Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MY23 Corolla - Wiper judder!

Chainbreaker

I replaced the original Denso Wiper Blades with Bosch wipers as they were badly contaminated with tree sap, have got lots of judder on the long wiper blade on the drivers side. Have checked the wiper arms aren't bent, also made sure the windscreen is immaculate, been clayed and degreased with IPA.

One thing I've spotted is that the wiper hook clip on the longer one is quite loose compared to the short wiper which isn't juddering. The long length of that wiper means the play is accentuated compared to the short one. Also, the Bosch wiper blade have quite a lot of tension on them and it looks like the wiper blade is too flat?

20240407_161641.thumb.jpg.e428701d5923df2215d6cf23f24fccae.jpg

Would this cause the judder? I'm struggling to think of anything else. If it is that I'm open to suggestions on which Wiper Blades to go for?

One of the main causes of wiper judder is the "angle of attack" of the blade to the screen. This is noticeable if you only have judder in one direction of blade sweep. You need to check the blade is at right angles when it is not quite touching the screen.  allowing the natural flex of the blade to adapt to the direction of travel. A gentle twist with pair of pliers can usually fix this (just put some cloth between the pliers and the wiper arm to protect it) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Corollanutter said:

One of the main causes of wiper judder is the "angle of attack" of the blade to the screen. This is noticeable if you only have judder in one direction of blade sweep. You need to check the blade is at right angles when it is not quite touching the screen.  allowing the natural flex of the blade to adapt to the direction of travel. A gentle twist with pair of pliers can usually fix this (just put some cloth between the pliers and the wiper arm to protect it) 

Already been checked, arms are straight.

• Like 2

Bosch wipers aren’t good one of lately. Denso hybrid are best wipers for these cars 🚙 

• Like 1

Can the hook clips be switched over? If so, swap them out and see if the problem jumps.

• Like 1

Mine have always juddered in light(ish) rain. There's also an area that smears and has from new. I've tried everything to clean the area but still does it. It's not bad enough to obscure my view but it is irritating.

• Like 1

An update. Bought Denso wipers (Made in Japan - a rare thing these days!).

Night and day, has solved the juddering and squeaking. Also noticed the connection to the wiper arm is much tighter and has better tolerances.

A shame about Bosch wipers, their quality has gone downhill massively in recent years, same as their tools etc.

20240412_154356.thumb.jpg.4fbce18c4a923d1b7440c20a4166e7e4.jpg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Chainbreaker said:

Night and day, has solved the juddering and squeaking. Also noticed the connection to the wiper arm is much tighter and has better tolerances.

A shame about Bosch wipers, their quality has gone downhill massively in recent years, same as their tools etc.

I don't think Bosch wipers quality have gone downhill you have probably just been unlucky.

I am on another car forum and hundreds of owners have fitted Bosch and have had no issues.

Glad you got sorted.

• Like 1

I used Bosch on previous auris and was disappointed. Have used with no problem on other cars.

Current car was struggling for a rear and got Bosch and poor - smears and juddering. 

Now I just use OE wipers from toyota or their eBay store and they do a good job. Maybe toyota has an odd shape/glass/coating

Edited by trashman1965
Spelling
  • Like 2

My PIAAs are now 3 years old, still silent and working as well as they did when new! :biggrin:  (Actually, even better now it's had time to lay down a hydrophobic coating on the replacement windscreen!)

With Bosch, I find their quality varies quite a lot - I found their regular wipers were trash, but from what I've seen their aero-blades are much better.

• Like 1

I worked for Bosch automotive in another eu country and I know how Bosch wiper used to be and I can confirm  that todays times they are totally different quality from before. Denso or Michelin wipers are much better. 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 5:27 PM, Chainbreaker said:

I need to replace the wipers on mines and was about to order some Bosch, can I ask where you got your Denso from? Do they come in a pair for the front?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cb918 said:

I need to replace the wipers on mines and was about to order some Bosch, can I ask where you got your Denso from? Do they come in a pair for the front?

I got mines from Eurocar parts, just put your reg number in the website and they should show up. You'll need to buy the two separately, don't come as a pair

• Like 1

Full report needed in 2 months time - don’t let us down 🫡

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A bit out of topic....

Had my car serviced this week- 4th(40k miles) one. Few recommendations from the dealer below

Wipers full set £65ish

Tyre rotation front to back/back to front £75

Aircon service recommended every 2 years £90 - they did recommend this on my 2nd service last year which I accepted without thinking at a time - yeah the car is 22 reg and got 42k miles already 

Guess if I've accepted any of the recommendations above? Nooo - dealer's prices are a bit unreasonable, aren't they? 

Ended up doing the tyres myself (got 2 big 3 tones jacks at work) and bought full set of wipers for £20ish from Eurocar parts, which I fited myself. Even got one of those aircon sanitiser sprays together with the wipers.

I would love to service the car myself too, but the warranty bit makes it quite boring - can't touch anything 😀

• Like 3

My local main dealer did the front to back swop free, as part of the service. 
£75 is crazy, an tyre place would do it for a much lower price.

• Like 2

These days everyone is looking for an extra cash. Dealer prices are way too high for anything outside regular service, even this is too expensive but agreed, just to keep the warranty. AC every 4 years together with brake fluid as part of the regular maintenance. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links