Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2017 hybrid with 84.000 on clock

dads Taxi x3

Hi my son has found a 2017 hybrid yaris for sale and its got 84.000 on the clock  I have no idea what to look for in an hybrid.  So I'm guessing you guys might know . 

What do I ask exhaml 

How are the batterys 

Are they good 

Have they been checked 

How's the engine 

Is it a plug in type or just turn electric on 

Then normal questions 

Has the can been damaged if yes what damage and where was it fixed garage or home  I know them sort questions but not hybrid ones 

Thanks for your help .  

Hi, 

the hybrid Toyota aren’t much different from non hybrid ones. They are very similar, simple and easy to work on cars. 
The 87000 miles aren’t too high for a 7 years old car , but again each used car is strictly individual case, it can be a good buy or total disaster. 
You need to run all usual second hand car checks and also if the car has full service, when was last serviced and where, has it done a hybrid Battery health check which gives you another year warranty on the hybrid Battery
Don’t worry to buy used hybrid up to 12 years old , anything older hybrid Battery will be on its end, something to be taken into account. 
Good luck 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It won't be a plug-in Yaris hybrid as they don't exist. Yaris Hybrid is a self-charging hybrid. It is just a more efficient and reliable petrol car, don't think of it as an EV.

If Yaris 1.5L engine is similar to Auris/Prius, service history is important. Try to make sure it has been serviced on time every 12 months / 10k miles. Doesn't have to have been at Toyota, or at a garage at all (actually I'd probably prefer a DIY-serviced car as it's more likely to have been done well!)

They are timing chain driven I believe, so no belt to worry about.

You'll get another 80k+ out of the car but expect some repairs e.g. suspension/shocks type things. Maybe water pump.

Look out for rust, them Toyotas will rust up on ya!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi .  They rust I didn't know that  I thought all jap cars was very good at keeping rust at bay . Is there any particular spot rust likes on yaris's 

I had a nissan Serena  and it was the back /boot door handle  .asnit was made outside nissan  they rusted like hell

I had 3 year-old car an I put 2 new handles on that car b4 it got 10 years old 

.thanks for you help

PS  I just had a message off the private seller turns out its a company and they only deliver the car we can't see it or pick it up but we do have 5 days with the car to see if we like it .

What do you guys think run 4 hills .keep the 5k  for one we can see . 

The newer ones are better for rust - The Mk1s were pretty bad for it as they aged and many of them have literally rusted to death, esp. the front and rear sub-frames.

The Mk2 and Mk3 are better for it, and tend to get rusty springs and exhausts but less serious structural rust.

I'm always a bit sus about these sort of sight-unseen sales, and it sounds like they are a dealer pretending to be a private seller to try and get out of the normal dealer responsibilities and consumer protections. I'd be inclined to look elsewhere...

• Like 4

Can't see the car, but can have it for 5 days? Don't understand. 

• Like 4

I'm sure they have some photo's of the car, ask to have under the bonnet photo'd and look for rusty fasteners, you'd be surprised how many cars have been used as a submarine, plus I always look at the reg to see where it was registered and keep away from those that were registered near the coast and Scotland.

• Like 2

On the up side, the Hybrid batteries if tested each year get a warranty up to 15yrs but that doesn't mean after 15yrs they're toast just not as efficient.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

PS  I just had a message off the private seller turns out its a company and they only deliver the car we can't see it or pick it up but we do have 5 days with the car to see if we like it .

Can't pick it up (so no idea where they are) and 5 days for them to disappear ...

I'd run. (But to be fair, these days I won't even consider a private sale - too many scammers in the game and I can afford to pay a bit more for peace of mind. Your risk aversion may vary.)

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Worth using things like CarVertical and the gov.uk MOT History checker on it if you have the reg too...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

Worth using things like CarVertical and the gov.uk MOT History checker on it if you have the reg too...

But if they give you a reg for a car they don't actually have ...

It's just too easy to use photos and info scraped from the internet to trust anything except your MK1 eyeball in the flesh and daylight ... and even then look carefully. Anyone making it difficult to see the car beforehand has got to be suspicious.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

Sounds like a scam. AVOID!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

But if they give you a reg for a car they don't actually have ...

