Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross Excel -Air con vent at back?

Lynnette Deakin

I am thinking of selling my RAV4 AWD Design  19 plate and buying a Yaris Cross Excel, which seems to match the sort of spec which we already have.

I have 2 questions for those of you who have this grade of Yaris Cross:  1. Is there air con vents in the back for our dog? 2. Is there an automatic hold button for the handbrake so that it comes on automatically?

Edited by Lynnette Deakin
To add the model name

There is no air vent.

There is a Brake Hold button but it must be selected after each opening of the driver's door.  I have only used the a Toyota for 4 years and still only remember to select it at the first traffic stop.

• Like 1

Thanks Roy.

How is the Yaris Crossover to drive?

We like a comfy softer type suspension rather than a harsher one. 

We love it.  I can cruise at 70 should I really want to travel long distances,  but on our local A1 65 ìs quite comfortable and efficient. 

It feels twitchy if the tyres are overinflated but at normal pressures with the Goodyears its good.   It doesn't like potholes, but what car dies.  If you look ahead you can miss many. 

Dogwise our Scottie travels in a nylon travel kennel, no issues with temperature.  With the Excel you could turn the temp down and heated seat and steering wheel on 🙂

• Like 1

Topic moved to the Yaris Cross forum.

4 hours ago, Lynnette Deakin said:

Thanks Roy.

How is the Yaris Crossover to drive?

We like a comfy softer type suspension rather than a harsher one. 

Buy a different car most uncomfortable car I’ve ever owned terrible on local roads. 🚜 more comfortable 

• Like 1

It’s funny how opinions differ.  I loved my YC suspension.  I thought it was perfect.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dezzer21 said:

terrible on local roads. 🚜 more comfortable 

Take out a subscription to FixMyStreet.  Our village roads are first class as is my route into town.

The town itself is a disgrace and it is the District town.   I think the County has something against them.

• Like 1

I would imagine a Citroen or Peugeot would ride the potholes better than the cross, but you won’t get the reliability or excellent fuel economy with them, ( although Citroen has much improved lately) mines equipped with falken tyres which wouldn’t be my first choice but I find it’s comfortable enough, mines on 18” wheels but people say the smaller ones ride better, there’s no rear vent but if you set the centre one’s straight ahead, it will probably cool the rear enough for your dog..

I just set the brake hold button every time I start the car, I kinda go through a set sequence, push brake pedal, push start button, push brake hold button, then set off, ( seatbelt on of course)..

• Like 2

Actually the French cars are way worse than Toyota in terms of drivability, comfort, seat support and particularly road bumps cancelling.
Vw group cars are one of the best amongst the normal brands and of course the top German ones like Mercedes’ and bmw lead ahead in these categories.
Tyres , types and how pressures are set are ultra important here.
I like to watch other cars while travelling on the motorways and I noted that Yaris cross wheels travel up and down similarly to a larger cars which means one thing, this car suspension works and cushion the road imperfections well. And of course the the icon or description specs will have smoother ride and less road noise becomes of the more rubber on the wheels they have. 

Hi Lynnette, I see that others here (it's an excellent forum with a lot of very knowledgeable folk) have answered the air vent and brake hold Qs

I would very much recommend that you get a test-drive in the YC Excel: don't be fobbed off by some indifferent salesperson "oh, drive this Design spec car, they're all the same really". They're not, seats are different, ride might be different because.... as others have said, in Excel trim, the YC comes with 18-inch wheels and 50-section (lowish) profile tyres and these are less than ideal on my local cratered and deteriorating roads. If your roads are good, no problem, you're lucky....I changed the wheels/tyres to 16-inch 65-section (topic in this forum) and this improved the bump absorption very significantly and combined with all-season tyres, gave a very noticeable reduction in road noise. Having the AWD YC (with a different rear suspension to FWD) I have no issues at all with its longer-wavelength ride: strikes a good balance between too soft/too firm.

But....not everyone will want the hassle of changing wheels/tyres, and my recollection of driving a RAV4 is that it has a fairly soft ride and, anyway, it's 2-3 sizes up from a YC (assuming Corolla, CHR are the intermediates) so make sure you can live with the YC's ride/handling balance on a long and varied test drive. Also....rear room is tight in the back - and I mean very tight - for tall drivers/passengers (the YC isn't a big car) so remember to look at that

Overall, the YC (it's a second car in our family) is perfect for our needs, I regularly see epic mpg figures when driving with any degree of mechanical sympathy even with a towbar-mounted bike rack (and bike) on board. Good visibility, nice small turning circle, easy to use infotainment system (if you're a RAV owner you'll know the Toyota quirks anyway), very good LED headlights, lots of safety features as standard

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Roy124 said:

it must be selected after each opening of the driver's door

It must be (re)selectd each time the seatbelt is undone….

Having just undertaken my first ever motorway trip in the cross albeit only for a few miles I noticed..2 things…

1 - I can’t believe I’ve never driven on a motorway since owning it, dual carriageways yes, but not a three lane motorway 

2, I found it very comfortable and refined at motorway speeds I’m sure on longer journeys it will be just fine, the road( A1) was very smooth in the few miles I drove but , with the state of our roads, I’m sure the tyre noise will increase on a rougher section, but that would probably be the same with most cars in this class..even so, it’s not uncomfortably noisy..

• Like 1

For me that's one of the biggest differences with the new hybrid vs any of the previous petrol-engine'd Yarisusesieses - None of them really had the oomph at motorway speeds that the turbo-diesel had, but the new one either does or can at least fake so well as makes no difference, which makes motorway runs much more pleasant.

It shares that with my old diesel, in that while it isn't actually very powerful, it can fake it really well at legal speeds :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links