Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Android Auto Query - Updated Infotainment

Freypal

Hi All - We recently took delivery of a 2024 Rav4 PHEV so it has the newer infotainment screen. I've been having a play with getting Android Auto setup and wanted to check I've understood what it can do correctly...

I understand that Android Auto is wired only, but it seems like if I set the mobile device to work via wired Android Auto then it disables the bluetooth media connection? Ideally what I wanted was for the car to connect via bluetooth for Phone and Media using the Toyota system and then if I choose to plug in the phone via USB it would switch to Android Auto automatically. This doesn't seem possible though?

If I'm connected to phone and media via bluetooth and then plugin the phone nothing happens, I need to manually go into device settings on the car and enable Android Auto. If I do that and then unplug the phone I need to then manually re-enable bluetooth media in the car device settings to get it to reconnect... Seems like there is no way for the car to automatically switch between Toyota bluetooth media and wired Android Auto? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

Simon, what you say is correct and the phone is indeed disconnected when you select AA.  However all is not lost as BT and Phone are handed over to AA.

Same result,  just a different way of doing it.

But doing this means that if I get into the car and don't plug the phone in, then it won't connect to media again until I either manually re-enable bluetooth media it in the car settings or plugin for android auto?

Basically if I enable android auto I have to commit to plugging the phone in via usb every time I get in the car or I have no media connection? It's not necessarily a problem I just wanted to make sure I've understood It right. Although it would just be nice if the Toyota system connected via bluetooth as a backup incase I don't plug it in...

Not if it is Smart Connect as in my Yaris Cross.

If I get in the car without my phone I will only have the standard maps display. 

If I have my phone in my pocket, and my phone is the one connected to the car, the Phone soft tab will show my phone.  I can then call up the phone book of recently used numbers and initiate a call.  Or i can scroll through the phone contacts on the car display. 

If I now plug in my phone it takes over the previous phone link.  I can now use voice control to make my phone calls.

If I have Amazon music or Spotify,  and AA is set up to access these then I can call Google and request a tune.

There will be many other features but this is all I use.

Is that OK?

• Like 2

I've bought an after-market wireless Android Auto that plugs into the USB port and it's worked really well for the last month or so - takes about 30 seconds for AA to connect automatically every time I get in the car, even if the phone is in my pocket.  This is with a 2019 my.

Google Carlinkit 5.0

I got myself Motorola MA1 Android Auto wireless adaptor and it works a charm. Phone doesn't even leave the pocket on short journeys and on longer journeys I use wireless charging pad. I personally not too keen on loose cables in my car and all this plug-in-and-out malarkey. 

13 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Not if it is Smart Connect as in my Yaris Cross.

If I get in the car without my phone I will only have the standard maps display. 

If I have my phone in my pocket, and my phone is the one connected to the car, the Phone soft tab will show my phone.  I can then call up the phone book of recently used numbers and initiate a call.  Or i can scroll through the phone contacts on the car display. 

If I now plug in my phone it takes over the previous phone link.  I can now use voice control to make my phone calls.

If I have Amazon Music or Spotify,  and AA is set up to access these then I can call Google and request a tune.

There will be many other features but this is all I use.

Is that OK?

So my RAV seems a bit different to this... 

If I have the phone connected to the car via bluetooth and then plug it in via usb nothing happens. I have to manually enable AA in the car device settings screen. AA then takes over and it disconnects the phone from bluetooth.

Once I've done that, wired AA stays enabled and the bluetooth connection stays disabled until I manually switch them over again in the car settings. There is no automatic "hot swapping" between the two connection methods as far as I can tell. The car settings screen will not allow both methods to be enabled at the same time. When I enable AA on the car settings, a popup box appears saying it will disable bluetooth.

Just wondering if anyone with the same updated RAV4 infotainment system is able to confirm this is normal?

Simon, that is as I suggested.   With AA connected can you make phone calls?

What else are you trying to do with BT?

Oh yep, when AA is connected I have no issues. Phone and media etc works just fine.

The issue is more that if I have AA enabled on the car settings, jump in the car with my phone in my pocket or in a bag somewhere and forget to plug it into USB and drive away then I'll have no phone or media capability connected to the car. I'd need to stop, find the phone and then plug it in to get phone/media working again.

In this scenario it would be nice to have the bluetooth connection kick in as a backup.

23 minutes ago, Freypal said:

The issue is more that if I have AA enabled on the car settings, jump in the car with my phone in my pocket or in a bag somewhere and forget to plug it into USB and drive away then I'll have no phone or media capability connected to the car. I'd need to stop, find the phone and then plug it in to get phone/media working again.

That shouldn't be [quite] true - you need to check exactly what it says in the manual for your car.

I think the magic statements are:

• Devices connected via Android Auto cannot use Bluetooth® functions other than hands-free calling.
  • In case of USB connection, if the USB cable is unplugged, Apple CarPlay or Android Auto will stop operating. Audio output will stop and the screen will switch to the multimedia system screen.
  • Even if Android Auto is disconnected, the hands-free phone system can be used because the phone will still be connected.

