Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota GB statement on Theft

Rigsby

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Oooh ooh is it a free Trunk Monkey Theft Retrieval System??? :clap:

BTW, these protection plates, are they visible? If so that'd be a decent deterrent. If they are only visible after they pull out the wheel arch liner that's less handy...

+1, for a Trunk Monkey, brilliant.

• Haha 1

Read all the comments on the Toyota page, not clear from the various statements they made, come April (hopefully) when the new solution for vulnerable vehicles is available, will they (or the dealers) contact the owners of said vehicles?, or like the protection plates, its up to us to chase up the dealer for a fix?

1 hour ago, Rav Rob said:

will they (or the dealers) contact the owners of said vehicles?

As it isn't a recall, due to not being a safety issue, Toyota won't have access to DVLA records to obtain owner addresses.

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As it isn't a recall, due to not being a safety issue, Toyota won't have access to DVLA records to obtain owner addresses.

True but don't most dealers have records of owners? they certainly do when they are phoning and nagging me for booking services. Could they not check their data and contact owners. It wouldn't catch absolutely everyone but most RAV4s in the time range specified are highly likely to be seen by dealers service dept. regularly.

Would probably be done as a Toyota Service Bulletin, with whatever the extra security is installed at the next service or if customers contact them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, philip42h said:

With the emphasis very much on guess - assuming that they are still going to allow keyless entry and start, they need to do something to replace the 'key present' signal with a 'my key present' signal. Which sounds, to me, like a change at both the sending end (where the presence of the key is detected) and at the receiving end (where the doors are unlocked, and the car switched to Ready mode). But we may never know quite how wrong that guess may be ... 🙂

They could, of course, introduce an alternative security bus, send the signal down that and remove it from the CANbus altogether.

Oh dear, I've gone into guess meltdown ... 😁

... but that hasn't stopped me!

In the statement they say: (my editing and emphasis)  

Following significant investments by Toyota GB ... newly developed official Toyota ... security hardware components will very soon be available to fit to those targeted models registered before October 2021.

Following communication from Toyota and Lexus in the coming weeks, owners should contact their local dealer to arrange fitment.

A 'security hardware component' could be no more than a steering lock with a Toyota logo ... 😉

But I'm beginning to suspect that it could be a secondary immobiliser along with a TSB to install and configure it correctly for our cars. We understand that such an accessory immobiliser has already been offered as an accessory elsewhere in Europe.

This speculation, while great fun, is rather pointless when we will know the true position in a matter of weeks ... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, philip42h said:

A 'security hardware component' could be no more than a steering lock with a Toyota logo ... 😉

But I'm beginning to suspect that it could be a secondary immobiliser along with a TSB to install and configure it correctly for our cars. We understand that such an accessory immobiliser has already been offered as an accessory elsewhere in Europe.

This speculation, while great fun, is rather pointless when we will know the true position in a matter of weeks ... 🙂

My educated guess would be a factory in Europe is working overtime to make up a large stock of Toyota / Lexus secondary immobilisers. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, APS said:

This statement is somewhat concerning: "We cannot divulge the precise nature of the imminent security enhancement; should we do so we risk offering information into the public domain that could be of interest to criminal parties." as it means even the new fix isn't all that secure. I guess they may be constrained by what the CAN bus standard allows. 

Link to the statement with tracking removed: https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-gb-statement-on-vehicle-theft/

I didn't read it like that, I think they just don't want to give the scrotes any kind of head start.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I think they just don't want to give the scrotes any kind of head start.

Yeah, that's exactly what they are saying. My point was that knowledge about a strong security system doesn't necessarily help you in defeating it. But I think it's unreasonable to expect Toyota GB to come up with something that is highly sophisticated like a strengthening of the CAN bus protocol. Still, it is good to see that they are "on the case". 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

True but don't most dealers have records of owners? they certainly do when they are phoning and nagging me for booking services. Could they not check their data and contact owners. It wouldn't catch absolutely everyone but most RAV4s in the time range specified are highly likely to be seen by dealers service dept. regularly.

They do, but only their own customers. If I live in Manchester and buy a car from London, my Manchester dealer won't have a clue about that. For recalls, DVLA are the only people who can give TGB up to date owners details

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links