Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris 2011 1.33 VVTI - 0w20?

Haych03s

Hi guys, so i have a 2011 yaris 1.33 vvti and the auto spares shop gave me 5w30 oil last year for my service and had to top up more oil into the car also during the year.

Im now doing a service again and read in the manual that the recommended oil is 0w20 and was wondering if i were to use 0w20, would it cause any problems to the car. I have phoned toyota and they said to use 0w20 and that i can use 5w30 at my own risk.

My car is currently at 124k miles on the clock and would like some help if i should stick with 5w30 or change to 0w20 and is it better to use fully synthetic or semi?

Also, i don't know if this correlates with the oil but i dont get as much miles from a full tank, roughly 240miles and the first bar of fuel goes after 50-60miles, whereas another family member has the same yaris and similar mileage as me, but gets 330miles from a full tank and the first bar goes after 100 miles.

The car was designed to use 0w20 - The engine should feel looser/freer and get better fuel economy.

However, that engine is known for burning oil due to having low friction piston rings that aren't up to the job, so it might be best to stick with 5w30.

You can try it - Won't harm the engine, but keep checking the oil levels more regularly just in case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is there not a line in the service manual that states if you doing a lot of fast driving (motorway) then you maybe advantageous to use 0w30 / 5w30 sothats all I used for for 6 years on a euro 5 1.33 engine.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Is there not a line in the service manual that states if you doing a lot of fast driving (motorway) then you maybe advantageous to use 0w30 / 5w30 

I had two Auris 1.33s (2009 and 2012) and neither had such a statement.

The only reference to 5W-30 was that '5W-30 may be used but should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next service', and this was replicated for our 2016 Aygo.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Haych03s said:

Hi guys, so i have a 2011 yaris 1.33 vvti and the auto spares shop gave me 5w30 oil last year for my service and had to top up more oil into the car also during the year.

Im now doing a service again and read in the manual that the recommended oil is 0w20 and was wondering if i were to use 0w20, would it cause any problems to the car. I have phoned toyota and they said to use 0w20 and that i can use 5w30 at my own risk.

My car is currently at 124k miles on the clock and would like some help if i should stick with 5w30 or change to 0w20 and is it better to use fully synthetic or semi?

Also, i don't know if this correlates with the oil but i don't get as much miles from a full tank, roughly 240miles and the first bar of fuel goes after 50-60miles, whereas another family member has the same yaris and similar mileage as me, but gets 330miles from a full tank and the first bar goes after 100 miles.

That is what it says on the manual for me, it says 5w30 is fine if 0w20 is not available but next oil change you should go back to 0w20.

• Like 3

Hi Hamza.  Try Castrol or any good oil website most have a oil finder section that works off your number plate.

If you using oil between services I cannot see how you use less oil by moving to a thinner oil.

• Like 2

I use Opie Oils for my MX5's, here is their 0/20 oil selections

Opie Oil 0w20 selection

You can also search from your reg number or specific car make/model from the home page

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Try Castrol or any good oil website most have a oil finder section that works off your number plate.

All the "finders" I have checked to date, by entering the reg., have recommended 5W 30 when 0W 20 is the Toyota recommendation.

Including Opie Oils. However, whether they have been advised of the previous errors, entering my reg. there now lists all 0W 20 oils.

Castrol are still recommending Magnatec 5W 30. Yes, that may be used, but as mentioned further up, use 0W 20 at the next change.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Hi Hamza.  Try Castrol or any good oil website most have a oil finder section that works off your number plate.

If you using oil between services I cannot see how you use less oil by moving to a thinner oil.

i get what you mean but even on the websites they are only giving me 0w20 option, so i might get 0w20 and see how it runs in my car

A lot of them will suggest what they have or what they think, but the horse's mouth so to speak is Toyota and they trump whatever anyone else says (If you're trying to keep the warranty intact anyway!)

When I had my Mk2, a lot of them showed 5w30 because 0w20 was expensive and rare - Even Opil Oils only sold it in 1L bottles and it was heinously expensive - The only place I could get it in 5L bottles was Toyota and it was half the cost!!

It's only in the past few years 0w20 has become commonly available and a lot cheaper.

I find dealers in general are the cheapest place to get the cutting-edge super thin oils (Nobody even had the 0w8 my Mk4 wants last time I looked :laugh: )

5 minutes ago, Haych03s said:

i get what you mean but even on the websites they are only giving me 0w20 option, so i might get 0w20 and see how it runs in my car

Yeah go for it, be interesting to see if you feel any difference!

Just check the oil levels more regularly in case it goes down faster; If it does you may be better off sticking to 5w30...

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 6:29 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

I had two Auris 1.33s (2009 and 2012) and neither had such a statement.

The only reference to 5W-30 was that '5W-30 may be used but should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next service', and this was replicated for our 2016 Aygo.

Just come across this statment for engine M15A-FXE (MK4 Yaris) A oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds or under extreame load conditions.

Oil range from prefered 0w8, to 0w16,0w20 & 5w30 

Note you still have to stay within the specific oils tempeature range.

So wording has changed slightly.

From Yaris Hybrid user guide vehicle specifcations page 180

No mention of invaladating warranty for using any of them.

• Like 1

But the subject of the topic is a 3rd generation 1.33 petrol, not a hybrid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

But the subject of the topic is a 3rd generation 1.33 petrol, not a hybrid.

But that is true for any engine. If it's regularly run at high power, meaning hotter, then a more viscous oil (at any given temperature) will be appropriate.

It's engineering - there isn't an absolute right or wrong, you choose the best compromise. (Except for warranty or insurance claims, which aren't really engineering.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeSh said:

But that is true for any engine.

Maybe, but the query is whether such a sentence was in the owners manual of the 2011 Yaris.

• Like 2

This is one of the oils I use to use for NLP13 Hatchback 2010 -2019  1.33 VVT-i

Engine Type 1NR-FE

03/10/2019  Engine Oil Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W30 Fully Synthetic

The other engine oil,

Castrol Edge 0W30 with Titanium FSE fully synthetic 4 Litre.

The handbook was passed on to its new owner but some data I still have on my computer.

• 2 weeks later...

i am getting 5w30 Castrol magnatec for my service tomorrow

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haych03s said:

i am getting 5w30 castrol magnatec for my service tomorrow

They had some on Antiques Roadshow last Sunday.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links