So, as you observe, if you have AA enabled you need to have a plugged in USB cable to play media from your 'phone. You should be able to use a bluetooth hands-free phone connection irrespective of whether the USB cable is connected. If that isn't working, you may need to look into the AA implementation or settings on your phone since Toyota state that "the hands-free phone system can be used because the phone will still be connected".

I seem to remember getting a little frustrated when I set mine up recently. 
On the infotainment screen, when you 'enable' Android Auto, it 'disables' the Phone and Media options - which made me think the same "that means I have to plug it in every time!" 
But, with the phone disconnected from cable but connected via bluetooth, if you leave the Phone and Media settings enabled, all is good. 
When you connect phone via USB, the Android Auto connects, which turns off the Phone and Media settings (as Phil says, it hands-over those functions to AA). 
But when you then disconnect the phone, the Phone and Media settings get automatically enabled again. 

So it does work fine whether connected or not - it just seems a little unintuitive that the Phone and Media settings turn off when you first allow AA. 
They should ideally 'grey out', to let you know they're not disabled as such, merely currently available. 

You'll soon know if bluetooth isn't connecting you to the car when you get in, as you'll be forced to accept the Ts&Cs each time. 

What I was trying to tell him.

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

So, as you observe, if you have AA enabled you need to have a plugged in USB cable to play media from your 'phone. You should be able to use a Bluetooth hands-free phone connection irrespective of whether the USB cable is connected. If that isn't working, you may need to look into the AA implementation or settings on your phone since Toyota state that "the hands-free phone system can be used because the phone will still be connected".

Interesting thanks, I'll try this and see what happens! Seeing the options unchecked automatically isn't the most intuitive!

1 hour ago, P_J said:

But, with the phone disconnected from cable but connected via bluetooth, if you leave the Phone and Media settings enabled, all is good. 
When you connect phone via USB, the Android Auto connects, which turns off the Phone and Media settings (as Phil says, it hands-over those functions to AA). 
But when you then disconnect the phone, the Phone and Media settings get automatically enabled again.

Does media definitely re-enable automatically as well as phone when AA is unplugged? Seems to go against what Phil quoted above from the manual?

I went on the Carlinkit android tbox plus route....

Gives me a full android system like a firestick to watch films, youtube etc.......   auto starts with the car and a new button appears in the left screen to access it.....

I'm having the same issue. Picked up my new Rav4 phev and pretty disappointed with the infotainment system. As you say, it doesn't appear to connect you to bluetooth once you disconnect AA. Never had this problem in my last Rav and don't get me started on the safety beeps and buzzers which can't be disabled permanently. Already regretting the purchase, unfortunately 😕 

38 minutes ago, Lespod said:

I'm having the same issue. Picked up my new Rav4 phev and pretty disappointed with the infotainment system. As you say, it doesn't appear to connect you to Bluetooth once you disconnect AA. Never had this problem in my last Rav and don't get me started on the safety beeps and buzzers which can't be disabled permanently. Already regretting the purchase, unfortunately 😕 

The bluetooth is used for initial connection and subsequent handshake, after that the phone and the car connection is via wifi. I found out recently when I installed the dash cam and the dash cam insisted to disconnect Apple car play then I can connect to the dash cam. After this the Apple car play wouldn't connect wirelessly but it was ok with the wired connection. Took me a long time to find out and I reconnect wireless Apple car play afterwards. I don't use android phone so I am not familiar but if AA is via cable then I don't see a problem. Yes I am not happy with the beeps but I use music or radio to avoid these stupid beeps.

5 hours ago, Lespod said:

I'm having the same issue. Picked up my new Rav4 phev and pretty disappointed with the infotainment system. As you say, it doesn't appear to connect you to Bluetooth once you disconnect AA. Never had this problem in my last Rav and don't get me started on the safety beeps and buzzers which can't be disabled permanently. Already regretting the purchase, unfortunately 😕 

I've tried all sorts of combinations with this now... With both my Pixel 6a and the wife's Pixel 4a...

Assuming AA is enabled on the car settings;

The car will detect the phone as being present for loading the profile. It will not automatically connect via bluetooth for Calls/Phone or Media though. If I plug the phone in, AA fires up fine. If I subsequently unplug the phone then AA stops and it connects for Calls/Phone via bluetooth but not Media. Bizarre then that it won't automatically enable and connect via bluetooth for Calls/Phone initially but it will after unplugging AA...

Assuming AA is disabled on the car settings;

The phone automatically connects for both Calls/Phone and Media fine via the Toyota infotainment system. If I want to use AA I have to enable it in the car settings and then plug it in. I now lose automatic bluetooth connection as above until I manually disable AA in the car settings.

Seems like I need to just keep manually switching between them on the car settings each time I want to use AA which is a bit of a pain.

Agree on the speed bongs.. Especially as they trigger at 1mph over the limit which given the speedo over-reads by a few mph is particularly annoying. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links