Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.2 icon tech Manual corolla Reviews

boybee

Hi,

I currently have the 1.5 hybrid 2018 Toyota Yaris and am not very happy with it 😞 Its just feels very sluggish and slow, especially on hills and I don't enjoy driving it very much at all. 

I was looking at trading in and going for the Corolla but wanted to get opinions on the 1.2 Icon tech manual, I have seen a couple that are within my price range and all have very good mileage (which seems to good to be true). Are the manuals just as sluggish as the the 2018 Yaris hybrid? Are they okay on hills? (I typically pull out of a junction straight into an incline) or should i try and go for a hybrid 1.8 version?

Hi Heather,The 1.2L Toyota Corolla with a manual transmission might not be the best for you, given your experience with the 2018 1.5 Yaris hybrid. 

1.2L Corolla Manual is less powerful, the 1.2L engine in the Corolla has less horsepower than your Yaris hybrid. This will likely result in slower acceleration and sluggishness, especially noticeable on hills.

More Control on Hills with skill a manual transmission can give you more control over your car on inclines. By engaging the right gear and using engine braking, you can manage your speed effectively. However, mastering this technique takes practice, and it might not be ideal for stop and go traffic situations.

1.8L Corolla Hybrid, has more power the 1.8L hybrid engine offers significantly more power than both the 1.2L Corolla and your Yaris hybrid. This translates to better acceleration and a more responsive driving experience, especially on inclines.

Automatic Transmission, the hybrid Corolla comes with an automatic transmission, which is generally more convenient to drive in traffic.

Fuel Efficiency,The 1.2L Corolla will likely have better fuel efficiency than the 1.8L hybrid. However, the difference in mileage might not be as substantial as you expect, and the added benefit of a more enjoyable driving experience with the hybrid might outweigh the slight fuel economy improvement.

If you prioritise power and ease of driving, especially on hills, the 1.8L Corolla hybrid seems like a better choice. It will address the sluggishness you're experiencing with the Yaris and provide a more comfortable driving experience.This is just my opinion and i am sure others will agree or disagree as to their preferred choice. Hope this helps:smile:

10 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi Heather,The 1.2L Toyota Corolla with a manual transmission might not be the best for you, given your experience with the 2018 1.5 Yaris hybrid. 

1.2L Corolla Manual is less powerful, the 1.2L engine in the Corolla has less horsepower than your Yaris hybrid. This will likely result in slower acceleration and sluggishness, especially noticeable on hills.

More Control on Hills with skill a manual transmission can give you more control over your car on inclines. By engaging the right gear and using engine braking, you can manage your speed effectively. However, mastering this technique takes practice, and it might not be ideal for stop and go traffic situations.

1.8L Corolla Hybrid, has more power the 1.8L hybrid engine offers significantly more power than both the 1.2L Corolla and your Yaris hybrid. This translates to better acceleration and a more responsive driving experience, especially on inclines.

Automatic Transmission, the hybrid Corolla comes with an automatic transmission, which is generally more convenient to drive in traffic.

Fuel Efficiency,The 1.2L Corolla will likely have better fuel efficiency than the 1.8L hybrid. However, the difference in mileage might not be as substantial as you expect, and the added benefit of a more enjoyable driving experience with the hybrid might outweigh the slight fuel economy improvement.

If you prioritise power and ease of driving, especially on hills, the 1.8L Corolla hybrid seems like a better choice. It will address the sluggishness you're experiencing with the Yaris and provide a more comfortable driving experience.This is just my opinion and i am sure others will agree or disagree as to their preferred choice. Hope this helps:smile:

Thank you !!!

• Like 1

Wait, what 1.2 are you lot talking about??

The only one I know of is the 8NR-FTS and that's turbocharged! It's way more powerful than the Mk3 Yaris hybrid's engine!!

That said, if you like the size of the Yaris, try and get the Mk4 hybrid - On paper it's still only 1.5L, but in practise it's waaay more powerful than the Mk3 :naughty: 

• Like 2

Either of the Corolla 1.2t manual or 1.8 hybrid will be better and more refined to drive over Yaris hybrid  mk3. I test drive not long ago a Corolla excel with 1.8 122bhp hybrid and it was perfectly fine driving in all conditions. Feels light and nippy, not a fast car but very respectful. If you about faster acceleration and motorway drives perhaps the 1.2t manual will be more suitable. Try one, and then try 1.8 and see which one you like more. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

Wait, what 1.2 are you lot talking about??

The only one I know of is the 8NR-FTS and that's turbocharged! It's way more powerful than the Mk3 Yaris hybrid's engine!!

That said, if you like the size of the Yaris, try and get the Mk4 hybrid - On paper it's still only 1.5L, but in practise it's waaay more powerful than the Mk3 :naughty: 

I'm looking at the Toyota Corolla Icon Tech Hatchback 1.2 VVT-i Icon Tech.

The 1.2T will be the quickest but economy will be 40-45 mpg and won't match the 1.8 Hybrid's 60-65 mpg.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2024 at 3:47 PM, boybee said:

I'm looking at the Toyota Corolla Icon Tech Hatchback 1.2 VVT-i Icon Tech.

I was just wondering if you were both talking about a different engine as to my knowledge Toyota don't produce a non-turbocharged 1.2L engine, and the 1.2L turbo they do make is a very torquey engine; I think bper might have forgotten to take his pills when he posted that :laugh: 

The 1.2T will have worse fuel economy than any of the hybrids, but it is a very strong engine and pulls really nicely, almost like a diesel. For some reason I thought it had 134HP but Parkers says it only has 114HP, but this is still fine as all the power is in the middle, not at the top, so it's much more useable and you don't have to rev the nuts off it to make progress.

If you like the Yaris though, maybe try and upgrade to a Mk4 - It absolutely hauls the proverbial donkey :naughty: :laugh: 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I was just wondering if you were both talking about a different engine as to my knowledge Toyota don't produce a non-turbocharged 1.2L engine, and the 1.2L turbo they do make is a very torquey engine; I think bper might have forgotten to take his pills when he posted that :laugh: 

The 1.2T will have worse fuel economy than any of the hybrids, but it is a very strong engine and pulls really nicely, almost like a diesel. For some reason I thought it had 134HP but Parkers says it only has 114HP, but this is still fine as all the power is in the middle, not at the top, so it's much more useable and you don't have to rev the nuts off it to make progress.

If you like the Yaris though, maybe try and upgrade to a Mk4 - It absolutely hauls the proverbial donkey :naughty: :laugh: 

Cyker,you are absolutely right i had forgotten to take my pills when i posted my response:oops:. And to make it worse when i read it back later after posting I actually realised that I own a 1.2T Auris,doh.:iim: However I did PM the OP with a revised post along with informing of my mistake. I was told that she is now going to look at a Mazda CX30,and should she not like it then will hunt down a Corolla manual. Thank you for reminding me to take my pills in future especially before posting but more importantly I must learn to read before and after posting.:book:

Thank you again and may all your easter eggs be chocolate.:biggrin:

• Haha 1

Phew, I was starting to wonder if I was in a topsy-turvey bizarro world :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links