Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to permanently disable LDA?

convcabbages

Hello

I have a 2023 Corolla ZR Hybrid. I strongly dislike the LDA safety feature, so I disable it in the settings. However, every time I start the car the setting is automatically re-enabled without my consent.

How do I permanently disable this feature?

Some settings reset every time you start the car, depending on year and specific model unfortunately. 

on my 23 you can turn off certain settings and they stay off, but the new 24 models here don’t allow this and reset after every restart. 

while you might be able to disable them through obd programming, it might affect your insurance. 

Hi.Ergdefrg,unfortunately manufacturer safety systems are often designed to prioritise being active by default.  There might be a setting to turn it off, but it might reset for safety reasons.

Check your car's manual it might have instructions on how to disable the LDA and explain if it resets upon startup.

Contact your Toyota dealer they might be able to advise on any settings or modifications to disable LDA permanently if possible.

It's important to prioritise safety while driving before disabling any safety features.

The LDA system is there to assist you and prevent lane departure accidents.Disabling safety features might be risky, especially on unfamiliar roads.

I hope this helps:smile:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi.Ergdefrg,unfortunately manufacturer safety systems are often designed to prioritise being active by default.  There might be a setting to turn it off, but it might reset for safety reasons.

Check your car's manual it might have instructions on how to disable the LDA and explain if it resets upon startup.

Contact your Toyota dealer they might be able to advise on any settings or modifications to disable LDA permanently if possible.

It's important to prioritise safety while driving before disabling any safety features.

The LDA system is there to assist you and prevent lane departure accidents.Disabling safety features might be risky, especially on unfamiliar roads.

I hope this helps:smile:

Thanks for the reply, but not really. The LDA is literally a hazard on poorly marked roads, or roads that have seen extensive roadworks, not to mention during emergency maneuvers. It only functions correctly under near ideal conditions.

6 hours ago, sportse said:

Some settings reset every time you start the car, depending on year and specific model unfortunately. 

on my 23 you can turn off certain settings and they stay off, but the new 24 models here don’t allow this and reset after every restart. 

while you might be able to disable them through obd programming, it might affect your insurance. 

Would you be able to provide more information on obd programming? How would I get started with this?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, convcabbages said:

Would you be able to provide more information on obd programming? How would I get started with this?

On VW vehicles there was a dongle you could plug into the OBD port and using an app on your phone you could customise various features - it went beyond what you could achieve with a normal scan tool.

The one I had was called OBD eleven, I see they cover Toyotas but I only used the VW one:

https://obdeleven.com/supported-vehicles?Toyota

You were able to program many things that the dealers couldn't do. Have the brake lights flash in different patterns, turn off stop/start permanently, etc.

On VW cars you just paid for an app extension to unlock whatever feature you wanted, but it doesn't seem to be available for 2019+ Corollas, so you'd have to learn what to program manually yourself.

However you might have warranty/insurance issues if you change things away from standard spec.

6 hours ago, Bper said:

Lol. The intention might have been to improve safety but I hope it's an improvement on the (thankfully optional) version fitted to my '19 Corolla.

• It usually positions the car on the outside of the lane (makes me wonder if it's not been configured for right hand drive).
  • It often starts drifting the car across the lane only to correct itself later.
  • Sometimes it's just 'twitchy' not helped by my instinctive attempt to hold it steady. It makes for a good workout for my arms but does nothing to enhance safety and certainly not comfort.
  • It fights any attempt by me to change lanes or even just take a slip road for a fraction of a second and then just releases the wheel sometimes requiring me to back off to avoid oversteering.

At best it detracts from the driving experience and at worst it borders on dangerous.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sportse said:

On VW vehicles there was a dongle you could plug into the OBD port and using an app on your phone you could customise various features - it went beyond what you could achieve with a normal scan tool.

The one I had was called OBD eleven, I see they cover Toyotas but I only used the VW one:

https://obdeleven.com/supported-vehicles?Toyota

You were able to program many things that the dealers couldn't do. Have the brake lights flash in different patterns, turn off stop/start permanently, etc.

On VW cars you just paid for an app extension to unlock whatever feature you wanted, but it doesn't seem to be available for 2019+ Corollas, so you'd have to learn what to program manually yourself.

However you might have warranty/insurance issues if you change things away from standard spec.

The VW one is great...you can change so many settings and i don't know why with the number of Toyota cars they have never done the same.

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Lol. The intention might have been to improve safety but I hope it's an improvement on the (thankfully optional) version fitted to my '19 Corolla.

• It usually positions the car on the outside of the lane (makes me wonder if it's not been configured for right hand drive).
  • It often starts drifting the car across the lane only to correct itself later.
  • Sometimes it's just 'twitchy' not helped by my instinctive attempt to hold it steady. It makes for a good workout for my arms but does nothing to enhance safety and certainly not comfort.
  • It fights any attempt by me to change lanes or even just take a slip road for a fraction of a second and then just releases the wheel sometimes requiring me to back off to avoid oversteering.

