Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warning Lights

FungleJunk57

Hi,

Since buying my old 2006 Avensis it's had this grumbling breaking issue at crawling speeds. I've chatted to others on here about it and it seems it's nothing to worry about. I've also taken it to my local garage to check twice and they didn't find anything to be concerned about. 

Out of the blue I've had these warning lights come on. Turning left from crawl there's some noise, at speed nothing, and parked up and turning there nothing. Then last night after a couple of years of grumbling ABS the noise stopped. 

Has anyone experienced this? Obviously I'll take it to my garage to get it checked over but wonder if it's a quirk with the old bugger or is it at the end of it's life!?

IMG_6877.JPG

Best thing is to ask the mechanic to check the speed sensor rings on the wheel hubs. It could have corrosions growth meaning scraping something. Other potential issue is the weak speed signal (occurs at low speed) and the ABS ECU speed sensing circuity may have fault. I used find a lot of ECU failures with capacitors becoming leaky and shunting the speed signal. These capacitors fails due to electrostatic discharge. So at low speak you get issue, but at high speed the speed signal/voltage is greater and may not affect the circuits too much.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Perfection said:

Best thing is to ask the mechanic to check the speed sensor rings on the wheel hubs. It could have corrosions growth meaning scraping something. Other potential issue is the weak speed signal (occurs at low speed) and the ABS ECU speed sensing circuity may have fault. I used find a lot of ECU failures with capacitors becoming leaky and shunting the speed signal. These capacitors fails due to electrostatic discharge. So at low speak you get issue, but at high speed the speed signal/voltage is greater and may not affect the circuits too much.

Thank you. Strange how the noise has stooped but warning lights come on. 

What you can do, try and disconnect the Battery for 15 minutes and reconnect the Battery. This may get rid of the warning light on ABS, assuming your fault is no longer present. 

11 minutes ago, Perfection said:

What you can do, try and disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and reconnect the battery. This may get rid of the warning light on ABS, assuming your fault is no longer present. 

Good tip. Will try that later. I'm just keen to know if it's safe to drive or not. 

If the ABS warning light is on, it means your car's ABS functionality is no longer working. It is disabled. So drive with care and get it fixed asap. May have issues if you involving in an accident and insurance may not pay out as you are knowingly that the ABS is not working and you continued to drive. It's an MOT failure.

7 minutes ago, Perfection said:

If the ABS warning light is on, it means your car's ABS functionality is no longer working. It is disabled. So drive with care and get it fixed asap. May have issues if you involving in an accident and insurance may not pay out as you are knowingly that the ABS is not working and you continued to drive. It's an MOT failure.

Yep. Got it booked in tomorrow morning to sort it all. Don't want to risk it.

Update from Mechanic. At first he thought it was ABS pump but then checked rear break lights, non existent. Apparently some faulty wiring. Sorted that, no warming lights and grumbling ABS (engine gremlin) back. 

• 2 weeks later...

How To Fix Toyota ABS, VSC Warning Light, Replace Sensor.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links