Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso 2.0 D-4D for daughter's 1st car: thoughts?

UrgeToSplurge

Hi all, just joined this forum after considering seriously rejoining the Toyota fold after a long absence!

My 20-y.o. daughter is in the market for her first car, and we're looking at a Verso 2.0-4D (2009) for her.  It's attractively priced for her budget, and she can get a decent insurance deal too.  It's got just under 180K mi on the clock, and she'll be doing about 10K/year over the next 3 years (if it keeps going).  So...

1. I've told her to budget ~£600/year for maintenance - is that realistic for this model and age?  What about reliability - any major issues likely to torpedo that? 
  2. The one we're looking at smokes (black) initially upon startup, which clears when it's warm - anyone else had this issue, and how major is it?

Thanks in advance for your input everyone!

Angus

In all honesty, a 2.0 diesel with 180K on it will require some maintenance on it. I would go for a more basic, petrol powered car as a first car. If it has black smoke it "might" be an injector problem which are very expensive on these 

Here's my thoughts and it's what we went through after looking at a lot of old Aygos and Yarises for our daughter.  We had 3k for one.

Use the 3 grand to put a deposit down on a 3/4 year old aygo, pay about £80 a month on a 4 year 10k PCP.  Roll it over at the end.  80 a month is about a grand a year but you do get a warranty and hopefully less issues.

Our daughter is 18, 1 yrs no claims, £1110 renewal last month on a 2019 Aygo.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links