At best it detracts from the driving experience and at worst it borders on dangerous.

Andrue, Don't shoot me I didn't design it, I was just pointing out it's a safety feature which it is. If there is a way to deactivate it through the OBD port and a decent scan tool then thats up to the individual and any consequences that this may have by doing so. I would also suggest if its that bad then owners should contact Toyota and let them know.:smile:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bper said:

I would also suggest if its that bad then owners should contact Toyota and let them know.:smile:

Oh I have several times don't worry! :eek:  :laugh: 

The problem is a lot of this stuff is off the shelf and developed by another company and just integrated into the car.

I just find it ironic that these safety systems make things more dangerous in many situations! :eek: 

My personal view is we should be improving drivers, not adding more fallible tech and overcomplicating vehicles, but hey ho...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Oh I have several times don't worry! :eek:  :laugh: 

The problem is a lot of this stuff is off the shelf and developed by another company and just integrated into the car.

I just find it ironic that these safety systems make things more dangerous in many situations! :eek: 

My personal view is we should be improving drivers, not adding more fallible tech and overcomplicating vehicles, but hey ho...

Even if some parts were designed by external vendors, Toyota likely holds the overall design patents for Toyota Safety Sense and integrates different components to function as a whole system.

Overall, while some technologies within Toyota Safety Sense might  have third party origins,Toyota likely designed and integrated the suite as a whole.

Considering this has been around since 2015 and according to many owners it still has a number of flaws. What part of the Safety Sense System does work or is the complete suite flawed. 

It's true the more technology being incorporated into cars the greater the chance of problems.

With most technology it is prone to bugs and these are normally ironed out with updates to the software. It would appear from comments that it hasn't.

As far as we should be improving drivers I think its gone way past this now. 

There are a few ways to improve drivers, both on an individual and a broader systemic level. 

Taking defensive driving courses or attending workshops on specific skills like motorway driving or handling emergencies can significantly enhance a driver's knowledge and decision making abilities.

Distracted driving is a major cause of accidents. Encouraging drivers to put down their phones, avoid eating or applying makeup while driving, and minimize conversations with passengers can significantly improve focus on the road.

Safe Driving Habits these include maintaining a safe following distance, obeying traffic signals and speed limits, using signals properly, and being predictable in lane changes.

Vehicle Maintenance Keeping your car in good working order with regular servicing and attention to tyre pressure, lights, and brakes is crucial for safe driving.

Systemic Improvements

Advanced Driver training encouraging or mandating additional training for new drivers, especially young drivers, this can equip them with the skills to handle different road conditions and emergencies.

Traffic Law Enforcement,strict enforcement of traffic laws, especially regarding speeding, drunk driving, and distracted driving, deters risky behavior and improves overall road safety.

Road Design,Well designed roads with clear signage, proper lane markings, and good visibility can minimize confusion and reduce the likelihood of accidents.

Advanced Vehicle Technology Development and implementation of features like lane departure warnings, automatic emergency braking, and blind spot monitoring can assist drivers and prevent accidents.Of course with this one if it works.

By focusing on both individual driver behavior and broader systemic       improvements, we can create a safer driving environment for everyone   on the road.

All of these ideas could be implemented but who is going to pay for them. Certainly won't be the individual and the Government will sing the praises of these ideas but they wont pay for them. So catch 22.

If after 9 years and Toyota and with all it's resources still can't get its safety systems working properly, it shows all the talk on driverless cars being the future is just pie in the sky.:smile:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bper said:

Encouraging drivers to put down their phones, avoid eating or applying makeup while driving, and minimize conversations with passengers can significantly improve focus on the road.

I do all that, including not applying my makeup while driving. 😉

• Haha 2

To my mind, two things that would help greatly are:

1 - better enforcement - Right now there is virtually zero enforcement of road laws except where it's easy money (e.g. speed cameras, bus lane cameras and yellow box junctions). Even police routinely break the speed limit when just driving around normally, and I nearly had a collision with an ambulance that was just hooning up the A1 and weaving through traffic like they'd forgotten to turn on their blues and twos, and the amount of people who can't keep their car in a lane or just ignore red lights is getting ridiculous.

2 - on capturing said offender, instead of handing out fines and points, which do jack, they should just force them to watch every single video of Ashley Neal,  DGN Driving and Conquer Driving on repeat until their lessons sink in :laugh: 

• Like 1

The OP's IP address comes up as Australia. The Federal Government is aware that Australian safety standards are falling behind, and looking to align standards with those of the EU. So safety systems like autonomous emergency braking and possibly lane keep assist may well become compulsory on new cars in the short term.

• Like 1

I thought I'd experiment with this on single carriageway roads today. I have previously only used it on motorways. On the outward journey it actually seemed okay. On one occasion the icon turned orange and it beeped at me for no obvious reason but otherwise it was unobtrusive.

Coming back for some reason it lost one or other of the lane edges (I assume that's what it means when the angled lines on the dash are not solid) on several occasions. It also beeped at me two more times.

