made by enthusiasts given some of the materials used and the way they were fitted together! Of course that did make it easier to take them apart which you had to do quite a lot. No more do I have a greasy oil stained Haynes manual for my car 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links