Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Auris 2010 1.4 battery dead, can't unlock door

CalinV

Hello,

So... I havent started my Toyota Auris in a month, and most probably my Battery died, so I can not unlock it remotely from the key button. And it seems that it also wont work manually, the key is not turning into the door lock - havent use it in 10 years. I will try tomorrow to spray some WD40 in the door lock, maybe it will help..

But, is there another way to unlock the car? Maybe from the hatch door ?I didnt see any key entry in the back, but I saw some post that there might be one hidden under the back plate number. Does anyone knows about this?

Many thanks. 

• Like 1

Hi, 

your only option is to use the mechanical key. Better spray we-40 now and leave it to stand overnight instead of spraying tomorrow and trying to unlock shortly afterwards. We-40 tonight, then in the morning again and try in the afternoon and you may succeeded. 

• Like 2

Don't take this the wrong way but do try rotating the key in both directions, and putting it in the lock upside down!

And you haven't somehow had your keyfob swapped accidentally or deliberately?? Sometimes thieves will do it and come back later to drive your car away 😔

If you've never used the physical lock it can be a bit stiff/seized - WD40 will help a lot there; Also the stubby little key adds extra difficulty because of the lack of leverage, but WD40 and some wiggling should get it open!

Just be aware the alarm may go off, if not when you unlock the car, then when you change the Battery! Just start it or press the remote unlock to shut it up.

• Like 2

You may have deadlocked the door  by pressing the lock button twice within 5 seconds of each pther. I am not sure if you can open a deadlocked door with just a physical key, as i think its an electronic operated latch in the lock. I will have a go tomorrow, but it might work for me as you have a dead car Battery and i do not.

You cant even open a deadlocked door from the inside using the door handle and door lock/unlock button in the drivers door, once thats armed. This feature is supposed to prevent window smash and open door crimes.

Best option would be to open bonnet somehow and recharge Battery. Also easier said than done when you are locked out. Recovery man might be able to assist if you tell them its deadlocked with a flat car Battery.

Rear number plate removal will not open the rear hatch to get inside car.

The external mechanical lock should still work without power, as it's the only way to get into the car if the Battery is dead, and as you suspect the deadlocking only disables the inside lock controls.

It's one thing I'm thankful for Toyota's sanity - With some cars, e.g. Tesla, the locks are all electronic so if the 12v dies you're screwed - The only way to get in is to take the front bumper apart to get at the emergency jump contacts and power the 12v system long enough for the body control module to power up so you can activate the electronic locks! :wacko:

• Like 1

Im pretty sure that deadlocks prevent both external physical key turn action and internal lock operations.

Its essentially a secondary electronically operated latch which overrides the normal latch mechanism (door lever or key operated)..

Screenshot_20240403-012626.png

I can confirm physical key cannot be used to open a deadlocked (bouble locked) auris. It only opens by pressing the remote button.

So either the car Battery is flat, or your remote Battery is dead/faulty. Tried your spare key?

I've read the car's manual, and it doesnt  say how to open the car if the Battery is dead. But I've done a picture of the keys I have, I believe both of them should work to manually open the door, right?

IMG_20240403_142034701_AE.jpg

6 hours ago, solero said:

I can confirm physical key cannot be used to open a deadlocked (bouble locked) auris. It only opens by pressing the remote button.

So either the car battery is flat, or your remote battery is dead/faulty. Tried your spare key?

Ack that's super bad news if true - How are you supposed to get into the car if the 12v Battery is dead then, as is the case with the OP?

Can you open the boot with the key...?

It's very surprising as my friend was able to get into his Auris several times with the mechanical key when it went flat over covid, but I don't know if it was dead-locked.

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Ack that's super bad news if true - How are you supposed to get into the car if the 12v battery is dead then, as is the case with the OP?

Can you open the boot with the key...?

It's very surprising as my friend was able to get into his Auris several times with the mechanical key when it went flat over covid, but I don't know if it was dead-locked.

Likely not deadlocked, or "feature" not available on the car.

I must admit I am now wary of deadlocking my car until I atleast have a backup pull cord for the bonnet latch in an emergency.

2 options:

Call recovery who will balloon wedge open the door from window corner. Then insert long hook to pull bonnet latch.

Other option (if you have long skinny arms like ET is to pull bonnet latch from underneath the engine bay.

Not sure how accessible auris mk1 is, but mk2 is not easy either.

17 minutes ago, solero said:

Likely not deadlocked, or "feature" not available on the car.

I must admit I am now wary of deadlocking my car until I at least have a backup pull cord for the bonnet latch in an emergency.

But what do you mean by deadlocked ?  

6 minutes ago, CalinV said:

Deadlocked means double locked in toyota speak. Manual lock + secondary electronic lock. Read above thread for more info.

7 minutes ago, CalinV said:

In most Toyotas, not sure about other makes, if you lock the door twice, either with the key or pressing the lock button twice, it locks the door so it can't be opened from the lock switches inside the car, so you need the remote or key to unlock from the outside.

2 minutes ago, Cyker said:

In most Toyotas, not sure about other makes, if you lock the door twice, either with the key or pressing the lock button twice, it locks the door so it can't be opened from the lock switches inside the car, so you need the remote or key to unlock from the outside.

Key cannot still be used on a deadlocked auris mk2.. I tried it on mines.

Yeah that is super weird - You could on all my previous Yarisesusiesesess... :unsure:

I wonder if the system unlatches if the Battery dies, otherwise I don't understand how you're supposed to get in if you can't unlock the boot either!

• Like 1

Hi !

As Tony said before, spray some WD40 in the lock barrel, wait a while and use mechanical key, or a little bit complicated, remove the wheel arch left or right side trim above the wheel in order to reach door connector, and helping with a 12V Battery and cables, touch the door actuator wires to unlock the door, it should be red and blue wire.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 9:43 AM, solero said:

So either the car battery is flat, or your remote battery

Case closed! WD40 is a miracle worker! Two twists and the door opened!

Many thanks to everyone for your solutions! 

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links