Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2014 2.0 D4D with high mileage

Jockthescot

I'm looking at an ex taxi with very high miles- about 311k! The MOT history is very clean and it's been serviced and maintained well, as far as I can tell. It's been out of taxi use for a couple of years now.

What do you guys think? I don't plan to do much mileage myself, probably use it once a week and clock up around 7000 miles a year. I was going to buy something petrol but this has just popped up and it's pretty tempting.

Any specific things to look out for?

Thanks for any advice!

Head gasket job done? Taxi use = a lot of idling = bad to the dpf etc.

Hi Jock,taxis are typically well maintained because their livelihood depends on it. A clean MOT history and good service records are positive signs.

Ex taxis are usually cheaper than similar private use cars. taxis are known for their reliability. Even with good care, 311k miles is a lot. You might have considerable repair bills sooner than with a lower mileage car. 

Taxi interiors tend to take more wear and tear from passengers Ex taxis may not hold their resale value as well. Since you only plan on doing 7,000 miles a year, this car could last you a good while. Consider the fuel costs. Diesel might be cheaper per mile, but factor in potential repairs specific to diesel engines. Check for rips, tears, and excessive wear on seats, carpets, and door handles Test drive for any unusual noises or vibrations Look for leaks, smoke, or unusual ticking sound.

Get a mechanic to verify the service history if possible.This could be a good deal, especially if the price is right.  However, be cautious and factor in the potential for repairs down the line.  If you're comfortable with the potential risks and the price is good, it could be a solid option if you are only doing low mileage. Hope this helps :smile:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, avetoy said:

Head gasket job done? Taxi use = a lot of idling = bad to the dpf etc.

I think it will have done a lot of motorway miles to reach 300k in ten years.

Is the head gasket a scheduled service item?

DPFs scare me. I had a 2010 Skoda which died due to the DPF. But I also had a 2013 VW with the identical engine, and its DPF never gave me any trouble at all. So I was under the impression that VAG had managed to sort that issue (the newer car clearly had a more sophisticated regen procedure, you could hear the fan running on at the end of a drive sometimes. Something that the Skoda never did).

What are Toyota DPFs like? 

I suppose what I'm really asking is, are there any specific service items that this car should have had by this point?

I'm guessing it will have had a great two timing belts by now? I've never owned a car with this sort of mileage so I'm not sure what else to expect.

One thing to check - the D4D engines as they age can get problems with cold starting, taking a lot of cranking and white smoke, and it's not due to the glow plugs but other issues with the injectors or rail pressure.

Once the engine is warm they're fine on subsequent starts and will start first time, but that first start can be rough. Ideally you want to see it start up from stone cold.

But overall, 300k is a lot of miles, at that point there's a lot of stuff which will have either worn out and been replaced, or well on its way - water pump, alternator, aux belts, tensioners. I wonder if it's had some wheel bearings replaced.  The later D4Ds had a timing chain, which didn't need replacing but at over 300k miles I'd wonder what condition that was in. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Jockthescot said:

Is the head gasket a scheduled service item?

No, but it is a very common fault in 1AD-FTV and 2AD-FTV diesels. The problems already started in the T25 models and continued in the T27 models, even though it wasn't supposed to. Some have had even the entire engine replaced under warranty. 

Very expensive, I can tell because I've had an Avensis 2.0 diesel (T27 with dpf) and the hg job had to be done at 330kkm. It was ex taxi too...

• Like 1

If you only need it for 7k miles a year, I'd certainly be looking at petrol. Diesels are more economical but far greater potential for expensive repairs. And at 311k miles, it has certainly seen its best days.

• Like 1

Personally, with that mileage and previous use I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Injectors, pumps, gaskets, bearings etc., will all be way past their best and likely need replacing soon. Its cheap for a reason. If your annual mileage is low, get a straightforward simple petrol, like a Yaris which are far, far less complex to maintain and repair than a TD, plus they have a lot less to go wrong. My opinion.

• Like 2

Honestly any car that has 200k + miles is a high risk purchase. 
There is higher risk  over 100k car major components to go bad and to bring unpleasant surprises and costly repairs. 
7000 miles a year is kind of low to average use but if the car fail it will fail not as a result of your drives but as from the previous uses. 
Cars like that at cheap price can be a cracking buy for DIY ers and mechanics who can work on their cars and can source cheaper parts. 
I run an Auris hybrid myself, the car travels an average of 200 miles a day, it has over 270k miles and it is in pretty good shape, but I have the car from early years and low miles, I do all maintenance by myself too so it is very different story. 

• Like 3

If car is like Triggers brush from only fools and horses then all will be well. 😃

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Cars like that at cheap price can be a cracking buy for DIY ers and mechanics who can work on their cars and can source cheaper parts. 

That is so true. If you are completely at the mercy of repair shops, it will be expensive. 

Maybe this is irrelevant, but a friend of mine once said, "If a car has a broken alternator, for example, the owner of a German car says the car needs maintenance, the owner of a Japanese car says the car needs to be repaired".

• Like 2

I mean at 300K miles almost everything is going to need replaced sooner or later unless the work's already been done. You could take it to a shop and just have them have a look at it. If it looks like there's a lot of newer/new parts then I would be less concerned. But otherwise I would say you'd have to start saving up for a new engine and then add that to the total cost of the car.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links