But coming back I use cruise control for part of the route and that changed how LDA was working. It became a lot more active and twitchy as I'd described before. I wouldn't have wanted to drive like that for long but once I cancelled CC it became relatively passive again.

• Like 1

Hi Andrue, as i don't own a Toyota with the safety sense I came across an article that highlighted some of the issues you have just posted.You may be aware of some of these already but perhaps others are not.

There are a couple reasons why lane departure warning (LDA) can still cause issues for drivers.

LDA relies on cameras or sensors to detect lane markings. These systems can be fooled by things like, poor lane markings added, dirty, or uneven lane lines can make it difficult for the system to read them accurately. Shadows cast by trees or oncoming headlights can confuse the system. LDA might struggle with transitions between different road markings, like broken lines versus solid lines.While LDA is a warning system, some drivers might misinterpret it as an autonomous driving aid. This can lead to complacency and a lack of focus on the road.

While the core tech has been around since 2015, car manufacturers are constantly improving and adding features to LDA. This means newer functionalities, like lane centering with cruise control, might have their own quirks and require some getting used to for drivers.:smile:

Here's what to remember:

LDA is an assistance system: It's there to warn you, not take over driving.

Stay focused: Don't rely solely on LDA to keep you in your lane.

• Like 1

Another problem with LTA and LDA is they may be affected when using a space saver.

I tried today on a moderately winding and undulating road with hands off.  It worked well, for some of the time.  

When centred and tracking it followed the bends well. I took over and then went hands off.  The car hunted with moves towards the centre and then back to the edge.  Once or twice it was aiming too close to the edge.

Overall I find it works well enough on good 2-lane A roads but could be unnerving on a country B road.

I find it works best in slow traffic or Motorways or Motorway-esque A-roads. The main requirement is clear markings and no steep turns.

It's useless on normal urban roads, but it's not designed for that so that's fair enough, and it's dangerous to use on some A-roads as it'll just suddenly turn off right before a steep turn, sometimes without any notification or beep and if you're not paying attention you could easily crash.

If you're using it as directed (i.e. hands on the wheel and not relying on it) then this is not a problem, but I feel that does negate a lot of its usefulness.

I use it extensively on long boring motorway runs to alleviate the inevitable shoulder ache that usually manifests after 2 hours of holding a steering wheel in roughly the same position!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

I tried today on a moderately winding and undulating road with hands off. 

LDA and LTA are not autonomous drive systems, they are assistive technology. You take a grave (as in you may end up in one) risk if you think you can go “hands off” in any Toyota. 

• Like 1

I found a few articles that say LDA becomes LTA with CC so that explains why it became more active. The difference was unpleasant. LDA was hardly noticeable other than occasionally beeping (I assume that means it thinks I was leaving the lane). LTA was irritating and disconcerting.

2 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

I found a few articles that say LDA becomes LTA with CC so that explains why it became more active. The difference was unpleasant. LDA was hardly noticeable other than occasionally beeping (I assume that means it thinks I was leaving the lane). LTA was irritating and disconcerting.

On the Prius Gen 4 you can turn off LDA (fortunately) but it comes with a secondary setting “LDA with steering wheel assist”. So if you wish you can have the alerts without the interactive “push” by just disabling that function.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Oh yeah, when you're using the radar cruise, that also activates the auto-steer mode (LTA). Normal cruise control doesn't do this though, and you can turn off the auto-steer with a short press of the button that looks like a car crossing dashed lines (Assuming the icon is the same on the Corolla wheel...)

• Like 2

On my 23 the LDA is smart, if you are lightly holding the wheel and drift towards a line it will correct you and show the flashing orange side line in the dash. 

but if you grip the wheel tightly and deliberately move it to cross a line without indicating it allows you to and shows a green side line. 

If you use a signal to change lanes, there will be no tug back

using radar cruise LDA follows the M1 markings beautifully 

The radar cruise with lane keeping is also useful for reducing steering effort when driving in high winds. 

• Like 1

Part two of my experiment yesterday evening because I was travelling along a motorway. It was as unpleasant as I remembered. It can't hold steady in a lane. It's not enough that other drivers might notice but the wheel is constantly twitching under my fingers. Very disconcerting and if it's being transmitted down to the road wheels I worry about the impact on tyre life.

On the way back it was raining and several times it gave up because it couldn't see the white lines on the M40. I never had any problems.

I also noticed that on a couple of occasions on A roads with just LDA it helped me (unnecessarily) round right had bends. It seemed a bit too keen to keep me away from the kerb. To be honest that wasn't an unpleasant sensation. However when the road was clear I tested it on a couple of left hand bends and it only kicked in when I was practically over the white line. So a sort of nice idea but unreliable as well.

And the occasional beep is nothing but a distraction. Being encouraged to look at the dashboard when you're at risk of unintended departure from your lane seems dangerous.

It's simply not fit for purpose on my '19 Corolla and I'd class it as a dangerous feature.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links