It's just too easy to use photos and info scraped from the internet to trust anything except your MK1 eyeball in the flesh and daylight ... and even then look carefully. Anyone making it difficult to see the car beforehand has got to be suspicious.

To be fair even Toyota dealers do this sometimes :unsure:

My first Mk1 was at another dealer and the dealer I bought it from were basically if you want it you need to commit as we won't ship it all the way down here otherwise, and being a bit naive as to what Used Approved meant I agreed (Hint: It's means smeg-all).

I basically bought it sight-unseen, and while the car was basically okay, in hindsight I probably overpaid for the condition it was in; The rims had severe Mk1 alloy wheel peel and the boot had a small garden centre's worth of sand and shrubbery in it which I only discovered later when I looked in the spare wheel well.

Now as a more skeptical and suspicious person I would absolutely not buy a 2nd hand car unless I can see it in the flesh and test drive it from cold.

The funny thing is a lot of these mail order car companies like Cinch and Cazoo work in this exact way - You're effectively buying the car sight-unseen and have to rely on them honouring their own agreement if the car turns out to be duff in some way. I'm surprised they've been so successful as I'd never buy a car in that fashion if I could help it, esp. as I'm under the impression a lot of their cars are from auctions...

• Like 5

No way would I buy any used car this way without seeing it first and giving  it a thorough look over and a test drive 🤷‍♂️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi all yes it's been odd  I did ask some questions and I didn't get a good vibe from them they said the car is I mint condition no marks scratches   (almost 10 years old )  same pics they sent just diffrent order  had to make a full payment 1st then I get the car in 5 days   .can't see it won't give me an address to collect it or even see it . I passed on it and now the add had gone . Don't know if it's sold or they done a runner as all replys have ended . Thank you for all your help  you all confirmed what I was worried about   too good to be true .  Might been fool and his money  thanks again 

• Like 4

On 4/15/2024 at 8:44 PM, Mojo1010 said:

Can't see the car, but can have it for 5 days? Don't understand. 

I think it means you pay for the car before seeing it, and then have 5 days to regret the purchase, and wave bye bye to your money, when you can then look at the car properly , and see just how bad it is.

Slightly different from these car supermarkets who want £100 to move the car from another branch for you to have a look.

But no worries, the deposit is fully refundable 😭 if you then don't want it.

So yeah, any sign of sleight of hand or less than transparency go elsewhere.

See a car advertised, get a lift to go look at it, without the "you must have an appointment" nonsense.

Due diligence, and trust no one's word for anything.

• Like 2

Watch out; this might be a scam, especially if you found this on Facebook Market.

The Yaris is not a supercar (maybe it is), but this video was fascinating. 

Anyway, it applies to all cars, and it is worth watching!

Also, if you ever pay or make a deposit on a car, use Paypal and choose the first option, "pay for goods and services", including a note saying deposit for XYZ car.

If the seller is genuine, they will accept it, and you will be covered. That way, you can claim the money back if you get scammed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

Hi all yes it's been odd  I did ask some questions and I didn't get a good vibe from them they said the car is I mint condition no marks scratches   (almost 10 years old )  same pics they sent just diffrent order  had to make a full payment 1st then I get the car in 5 days   .can't see it won't give me an address to collect it or even see it . I passed on it and now the add had gone . Don't know if it's sold or they done a runner as all replys have ended . Thank you for all your help  you all confirmed what I was worried about   too good to be true .  Might been fool and his money  thanks again 

It's a scam, full payment first hahaha

On another note, I advertised an item for sale on marketplace, someone with a profile from Leeds wanted to buy it. Had wife and kid in the photos etc. The person said he cannot meet due to work so will arrange to pick it up with a parcel company and pay cash. Told him to f*#k off. Only special carriers deliver cash and it cost a lot for the service. The item for sale was £80. 

A lot of scams all over the place. In hindsight, what I could do next time is give a random address so they waste their money on the parcel pick up service, but that can cause an inconvenience to the addressee. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links