Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jobs for the Boys

Bper

MP's are to get another pay rise which takes their salary to £91,000 a year. Do you think they should still be allowed to pursue other jobs as well or do you think they should only be allowed to do the job they were elected for?

• Like 2

They should be getting a pay cut, not a pay rise!! £91 grand?! Meanwhile schools and hospitals are having to shed staff because they aren't getting sufficient funding and those left are having to strike to get any sort of pay rise! It's an absolute disgrace :mad:

MPs pay rises should be tied to the pay of all public sector workers - If they don't get a pay rise, neither should those jobsworths!

We should fire some of them, they want to trim the fat? They should start with themselves!

• Like 4

I would love a politician's salary. £91000 per year, paid lunches, reimbursed taxi fares, get to sleep at work, get a second London home, and... I can have a second job too. 

Whats not to like??

180117_reuters_pol_sleeps_16x9_992.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Big_D said:

I would love a politician's salary. £91000 per year, paid lunches, reimbursed taxi fares, get to sleep at work, get a second London home, and... I can have a second job too. 

Whats not to like??

180117_reuters_pol_sleeps_16x9_992.jpg

Such an old picture. Not sure the guy in front is still alive

• Like 2

And yet nothing's changed...

None of them deserve that kind of money. None of them work as hard as public sector workers earning less than half that!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Paul john said:

I know it's old, but it proves a point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bper said:

do you think they should only be allowed to do the job they were elected for?

Most definitely! And ..... they should do what the people who elected them want, not what they themselves want. 

• Like 4

No matter which political party/parties are in power, it's the same old story, and will continue to be so. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Thats Ken Clarke standing in the foreground in that image. He's still around but in the Lords now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

Most definitely! And ..... they should do what the people who elected them want, not what they themselves want. 

They should not have second jobs outside their parliamentary duties.   As for “doing what the people want”, this is a bit too simplistic. Elected politicians meet different demands from the people in their own constituency, and in many cases the wishes in one constituency may well contradict those in another.   Their main concerns should be to press for the obvious needs that affect the public in general.

recently, on GB News, an MP was challenged about this salary increase.  He pointed out that the attendance in the House of Commons is only part of his daily schedule, and some MPs could obtain greater salaries if they went into the private sector of business - some MPs do work hard to get the best they can for their constituents.

based on the law of averages, some MPs will be tardy at the job, but this applies across the board in both public and private sectors.   At least, constituents are able to vote an MP out of office at the next election - a facility that isn’t there in other areas of society, and we all know of situations where this would be advantageous.

• Like 4

They should not be paid anything until end of term and then an amount decided on by the people that voted them in.

That would remove a lot of problems.

Doesn't help with them being generally moronic and stupid though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mjolinor said:

They should not be paid anything until end of term and then an amount decided on by the people that voted them in.

That would remove a lot of problems.

Doesn't help with them being generally moronic and stupid though.

This does beg the question, “Would you accept a job where you got no pay for an indeterminate period, and without knowing just how much you would eventually receive?”

And anyone looking to be elected would have to be very wealthy be able tyo take on the role.  It would also prevent applications for election by an immense number of people who might probably be better able to do the job, simply because they could not afford such a wait for payment.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

This does beg the question, “Would you accept a job where you got no pay for an indeterminate period, and without knowing just how much you would eventually receive?”

And anyone looking to be elected would have to be very wealthy be able tyo take on the role.  It would also prevent applications for election by an immense number of people who might probably be better able to do the job, simply because they could not afford such a wait for payment.

There is a fix for that. It should be compulsory to be an MP if you are voted to be be one by the voters irrespective of whether you want to be one or not. No selected candidates just vote for whosoever you believe would do the job you want them to do. If people do not like it then they have the option to leave the country and not live here.

It would of course take a whole new financial support system involving expenses and loans etc etc but it would mean that there is fair representation per capita and remove the unnecessary "party" system that is never good for anyone.

• Sad 1

That would be far too open to abuse to work; I do think since we're in the age of communication that we should be able to vote on things directly rather than through representation, since it's clear all MPs vote along party lines and not what we the people want.

TBH I don't know what MPs actually do that benefits us and justifies their pay. I feel like half the time it's just them doing what they feel is right, but after a few years in their ivory towers what they feels is right to them seems very often at odds with what a normal sane person would feel is right.

I definitely wouldn't try and force anyone into such a position - Part of the reason we're in this mess is largely our own collective fault: No sane good person would want that job - The reason there are so few obviously good MPs is they've all been disillusioned and put off by the abuse and false sense of entitlement directed at them - They get none of the thanks and all of the blame and that's not a place any right-minded nice person can deal with for long.

That's why most of the ones left are literal psychopaths, who are just in it for the power and don't care about what people think of them.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That would be far too open to abuse to work; I do think since we're in the age of communication that we should be able to vote on things directly rather than through representation, since it's clear all MPs vote along party lines and not what we the people want.

TBH I don't know what MPs actually do that benefits us and justifies their pay. I feel like half the time it's just them doing what they feel is right, but after a few years in their ivory towers what they feels is right to them seems very often at odds with what a normal sane person would feel is right.

I definitely wouldn't try and force anyone into such a position - Part of the reason we're in this mess is largely our own collective fault: No sane good person would want that job - The reason there are so few obviously good MPs is they've all been disillusioned and put off by the abuse and false sense of entitlement directed at them - They get none of the thanks and all of the blame and that's not a place any right-minded nice person can deal with for long.

That's why most of the ones left are literal psychopaths, who are just in it for the power and don't care about what people think of them.

You are so right there. It's the hippy in me speaking. Nice ideas but totally impractical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ministers, MPs, council leaders and business directors all have one thing in common.  They get so used to palm-greasing their own, that they forget about the lower echelons of society, and just mingle with the ‘old boy’ network.

• Like 1

My argument with % pay rises, the MP get their 5.5% pay rise or £4000+ increase, wonder what percentage that would equate to for Nurses and Junior doctors?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links