Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota GB statement on Theft

Rigsby

Wow, wasn't expecting that at all, pretty detailed too.

I guess insurance companies refusing insurance to Toyota RAV4 and Lexus owners was the triggering factor of this.

• Like 1

That’s a good start from them tbh. Least doing something about it. 
looking at that mine is a September 23 dynamic non plug in hybrid and looks to be not affected if I read that correctly, my dealer still fitted plates for me though when I requested. 

• Like 1

This also states the PHEV is NOT affected by the problem, contrary to rumour. However, I wonder if this will be extended to the Suzuki badged versions too? Oscarmax on here has one. 

Interesting....so my car is Nov 2023 + has the plates fitted afterwards based on what they say it should be fairly well protected.

The question is will the utter scum that are engaged in this actually read the bulletin and stop trying to go after cars/models that have updated security in place.

Truth be told if its going to be stolen/written off I'd much rather they have a self destruct on the car. I'll happily pressure wash the remains of the filth that do this thing.

• Haha 2

My trust in Toyota is greatly reduced after last nights BBC The One Show.  It highlights Toyota's oversight on security issues with their vehicles and it was broadcast on British TV last night! Nice one Toyota. 

PS. Received a call from the Toyota dealers about the BBC broadcast. They said, even though the RAV4 PHEVs are not vulnerable to this type of theft, they will fit the additional plates FOC to double ensure that its theft proof from this type technology. That's the type Toyota dealers I remember.  Better late then never.  

33 minutes ago, IRW said:

My trust in Toyota is greatly reduced after last nights BBC The One Show.  It highlights Toyota's oversight on security issues with their vehicles and it was broadcast on British TV last night! Nice one Toyota. 

And did they include all the other manufacturers whose cars are frequently stolen and becoming nearly uninsurable? Ford Fiesta, Range Rover etc? 
Perhaps if the thieving toe rags were dealt with by the police and courts as they are in other countries, we wouldn’t need additional security measures. Why blame the manufacturers because our courts are too soft? 

• Like 4

Interesting to note that the issue was fixed in production for the RAV4 HEV from October 2022 ...

Both our cars are vulnerable (the wife has a 2021 C-HR) so I look forward to getting it addressed for both.

Hopefully, the PHEVies won't feel too left out! 😉

• Haha 2

I don’t feel left out at all and it’s good to finally get a definitive answer to the question about the vulnerability of the PHEV version.

I just hope the scum who steal these cars can read and know the PHEV is not vulnerable my guess is they will likely get attached anyway. There will undoubtedly be a lot of pressure on the dealers to acquire and fit plates I can see the lead times being long.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I just hope the scum who steal these cars can read and know the PHEV is not vulnerable my guess is they will likely get attached anyway. There will undoubtedly be a lot of pressure on the dealers to acquire and fit plates I can see the lead times being long.

I think they are aware at this stage. It was funny to see them trying to snatch the same PHEV twice from the streets of Londons and they failed both times 😆

• Like 3

I was accosted by a One-Show watching colleague at work this morning, asking if I'm aware how easy my new RAV4 is to get stolen. I hadn't seen this. 
I'm a 2024MY PHEV with the protection plates installed, so I should be pretty safe against the current CANbus methods. 

Good that Toyota have acknowledged it, but surprised about the clear disclosure of the models/years that are susceptible. I guess that'll shift the insurance burden away from those not in scope towards those that are.
Will the insurance companies ask/care if you've had the protection installed? We can't even speak to an insurer these days. 

22 minutes ago, P_J said:

I'm a 2024MY PHEV with the protection plates installed

So, you've wasted time, money and a set of protection plates to guard against a vulnerability that didn't exist in the first place ... 😉

• Haha 2

One of the replies from Toyota says:

"Unfortunately, as per our latest statement, your RAV4 is a targeted model.
However, following significant investments, newly developed official Toyota security hardware components will be available very soon to fit to these targeted models.
The exact timings of the security enhancement are still to be confirmed. We anticipate being able to advise Centres with full details before the end of April.
However, a Vehicle Protection Plate is available for your RAV4, please contact your nearest Toyota Centre if you would like to have this fitted."

