Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Hybrid battery disharge

bob jaggard

Hi All

I have a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid, purchased new France and by all accounts appears to be identical to UK model bar LH drive. It has been sitting in an underground park for 4 - 6 weeks now doesn't wish to start even after the recognised jump start system. What do you believe is the problem and any thoughts on a solution. Rgds Bob J

23 hours ago, bob jaggard said:

have

23 hours ago, bob jaggard said:

Hi All

I have a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid, purchased new France and by all accounts appears to be identical to UK model bar LH drive. It has been sitting in an underground park for 4 - 6 weeks now doesn't wish to start even after the recognised jump start system. What do you believe is the problem and any thoughts on a solution. Rgds Bob J

Hi Bob,

Is the Toyota warranty still live as this car is just about 4 years old ?

I only can guess, this could the jump start you used was lower power than your RAV 4 engine power ?

If when you try and start the car, there is no electrics at all, all dead, in this case it could be the sparks, specially if this area has mould...

The other possibility it could be the car starter, in this case you may witness some electric when trying the start the car...

The last option, if you can get someone else Battery and try it on your car, if all works, then you have to replace your Battery.

Having saying this, I am not sure if the conventional Battery is linked to the engine hybrid battery on these cars or not...

Hope you find a solution very soon...

Good luck

Topic moved to the Rav4 forum.

One thing to be aware. A friend asked me how to jump start his late wife's CHR, it had been stood since she went it hospital. But when he tried to jump it nothing. I went down with my jumper pack and it started immediately. On checking his jumper pack it appeared to have brass crocodile clips, but there was only a wire going to one side. On the vehicle when you pull up the little plastic clip  to access the brass connector to jump start. The brass is only on one side, so when he connected  the crocodile clip the side that had no electric connection was connected to the brass strip and the one with the electrical connection was connected to the non conductive plastic strip. On my jumper pack there was an electrical connection to both sides of the crocodile clip. 

Worth checking as you might think the jumper Battery is flat or worse there's a major problem with the car. 

On 3/30/2024 at 2:47 PM, bob jaggard said:

Hi All

It seems likely that the 12V auxiliary Battery has become discharged while sitting idle for 4-6 weeks. It is a known 'limitation' of the hybrid system that the auxiliary Battery can become discharged if the car isn't used regularly.

The problem is usually easily overcome via the 'jump start' method - i.e. using a secondary Battery or 'jump start' pack to boost the voltage delivered by the auxiliary battery for just long enough to get the car into Ready mode. You imply that this doesn't work: "doesn't wish to start even after the recognised jump start system" - can you clarify exactly what has been done and by whom? (A competent breakdown service would be able to accomplish this without difficulty.)

If the auxiliary battery is excessively discharged, to the state that the battery is damaged, the auxiliary battery would need to be replaced.

It is highly unlikely that there is any issue with the hybrid traction battery ...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links