Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant drain.

Slartybartfast

1NR FE, 1.33l engine. Does anyone know where the cylinder block coolant drain is situated? If fitted.

Hi, 

I don’t know much about 1.33 Toyota engines but here you can find your model and see the engine in parts diagram to help you locate the drain. 
https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota

On the hybrids 1.8 for example drain from radiator plug and refill works great. 
Best practice is to use original Toyota ready mix coolant, and even if a small amount old mixture is left in it will be fine after. 
Good luck 

• Like 1

Thanks Tony. Sadly I can't locate a block drain on any of the drawings or parts list. My Russian is very limited too.

I have changed the coolant previously by just draining the radiator and, by measuring the volume removed, it's not far short of the total capacity as listed in the handbook.

Yes, I use ready mixed Toyota Pink coolant, as specified and originally filled. I agree leaving a small amount of old coolant shouldn't cause any problems.

• Like 1

Hi Peter, Not sure if this will help,the video shows the position of the coolant drain, however its not Uk but it may help to indicate a similar location on yours, its worth a look. :smile:

I've always drained the coolant from the radiator plug. I didn't think there was a cylinder block coolant drain on this engine and I've never noticed one. Other models have one in the location shown below.

Coolant Drain.PNG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Peter, Not sure if this will help,the video shows the position of the coolant drain, however its not Uk but it may help to indicate a similar location on yours, its worth a look. :smile:

Link missing from video

https://youtu.be/67A0CWnEWE0?si=e9bjb1pkzacZTAcK

• Like 1

Thanks all.

The reason for asking is that I have searched around the engine block for a drain, more than once, and as Ray suspects there might not be one - I wonder why?

The video is a 1NZ FE engine (marked on the intake) and it's backwards compared to the 1NR FE, i.e. the air intake is at the front.

I believe that on the 1.8 hybrid, 2zr fxe The block drain was deleted some years ago and when there used to be one, it was pretty useless. Yours may be the same. I changed my coolant at a much shorter interval than in the schedule and accept that only a proportion of the coolant will be replaced but gradually over regular changes, the stuff will remain in good condition. I think one reason for using pre mixed coolant is that these types of coolant are fussy about salts and minerals in the water so are supplied with pure stuff 

• Like 2

I suspect you are correct Geoff.

Yes, I drain and refill at shorter intervals than recommended. Radiator tap only and remove the contents of the expansion bottle.

I raise the front of the car slightly which might aid the escape of any air. I use one of those coolant filler "funnels" with the plug on a stick to use in preventing any coolant in the funnel escaping on removal. They have radiator filler adaptors to use. I "burp" the system by squeezing and releasing top and bottom hoses. Run the engine until the cooling fan turns on and the heater set at max temp..

• Like 1

Exactly how I've done it, I had seen instructions to allow the radiator fan to cycle twice then top up and keep an eye on the level for a few days 

I used "tap" because the silly censor would probably not accept the male bird description of the radiator draining device. 😇

Probably the same for that mains water thing that turns off your domestic water supply.😎

Commonly known as a stopmalebird.

Similarly that short name for a cigarette or a well known bearing brand!

• Haha 1

The chap who wrote the algorithm for that also wrote the software for Toyota speed sign recognition 🤣

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links