Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris hybrid battery failure

Dunkeld

Hi, bit of a miserable first post but anyway here goes!

I bought an Auris last year and it was driving fine for a few months. About 3 weeks ago whilst driving, the engine management light and orange triangle light came on and the message 'check hybrid system' (or words to that effect). The car reverted to 'power' mode and I was able to drive home normally. I phoned my local Toyota who confirmed the car was still (just) under warranty (the extended 10 year thing if you keep up the servicing), so I brought it in for them to have a look. They came back in a day or two and said the error code was for the hybrid Battery overheating and that this was due to fluff/lint/dirt in the cooling fan intake bit under the rear seats (they sent me a video showing this). So they cleaned the filter and I was told the 'Battery levels are fine', etc, and I'm good to go. I collected the car after paying for their work....warning lights all off, EV Battery working as normal, great!

You can probably guess the next part. A few days later I take my first significant journey and the same warning lights and message come back 🙂

Taken it back in and they have now phoned to say the hybrid battery is gone and I need a new one. Obviously a bit of a shock as relatively low mileage, etc. They are saying I need to pay for this as it's not covered by warranty. Is this right?  Any advice?

Hi John, obviously not a good start to your ownership.

double check the warranty details while the initial cleaning might not be covered (as it's considered maintenance), the hybrid Battery itself should be under the extended 10-year warranty if you've maintained the car as per Toyota's service schedule.

Review the paperwork you received from Toyota after the first inspection. It should outline what was diagnosed and the work performed.

Contact Toyota directly and explain the situation.They might be able to clarify the warranty coverage for the Battery replacement. Politely argue your case with the dealership

Highlight that the problem persisted after their initial cleaning, pointing out that the Battery overheating issue wasn't truly resolve.Emphasize that the car is under warranty, especially for the hybrid battery.Request a breakdown of the battery failure and why it's not covered.Ask if there's any possibility of a goodwill gesture from Toyota considering the recent cleaning and the warranty timeframe.If the dealership remains unbudging, consider contacting Toyota customer service directly. Explain the situation and see if they can intervene.You might explore reaching out to a consumer rights organisation for advice on how to proceed if Toyota doesn't offer a solution.

Keep copies of all service records, invoices, and any communication you have with the dealership and Toyota customer Service If possible, note down the date and time of your conversations and who you spoke with.

It's important to be persistent and advocate for yourself. Hopefully, with a clear understanding of the warranty and by explaining the situation, you can reach a reasonable solution with Toyota. Hope this helps:smile:

• Like 4

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

What the dealer is suggesting is that the Battery is not covered under the 10 year warranty scheme. They keep referring to the hybrid health check warranty (the 15 year thing) and say as there is not a complete set of those separate health checks (they say one missing), it's not covered.

I have phoned Toyota customer service who said they will look into it and get back to me. They person I spoke to didn't know if the hybrid Battery is covered under the extended 10 year warranty.

The car has done 58k by the way.

• Sad 2

Thought you only needed the previous one to reset the warranty ie within 1 year and 10 thousand miles 

• Like 3

That’s really is a poor customers service from your dealer. 
You don’t need a full set of health checks, you only need to have a current service or health check and car been fault free , that’s all . Hybrid Battery warning page on Toyota website states that. 
The reason why this Battery has fail at low miles is likely as a result of blockage in the cooling system and frequent higher temperature of the Battery

• Like 3

The car was definitely under warranty when I took it in with this problem (meaning service schedule up to date and under 10 years old), it was actually them that confirmed this to me. 

What I'm not clear on is if that covers the hybrid Battery? Can't seem to find a clear bit of info (or at least one I can understand!). 

What the dealer is saying is that as far as they are concerned, this problem is not covered by the standard service warranty, but rather by the hybrid health checks being done and they are saying that there is one missing (the one from last year). I didn't own the car then so don't know one way or the other for sure. I can't check the history on the Toyota app just now as they have the car and all the documents are in there including the V5 which has the VIN number (I need this to check the on the app). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dunkeld said:

The car was definitely under warranty when I took it in with this problem (meaning service schedule up to date and under 10 years old), it was actually them that confirmed this to me. 