My reading is that the "newly developed official Toyota security hardware components" are separate from and independent of the Vehicle Protection Plates.

Any guess as to what form these hardware components take?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

My reading is that the "newly developed official Toyota security hardware components" are separate from and independent of the Vehicle Protection Plates.

Correct

Something is in the pipeline but we don't know the details yet, I think they have been as open and honest as they can be, we will have to wait, timelines were in the statement 

• Thanks 1

Fitting a cover plate? Just asking for more damage. Now I am seriously considering should I buy a C-HR next year... Insurance must be crazy. 

Yes it looks like there is a fix to be rolled out as well as the plates so will be interesting to see what form it will take. My dealer rang this morning about my mot so I booked it in and asked for the plates to be fitted as well. The mot will be middle of April so it maybe the new rollout won’t have started by then

This statement is somewhat concerning: "We cannot divulge the precise nature of the imminent security enhancement; should we do so we risk offering information into the public domain that could be of interest to criminal parties." as it means even the new fix isn't all that secure. I guess they may be constrained by what the CAN bus standard allows. 

Link to the statement with tracking removed: https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-gb-statement-on-vehicle-theft/

49 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

With the emphasis very much on guess - assuming that they are still going to allow keyless entry and start, they need to do something to replace the 'key present' signal with a 'my key present' signal. Which sounds, to me, like a change at both the sending end (where the presence of the key is detected) and at the receiving end (where the doors are unlocked, and the car switched to Ready mode). But we may never know quite how wrong that guess may be ... 🙂

They could, of course, introduce an alternative security bus, send the signal down that and remove it from the CANbus altogether.

Oh dear, I've gone into guess meltdown ... 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Strangely Brown said:

Piece of metal, a high tech **** 😉

I think the situation regarding can bus attack isn't handled by Toyota correctly. They haven't informed dealers nationwide thoroughly so that some dealer fitted to a customer's 2024 rav4 phev two protection plates. Yet I and another user in rav4 forum have had emails from Toyota UK saying that our rav4 phev don't need protection plate several weeks ago. Before I enquired Toyota UK, my dealer was saying these plates are only for those customers living in and around London, yet we know some others living in Manchester or Birmingham gotten their cars fitted with these plates. So clearly my dealer doesn't know about rav4 phev aren't affected by this can bus attack otherwise he could have told me my car doesn't need the plate right away.

6 hours ago, philip42h said:

So, you've wasted time, money and a set of protection plates to guard against a vulnerability that didn't exist in the first place

Well... depends how you look at it.

I inquired about the plates before the clarification on the PHEV not being a CAN bus attack target was received. 
My dealer was aware of the CAN bus attack issues and had ordered and offered to fit to the PHEV whilst my car was sat waiting for pickup. 
So the only thing I've personally wasted was 70 quid on some plates, which I'm ok with. 
They could arguably protect me against the next CAN bus vulnerability, when that arises. Maybe. 

Looks like there is something else coming other than just a metal plates?

image.thumb.jpeg.39a1114c2d1e3dffd877be54818da6d8.jpeg

6 minutes ago, kucyk said:

Looks like there is something else coming other than just a metal plates?

image.thumb.jpeg.39a1114c2d1e3dffd877be54818da6d8.jpeg

Yes, mentioned above, but timings and what it actually is are not available at the moment, so just speculation at the minute

• Like 1

Got exactly same reply just now. Even offered to book me in for plates to be fitted. I had them done 4 months ago. Would have thought that having giving the vehicle reg in first mail they might have known this. 

Oooh ooh is it a free Trunk Monkey Theft Retrieval System??? :clap:

BTW, these protection plates, are they visible? If so that'd be a decent deterrent. If they are only visible after they pull out the wheel arch liner that's less handy...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links