Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is a Paint Protection Film on a new car worth it?

olddriver

Just noticed 2 small chips, one 2mm and the other a pinprick, in the nose of my GR86, so a simple touch up paint job as I think the bumper is plastic.  However I was wondering about having the nose and maybe the bonnet covered in PPF, but don’t know the cost, anyone have any experience, comments or advice?  I don’t think I had any chips in my Corolla bonnet, and of course that has an unpainted bumper and a grill, so maybe just have the film on the nose of the GR86.

@olddriver it is hard to tell.   If someone was brave enough to have their car done in stripes or squares....

All I can say is I have had no chips of any description in 4 years over 2 cars.

In contrast my Mercedes did get chips that I touched up with a fine knit paint pen.

What I can say is I have not polished either treated Toyota and both come up shiny after a wash with washing-up liquid.

"Hands that do dishes ....."

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

@olddriver it is hard to tell.   If someone was brave enough to have their car done in stripes or squares....

All I can say is I have had no chips of any description in 4 years over 2 cars.

In contrast my Mercedes did get chips that I touched up with a fine knit paint pen.

What I can say is I have not polished either treated Toyota and both come up shiny after a wash with washing-up liquid.

aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Yeah, I hardly ever washed my Corolla but it always looked clean presumably because of the lacquer, it is showing it’s age now though 😞

However, I intend to wash the GR a bit more often with Autoglym Shampoo Conditioner as it is not lacquered.

EDIT, interestingly for some reason, I got numerous chips in my Corolla windscreen.

It's quite common for people with pricier/sports cars to PPF them, or at least do the nose, but it is inexplicably expensive and you HAVE to tell your insurance or they'll void it if they find out.

I have to say mine is surprisingly free of nose chips so far; I'm not sure if it's because of the large amount of plastic or the supagard still somehow protecting the paint. By comparison, my radiator looks like I've driven through a flock of baby pigeons, an autumnal forest, and a bee-hive :eek: 

It might be worth trying a good quality ceramic coat to see if that helps before committing to PPF. The 10H hardness ones especially should give some protection from stone chips, but those can also be expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also thank you for not considering a 'car bra', which are blights on the landscape and one of the ugliest things to infect the enthusiast market! (That and light eyebrows... brrr! :eek:  Why do people buy nice cars and then do that to them! Do they not have functioning eyes?? :eek:  sorry rant over :whistling1:)

• Haha 1

Not to mention the faded car poppy strapped to the bumper..🙄

• Haha 2

Giant poppy, giant red nose, giant stuffed toy... are these all to help the pedestrian collision rating? :confused1: :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Back end of cat. 

What,  however,  is a car bra?

What I do rather fancy is a leather radiator muffler in black leather with a small zip window for ventilation. 

That reminds me, my Ford Anglia had an under engine tray that reduced splash.   I asked my Triumph dealer to fit something similar  "not invented here --- Warranty " teeth sucking.

• Haha 1

In the past I have had two cars treated from new.  After three or four years the finish showed no visible difference to aany other car on the road, and I now don’t bother to pay out for such treatment. An occasional Snow Foam and polishing with a good quality polish (I use Turtle Wax) and the car looks good.

I have my reservations about washing up liquid - this has grease dispersal additives and may not be kind to car paintwork.

• Thanks 1

I assumed that Roy was joking when he suggested he washed his car with washing up liquid, it’s great for removing grease from your dinner plates but not so on car bodywork, as it’s a degreaser it will strip the wax you’ve so carefully applied or had applied, it also contains salts which can encourage rust, the only time you might have a case for using washing up liquid on your car, is on the windscreen to remove stubborn traffic film but then only use it sparingly…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Primus1 said:

the only time you might have a case for using washing up liquid on your car, is on the windscreen to remove stubborn traffic film but then only use it sparingly…

I read somewhere that even then, it’s best to use screenwash!

I use Autoglym Fast Glass to clean all the car windows.

Although I now have a Toyota, I still use VAG Group undiluted screen wash, and use it full strength all year round.  I have found an outlet where I get a 5-litre container cheaper than a 1-litre container from a VW franchised parts dept.

7 hours ago, olddriver said:

I read somewhere that even then, it’s best to use screenwash!

👍

1 hour ago, Haliotis said:

I use Autoglym Fast Glass to clean all the car windows.

Although I now have a Toyota, I still use VAG Group undiluted screen wash, and use it full strength all year round.  I have found an outlet where I get a 5-litre container cheaper than a 1-litre container from a VW franchised parts dept.

I bought a 25 or 50L container of Autoglyn screenwash 😉  Used about a third so far!

I use Gtechniq G6. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links