Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla or avensis

CelicaZoo

Hi

Looking for a cheap a reliable car. ( Less than £2500 ) Only do about 5k miles a year 90% local with occasional weekends away so my kids can go to festivals.

Mainly used for short trips with the dogs, going to the tip etc

Torn between a 2006 Corolla or avensis 

The avensis is obviously bigger but not sure about reliability , maintenance yearly costs  etc

Plus or minuses ?

Cheers 

Hi,  I can only really comment on the Avensis of that age, my father had a 2.2L D4D T3X hatchback, which was extremely well built, reliable over 10+ years and very comfortable.  I think the Corolla hatch of that age was quite a bit smaller so for me would opt for the Avensis if you have kids, dogs etc.

Thanks..am I correct that a pre 2007 avensis diesel had no dpf ?

Avensis 1.8 petrol 2006 onwards - super reliable car

I think the 150HP 2.2L D4D engine did not have DPF up-to circa 2010.  Not sure about the 2.0L but suspect not.  

8 hours ago, Niky said:

Avensis 1.8 petrol 2006 onwards - super reliable car

I was under the impression the pre 2007 models were far more reliable?

31 minutes ago, JasonM said:

I think the 150HP 2.2L D4D engine did not have DPF up-to circa 2010.  Not sure about the 2.0L but suspect not.  

Ah so I can look for later models. Thanks

Hi Peter,The 2006 Toyota Corolla is known for being a very dependable car with low ownership costs.It has good MPG ,and its ideal for your short trips. It has good safety ratings for a car in its class.Its also easy to maneuver in tight spaces and better for parking. Possibly likely to be cheaper to buy within your £2500 budget.

A couple of things against it would be it has less passenger and luggage space compared to the Avensis.Also it may have fewer features or comforts than a higher trim the Avensis.

The 2006 Toyota Avensis offers more room for passengers and luggage and can be ideal for weekend trips and the dogs etc.It may have a more comfortable ride and more features depending on the trim level. It  might be slightly less fuel efficient and have slightly higher maintenance costs compared to the Corolla. It can be bit trickier to park and maneuver in tight spaces.

Also it might be harder to find a good condition Avensis within your £2500 budget.While Toyotas are generally reliable, the Avensis might have a slightly higher chance of needing repairs compared to the Corolla although this depends on the specific car's history etc. If your main priorities are reliability, affordability, and good mileage, the Corolla is the better choice. It's perfect for short trips and easy to manage.

If you prioritise space and comfort for occasional weekend trips with the family and dogs, the Avensis is an option. But be prepared for slightly higher running costs and the potential for a higher initial price tag. IMO If possible, try taking both cars for a test drive to see which one feels more comfortable and suits your needs better.Make sure you get a history check on any car you're considering to ensure it's been well maintained etc. I would also do some research on  the specific maintenance costs etc for the Avensis model you're interested in to get a better idea of the yearly costs. I hope this helps:smile:

Thanks so much. I've had a chat with my wife and really the car would only be used for short trips with the dogs otherwise only one or two people so I need to work out whether we could fit 1 maybe 2 dogs in the boot for very short trips 

Cheers

10 hours ago, CelicaZoo said:

I was under the impression the pre 2007 models were far more reliable?

Pre 2006 use lots of oil, this had been sorted September 2005, but better go 2006 onwards. I had an Avensis 2006 1.8 petrol manual and it was a great car in terms of reliability, also very easy to work on if you are doing basics DIYs. I was averaging 39ish mpg. Sold it to my brother in law at 140k miles he did another 50k miles and only changed brakes and alternator. The most annoying for me was the wind noise from the wind screen

Currently have the 2006 Corolla, the 1.6 petrol is better than the 1.4 petrol imho.

As said the Avensis does offer more space, but the Corolla is a bit more nimble around town and the car parks.

Reliabilty about the same, but for nearly 20 years old  do not expect perfection ; Our 2000 Avensis did need its Timing belt changing every 60k,  the Corolla 1.6 has a chain.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links