What I'm not clear on is if that covers the hybrid battery? Can't seem to find a clear bit of info (or at least one I can understand!). 

What the dealer is saying is that as far as they are concerned, this problem is not covered by the standard service warranty, but rather by the hybrid health checks being done and they are saying that there is one missing (the one from last year). I didn't own the car then so don't know one way or the other for sure. I can't check the history on the Toyota app just now as they have the car and all the documents are in there including the V5 which has the VIN number (I need this to check the on the app). 

If the car has a valid service done within the last 12 months or 10000 miles you don’t need a separate hybrid Battery health check as this comes together and it’s called hybrid service.  
There is no such a requirement to have all health checks in order to receive hybrid Battery warranty. 
The dealer you are dealing with seems to try avoid helping you or simply wants to generate more profits and charge you for new Battery
here: 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/content/dam/toyota/nmsc/united-kingdom/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty/Toyota Hybrid Battery Extended Cover Terms_tcm-3060-1563365.pdf

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

If the car has a valid service done within the last 12 months or 10000 miles you don’t need a separate hybrid battery health check as this comes together and it’s called hybrid service.  
There is no such a requirement to have all health checks in order to receive hybrid battery warranty. 
The dealer you are dealing with seems to try avoid helping you or simply wants to generate more profits and charge you for new battery. 
here: 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/content/dam/toyota/nmsc/united-kingdom/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty/Toyota Hybrid Battery Extended Cover Terms_tcm-3060-1563365.pdf

Thanks, this is encouraging. I have to say though that reading through those terms and conditions has still left me in some confusion 🙂

Waiting to hear back from Toyota customer service and I will update the thread when/if that happens (they said it would be today).

• Like 1

The Toyota website has this under what 'hybrid components' are covered under extended warranty:

''Hybrid Battery Control Module; Hybrid Control Module; and Hybrid inverter with converter.''

and then this under 'EV components':

''Drive motor and inverter with converter''

Does that mean the Battery or am I not understanding something? Sorry, not very technical!

OK, update time.

Toyota CS got back to me and just repeated everything they'd been told by the dealer (it's not covered, etc, etc)

I started to question the details of the report they had received and I was told that it was that my vehicle had been seen the day after the warranty had expired. I knew this was not correct so checked back through my emails and discovered that the car had gone in 3 days before the warranty had expired and had been seen the next day! Seriously. And by the way, we are only talking about a few days ago, this isn't some distant past thing.

I then phoned to explain this and was asked to send in the emails that show this (I did). I also asked for an explanation as to why this wrong info was sent/recorded.

Next thing I get an email back saying it was just a miscommunication about the dates and that, regardless, the vehicle wasn't covered anyway. I reply quoting them everywhere where it explains that hybrid vehicle services include a Battery health check and that the car was serviced as scheduled (by them!) and up to date. I also explained that both Toyota and the dealer had confirmed that the car was under warranty before I brought it in. I confirmed that I am complaining and asked for a reference and explained what I would like as resolution.

Not heard anything back.

In the meanwhile, I had contacted the dealer to try to speak to the manager and was promised he would call back...never happened. I phoned again and manged to speak to someone senior on the the sales team. He wanted to hear the story and when I explained it all he seemed genuinely concerned and said he would investigate and get back to me.

I then get a call from the service manager. It wasn't the easiest of calls but I appreciate that he picked up the phone to do it....he first agreed/confirmed that a normal Auris service includes a hybrid Battery check. I explained that the vehicle was serviced to schedule, etc. He then starts giving examples of why something might not be covered under warranty (even if the car is under warranty)....things like if, at the last service it had been suggested to replace the hybrid Battery and it wasn't done, etc, etc. To be clear, he didn't say that was the case with my car but obviously felt this was important to get across. We then have a difficult back and forth where I am asking why the default position seems to be for them to look for 'outs' re the warranty, which he didn't like but it's most definitely what they seem to be concentrating on. So it was left with he'll have to 'dig out' the paperwork from the last service (which was done on schedule) to see what was mentioned about the battery, etc! Apparently this will take till Monday!

