Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Late MK1 or Early MK2??

davidif

I have been tasked by my partner to advise on and eventually oversea the purchase of a car for her daughter who has her test in the next few weeks.

She (my partner) is keen for her daughter to have an Aygo and the daughter isn't especially bothered. The daughter just wants a car for when she is able to drive.

My partners budget puts us firmly in late plate MK1's and early higher mileage Mk2's. 

Having had both myself many years ago I think that a higher mileage Mk2 is the way to go. Any thoughts?

For context some of the adds I've been looking at have lightly used earlier cars with 30k/40k miles whereas the MK2's in our budget are 80k+ miles

manual or auto?

• Like 4

it depends on how much milage you intends to put on the car.  For myself, as I'm a delivery driver (driving 20K annually), I would go for the low mileage to get more life out of the engine.  But if I was doing normal driving (3 - 6K annually), the 80K should be fine.

As for comfort goes, definitely MK2 on the steering wheel control and much better audio system.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, flash22 said:

manual or auto?

Manual

Funnily enough we were in same boat few years ago, we went for a Mk2, ok Mk2s were more money but they improved/fixed many of the problems/niggles the Mk1 had with the Mk2 such as water leaks. Also the interior is better as such seats, leccy window switches, sound deadening, door seals, steering wheel controls etc. etc. Also, you can feel improvement in ride quality as well. As for mileage, knowing these little engines even in Mk1 can do 100k-150k+, wouldn't bother me too much, these being a cheaply made basic car the car's general wear n tear would bother me more and tell me more about car's life as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would say a mk2 better comfort responds well I think a ideal first car

• Like 3

I'd say mk2 Aygo, since its 10 years now that the 1st mk2 was sold, you'll get some decent ones for sale.

• Like 4

mk2 pay the extra and get the more up-to-date safety features like side and curtain airbags - It is a lot easier to upgrade things like the radio, all but the basic cars have reverse cameras too, plenty of aygo's about so shop around

4 hours ago, tsikis007 said:

I suggest you find a car whose engine does not burn oil.

not an issue on later cars 06-07 cars did have issues, 1kr's don't burn oil unless severely neglected, on the other hand rattling timing chains are common, if you don't do regular oil changes with quality oil

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'd vote for Mk2 just because it's less leaky :laugh: 

They're also styled to appeal more to the young'uns apparently (Although by now those targeted young'uns will be in their late thirties :laugh: )

A Yaris might be worth looking at too - Mk1s will be very cheap now but rust is an issue; The Mk2s can also be had fairly cheap (Just get a 1.0 or 1.3 (Or better yet 1.4D4D if it's to be used in a non-ULEZy country) and avoid the 1.33 and it'll be fine!) and they are a lot more practical if she's going to drive her friends around. They also have much nicer to use clutches.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have had a 2006 Mk1 and a 2017 Mk 2 Aygo. The Mk 2 is a nicer car in my opinion. When buying either, check that a reversing camera has been fitted.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, tsikis007 said:

Another factor for the 1KR-FE (and not only) to become a deep fryer is 0W-20 oil and a heavy right foot.

I don't get it...

• Like 2

We are talking Yaris here not a Ferrari, what nonsense about high rev high speed in a Yaris, standard 0W -20 will be just fine 

• Like 7

Supra 0W-20 is a completely different oil from standard 0W-20 and specific to the Supra  

• Like 1

none, a few work at dealerships the forum has no affiliation with Toyota, you will find more knowledge of the older cars on the forums than any dealer, the mk1 does not run 0w20 until 09-10 (maybe later) anything above 60k you need to switch to 5w30, 0w20 in a earlier/higher mileage car will just burn oil and may even slip the bores

remember this is a UK-based forum, oil spec vary depending on the county and environmental conditions

• Like 3

Talk about high rev... I got my Driving licence since 2004 and I have rarely reaches 4000 RPM, never mind 5000 RPM or beyond.

I use my car to reach places to places, not for lap time or expressing personal ego.

• Like 1

It's not just that, sometimes you will need to, e.g. Trying to go up a hill with a fully loaded car! Something I always try and tell people is you don't have to be scared of the top-end of the rev range - If it wasn't safe the manufacturers wouldn't let you rev it that high.

And in particular these are japanese engines which, traditionally, have always had a higher rev ceiling to get the full power of the engine, so they're well versed in designing and engine to take it.

As long as you don't do it all the time or when the engine is cold it's perfectly fine. (Also it makes a nice sound on 3 cylinders :biggrin: :laugh: )

• Like 2

the 1kr does like to rev the power does not come in till higher up the rev range

• Like 1

I had to buy a car for my daughters lessons/ driving as well. We started with a Fiat 500, nope, she couldn't get on with that. So, then I looked at the Aygo, same choices as yourself but went for the mk 2 as it seemed far more modern and the interiors, infotainment etc felt much better than the mk 1.

Then, after quite a few lessons and practise, she wasn't getting on very well, we found out that she was a bit dispraxic. Immediately changed her to an automatic and she got on really well. So, 2nd car (Aygo) was sold, making a little bit of cash in the process. What did we get, another Aygo, another mk 2 auto this time obviously. This did cost a fair bit more than the manual, the price difference is eye opening indeed.

She passed her test with just 2 minors and hasn't looked back since. She adores her Aygo, constantly telling me how she loves it and driving it. So, if she's happy, I'm happy. And tbh, it's a really great little car to drive and for me, to work on as well.

• Like 5

That's exactly the same as me, I didn't get on with driving manual due to a learning disability, so I swapped to automatic and never looked back. I tend to benefit with a higher value estimate when the dealer buys it back as I swap for another car, so even though the price seems to be higher at purchase time, it does pay you back eventually.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

That's exactly the same as me, I didn't get on with driving manual due to a learning disability, so I swapped to automatic and never looked back. I tend to benefit with a higher value estimate when the dealer buys it back as I swap for another car, so even though the price seems to be higher at purchase time, it does pay you back eventually.

Tbh, it makes no real world difference these days. I actually suggested to her that she just learn auto, before we realised she had the issues. I haven't owned a manual car for many years now. It would take something really special to get me back into a manual car now. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely Mk2, it’s just more modern and decent with the phone connectivity, steering wheel controls and reversing camera

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links