Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyres for Yaris Hybrid Mk4 (17' wheels)

MG95

Hi everyone,

My 2024 Yaris Excel just arrived (very excited!) and it comes with Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 tyres.

They are OK so far, but I noticed in the EU tyre label that they are poorly rated in terms of fuel consumption and this video test comparing the Yaris on 16' Continental EcoContacts with a Yaris on 17' Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 got significantly lower fuel consumption figures (~10% less, at any speeds) for the Bridgestones.

Do you guys recommend a different tyre for the 17' Yaris for when a replacement comes due? Preferably more economical, comfortable and grippy than the Bridgestones (which are not rated very highly in terms of wet grip either). Any experiences?

Thank you.

P.S.: I would not change the wheel size to 16' or lower. I know it would help fuel consumption and comfort, but these 17' look too good for me to change them 🙂

• Like 1

That's more to do with the difference between 16" and 17" - 17" rims are heavier and have more rotational mass and that means more inertia, and more energy is required for the same acceleration to overcome the increased inertia. In stop-start traffic especially, it has a noticeable effect on mpg.

TBH with tyres, I've never been that convinced the ratings actually mean anything; On my old diesel the tyres I had the best mpg on were rated E while the ones rated A just had very poor lateral grip but otherwise didn't improve mpg noticeably.

I tend to just go with whatever premium tyre is the cheapest - In the past ones I've used that were good were Hankook Ventus Primes, Goodyear EfficientGrip, Dunlop BluResponse, Conti PremiumContact. Worst ones I've tried were Cooper CS2s.

Goodyear EfficientGrip seems to be the best price/performance atm, although if you have an ATS Euromaster nearby, I  think they still have a big discount going for Michelin rubber.

• Like 2

As regards the EU tyre labelling, the difference in fuel consumption between an A rated tyre and E rated tyre equates to around 0.5 litres per 100km (62 miles) - based on a petrol car.

The difference between each rating (ie a B rated tyre vs a C rated tyre, or a C rated tyre vs a D rated tyre) is around 0.1 litres per 100km (62 miles). Or around 1 litre per 1000km (620 miles).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MG95 said:

more economical, comfortable and grippy

...pick two 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got the same tyres on my design 16", find them to be good/fine, getting 70's in summer. 

• Like 2

I just thought that maybe not everyone is aware that (pretty decent, at least IMO) tyre comparison and review website, tyrereviews.com, also has custom score weighting - because "best tyre" has the same meaning as "best car" 🙂 = it depends heavily if you want to beat the score on the race track, lower your fuel consumption or just fit your family of six for a summer trip.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre-Tests/Results-Grid/2023-Tyre-Reviews-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm 

It helped me a lot when picking winter tyres for a previous car. Right now I have what Toyota installed on the OEM rims but will definitely use it again to pick the replacements.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links