Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery drain and can’t shift out of park

sparklyblue

Hello! I have a 2001 Rav4 Mk2. Recently, the Battery went flat and after 6 hours of waiting, RAC turned up and then informed me that my alternator needed to be replaced. New one bought and fitted, told it didn’t work and unit was faulty. Upon investigation, we found fuse 28 (GAUGE) blew which cut out the alternator. Had the original one bench tested and was told it’s fine. Anyways, Battery light was on so we fitted a new one. All good.

Two weeks later, Battery light back on and it cuts out again. Now, the gear shifter has no resistance and slides freely but won’t budge from P. Also, the battery keeps being drained as it’s the third time I’ve recharged with a mains charger.

I’ve seen others with similar issues and saying connectors near drivers footwell had water ingress but I’ve checked and these are fine. Brake lights have also been replaced and are all working. Fuses all seem intact and even replaced them anyway just in case of hairline fracture. 

Any ideas?

Change the Battery it may take a charge and hold voltage but has no current carrying capacity

you will find a shift override button by the gear selector above the P light iirc, pop the cap out and push down the lever in the hole

Are you having issues with the brake lights? a bad/intermittent brake light switch will not let you take the car out of park, brake light switch 84340-42010 (2 pin) or 84340-42020 (4 pin) - if its the 4 pin type the brake light side may work but the other 2 pins may not

does the car start every time with a good Battery? if not put the key in the ignition and push up on the key as you turn it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links