Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Accessory parking sensors

MG95

Hi all,

My 2024 Mk4 Yaris arrived two weeks ago but it came without parking sensors. I ordered font and rear parking sensors expecting them to come factory fitted and fully integrated into the car's systems but apparently in my geography (Portugal) they only install them as an accessory. I was disappointed as I understand the accessory parking sensors are not integrated into the multimedia system as they should be.

My questions for those who have fitted Toyota accessory parking sensors are:
1. Does the physical on/off button look ok? This may sound like a silly question but I have seen pictures of aftermarket parking sensor buttons which look horrible. Would expect it to at least resemble other buttons in the car
2. Does the acoustic beeping work ok (meaning you can tell the front and rear, left and right proximity apart based on the sound)? Asking because since it will not display the distances on the multimedia system I will only be able to tell the distances and where the proximity is from the sound.

Thank you!

It depends on which system your dealer would fit. IIRC in Poland they are installing Steelmate sensors. 

The button is just a regular rocker switch (first row, second from the right, next to it is added immobiliser button for manual pin input):

Oferta samochodu Toyota Yaris 1.5 Hybryda 2022 97 900 zł brutto Toyota  Professional Wrocław - Siechnice | Toyota Pewne Auto

But again, this might be different for you. Also I don't think there would be much trouble to change it to any aftermarket option as this only enables/disables front parking sensors so they don't bother you when driving in a traffic jam. 

As for the second question, I cannot tell as I have built in system in my car 😕 took me a while to find example picture of the switch in the internet (this is a link to the offer from which I took this photo if you'd like to check how the car looks like with them https://pewneauto.pl/oferta/toyota-yaris/186067 ). Personally I don't think you would hear difference because this would require to install multiple buzzers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We did have someone on the forum retrofit the factory Toyota sensors into their car - It wasn't too difficult as most of the wiring was already there, but it was very expensive.

The normal 'dumb' sensors just give a proximity-based beep - I don't think they give any kind of location differentiation; Even the factory integrated ones just beep - No difference whether it's front or back or side; I have to look at the dash for that information. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cyker said:

We did have someone on the forum retrofit the factory Toyota sensors into their car - It wasn't too difficult as most of the wiring was already there, but it was very expensive.

The normal 'dumb' sensors just give a proximity-based beep - I don't think they give any kind of location differentiation; Even the factory integrated ones just beep - No difference whether it's front or back or side; I have to look at the dash for that information. 

Well that sucks. Not even telling front/back apart?

I will not have the dash so I can only rely on the sound.

I have the factory ones and there is no difference in beep; The other day it was beeping at me and I was like, why are you beeping, there's nothing behind me!! And then realized my front corner was right next to a bollard :laugh: 

Given that's the case, I can't imagine an after-market one would, but you never know until you get it! Sometimes they surprise you!

It is possible if it's two different systems - Usually the rear ones are wired into the reversing lights for power, but the front ones can't for obvious reasons so it might have its own separate different beeper...

Is there one on like a demo vehicle or something you can try?

Toyota Parking Sensors System - TPA 800

TPA 800 offers all the convenience and ease of use of the TAP 400, but with the addition of sensors in the front bumper. All sensors are activated when reverse gear is engaged, giving the vehicle all-round protection as it reverses into a space.

The driver is able to remain aware of potential obstacles both in front and behind the vehicle, such as when parking between two other vehicles. The front sensors are also activated when advancing slowly in traffic or when driving into a parking space. Different audio tones help drivers to differentiate between signals from the front and rear bumpers.

It says this in the description... so maybe it will work.

Do you find the front sensors useful? Do they engage when in start stop traffic (would prefer them not to, at least during DRCC operation)?

There are some PDF's available that refer to TPA 800. Not specifically in the Yaris but the system should be identical.

Installation manual https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/{E7E67433-C9D9-A209-BCDE-F17A6AFDC9D9}/TPA800 LHD PZ464-00425-00 AIM 000 307-1.pdf which indicates that there are two buzzers for front and rear sensors. 

And troubleshooting guide https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/{5E97020E-B23F-C10C-C792-E01756DEB23F}/TPA800 trouble shooting guide ATM000 008-0.pdf 

Maybe they will help you with the answers 🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links