No explanation has been given about the wrong dates and no explanation given why I was told the hybrid battery levels were 'fine', only for the battery to die on it's next drive.

Sorry for the long post. 

Got to be honest and say I'm really disappointed with Toyota CS and how they've dealt with me till now. Not the slightest hint of them advocating/speaking on my behalf to the dealer....just all about the dealer being right. Then, after I proved they were wrong on both important points, no polite recognition of their errors or any change of tone. There was one guy I spoke to at CS who was really concerned and sounded interested to help, but sadly I got referred back to his colleague who has been deflective and defensive and his simply repeated everything the dealer told them. This has not endeared me to Toyota I have to say.

• Sad 4

Another update.

I've managed to get the My Toyota app up and running so I can now see the service history. Surprise, surprise, it shows that a hybrid health check was carried out last year by them (less than one year from me having the problem and bringing it in).

For those that have been following, this is the year they told me was missing!

Wow, just wow.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Wow is a very mild word to use to describe downright lies and attempts to cover up the truth and last but not least to abdicate the responsibility of adherence to the Toyota warranty. Disgraceful!!!

• Like 5

Further update. I phoned Toyota CS to explain that I now have the evidence to show that the service (and hybrid health check) was carried out within 12 months of bringing in the car. They 'couldn't get it to show on their screen' and asked me to send in screen grabs which I have done.

Why am I the one having to prove/disprove everything?

It's simply beyond belief that the dealer would deny this has been done, 'mix up' the dates, etc. 

I've decided against collecting the car (which they wanted me to do), it can stay at the dealer until this is resolved. This is really inconvenient for me to say the least but it feels like the right way to handle it.

Whatever happens, I'm going to insist that the complaint is followed through and maybe look at the Motor Ombudsman. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Dunkeld said:

Further update. I phoned Toyota CS to explain that I now have the evidence to show that the service (and hybrid health check) was carried out within 12 months of bringing in the car. They 'couldn't get it to show on their screen' and asked me to send in screen grabs which I have done.

Why am I the one having to prove/disprove everything?

It's simply beyond belief that the dealer would deny this has been done, 'mix up' the dates, etc. 

I've decided against collecting the car (which they wanted me to do), it can stay at the dealer until this is resolved. This is really inconvenient for me to say the least but it feels like the right way to handle it.

Whatever happens, I'm going to insist that the complaint is followed through and maybe look at the Motor Ombudsman. 

Fully support you in your fight for your rights. It seems like Toyota gb and the dealer in question are working against they word. Toyota website says up to 15 years hybrid Battery warranty 

• Like 4

Hi, just wanted to check in and say I have some eyebrow-raising updates from the last couple of days which I will detail soon but I'm just holding fire because yesterday evening (for the first time since this began) there was an indication that Toyota UK 'might' be starting to take this seriously.

I'm all for giving people a fair chance to make amends for their mistakes so they have a couple of days. 

• Like 6

One tip information to mention, but can be useful to others, when contacting with Toyota do so through Facebook messenger. The reason is that started from there can easily and quickly lead to connecting with top top people who can help and support your enquiries. 
Good luck 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 5:21 AM, Dunkeld said:

I'm all for giving people a fair chance to make amends for their mistakes so they have a couple of days.

Definitely keep the pressure on Toyota to get this resolved. It should be covered under their warranty.

For anyone else following this, it's worth periodically checking the air intake fan and grilles. The pic from last weekend shows my Yaris 6 months after it was last cleaned. 30 minutes spent cleaning the grilles and fan blades can help to prevent any overheating issues.

20240331_143455a.jpg

• Like 1

In UK, you can have up to 15 years warranty with regular hybrid system check every year/10k miles.  Regardless you do the maintenance in or not in the dealership.  if the annual inspection/ maintenance done by dealership,  then the hybrid system check is automatically included.  for DIY, you can do just hybrid system check for £50 in dealership.  

everything is recorded online and dealership must do what the HQ policy said. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links