Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

OBD protectors Yaris does any one have one

MardyMarvin

Not sure if I am just getting carried away with all this panic about car theft etc but does any one have ones of these OBD port protectors. I find it a shame that if the car companies know about these kinds of attacks they dont protect against them better. Like make it not work unless you have the key.

I have turned off the smart entry and start system to try and negate the chance of the relay theft attack (I find it a bind constantly putting it into a Faraday pouch)  and in a way prefer having to push a button to open the car.

I have a steering wheel lock to make it a little harder well at least might put them off or make then move to an easier target without a lock.

Hi, 

on Yaris I don’t think anyone has it. These cars aren’t target as there is no market for them as stolen vehicles. Generally speaking you need to worry more where you park as the small cars are subject of parts and body panels thefts, been mentioned here by other members who found their cars stripped off. There are always a risks of gets into trouble but that’s why we pay insurance. If unlucky, just let insurence pay for the car. 

We picked up our Cross yesterday and the technician turned off the Smart Entry system for us (a surprising easy option in the setup menu) and I have also turned off fob transmission primarily to save Battery life, although it appears that you have to reset that each time you use the fob which seems to be a bit of a pain.  I also purchased a steering wheel lock.  I have been looking for an easy solution for an OBD socket protector but the dealership couldn't help apparently and all the online purchases seem to require quite a bit of messing about with the socket itself which I don't really want to get into.

Seems a bit strange that not only Toyota but all manufacturers have not looked at this and provided their own solutions to help inconvenience the more sophisticated/organised crime thief.

53 minutes ago, MardyMarvin said:

Not sure if I am just getting carried away with all this panic about car theft etc but does any one have ones of these OBD port protectors. I find it a shame that if the car companies know about these kinds of attacks they dont protect against them better. Like make it not work unless you have the key.

I have turned off the smart entry and start system to try and negate the chance of the relay theft attack (I find it a bind constantly putting it into a faraday pouch)  and in a way prefer having to push a button to open the car.

I have a steering wheel lock to make it a little harder well at least might put them off or make then move to an easier target without a lock.

You don't need to do the above (highlighted) as you can just "switch off" the fob after each use with a simple: hold the lock button (pressed) and then double click the unlock button at the same time.

The fob's led will respond with two double flashes (4 in total) and then go to sleep mode. In this mode, no-one can clone your fob and gain access...

To re-activate, press either of the buttons.

Well, unlike Kia's and Hyundais in the US, Toyota cannot be stolen just by using USB cable which apparently fits in the ignition tumbler 😉 More on the subject: Google "Kia Boyz"

4 hours ago, Paul60 said:

We picked up our Cross yesterday and the technician turned off the Smart Entry system for us (a surprising easy option in the setup menu) and I have also turned off fob transmission primarily to save battery life, although it appears that you have to reset that each time you use the fob which seems to be a bit of a pain.  I also purchased a steering wheel lock.  I have been looking for an easy solution for an OBD socket protector but the dealership couldn't help apparently and all the online purchases seem to require quite a bit of messing about with the socket itself which I don't really want to get into.

Seems a bit strange that not only Toyota but all manufacturers have not looked at this and provided their own solutions to help inconvenience the more sophisticated/organised crime thief.

yes I asked the dealer the same thing and they just looked at me blankly so I knew there was no point carrying on the conversation.

3 hours ago, CPN said:

You don't need to do the above (highlighted) as you can just "switch off" the fob after each use with a simple: hold the lock button (pressed) and then double click the unlock button at the same time.

The fob's led will respond with two double flashes (4 in total) and then go to sleep mode. In this mode, no-one can clone your fob and gain access...

To re-activate, press either of the buttons.

yes I have done that on the spare key but I have also found on the main key its very simple for it to turn it self back on as something only has to click the button and as its in my pocket.

I shall leave the smart entry disabled as Toyota have confirmed this disables the ability for a relay theft so I dont have to be so worried about that aspect.

Hi there, thanks for your comment.

Yes, disabling the smart entry function on your Yaris will mean that the signal will not be able to be extended by thieves. Keeping your key in a signal blocking Faraday pouch will also prevent this, although make sure to keep both the spare and the main key protected.

Thanks,

Toyota UK

If a pouch is a problem, get a small box where you usually leave keys and put your keys in that. Obviously, a Faraday type or lined with tin foil.

Faraday key box

And remember to try if it works at all 😛 

Deleted 

Key fob goes to sleep on new cars now, so wouldn't depraved this feature on a new car. As mentioned, no market for stolen Yaris, they go for more expensive bigger model like RAV4 or even Chr now. 

• Like 2

Absolutely. 
Rav4 is ultra popular suv in eastern countries like Ukraine, Russia, Moldova, and others countries  around where usually stolen cars from Western Europe and around the world finds their place for a second life. Yaris is of no interest and no one actually cares about these little motors. Only local thieves help themselves with body panels , wheels, bumpers etc to use on accident repairs, Yaris like most other small cars are subjected to accidents and been bought after for repairs by young people and mechanics. 

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links