Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving licence renewal reminder

Primus1

When do you get your licence renewal reminder?, mine runs out on the 7th may, and my wife’s on the 21st, neither of us have received a reminder from dvla…

With photocard licences it is usually 90 days beforehand.

• Like 1

Nope, not had anything…

Hi Alan, both myself and my wife didn't get a reminder so we applied just before they run out. I don't know why some receive a reminder and some don't.:smile:

you can apply to renew 90days in advance, both my wife and i did this and then got the reminder after receiving the new licence. 

• Like 1

Going to have to go to the post office on Saturday and renew it there…

I got a reminder but it was a good few weeks before expiry IIRC.

1 hour ago, Mjolinor said:

The number after your driving license number on your license is the number of licenses you have had. Thirteen in my case.

In my case 26 - although I've only had 3 (provisional, full licence, and full licence following change of address). 

It is actually a random security number, but does increase every time a licence is renewed.

• Like 1

Medical renewals are notified at 90 days prior but ordinary renewals are much less - all notifications are advisory and some may not receive one at all - the DVLA are not 109% efficient.

Best sticking the renewal date in your calendar and remember that photo licences need to be renewed every 10 years with an updated photo regardless of the overall expiry date.

Do it online if you can:

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, CassUK said:

remember that photo licences need to be renewed every 10 years with an updated photo regardless of the overall expiry date.

Until the age of 70, then it is renewed every 3 years.

• Like 4

Gonna have to do it at the po, you need a passport to do it online and we don’t have one…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In my case 26 - although I've only had 3 (provisional, full licence, and full licence following change of address). 

It is actually a random security number, but does increase every time a licence is renewed.

Ah, that is a coincidence then because I have had 13 and my friend has had 11 so I assumed that is what it was. Took me goddam ages to work out how many licenses I had had since 1971. 🙂

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Gonna have to do it at the po, you need a passport to do it online and we don’t have one…

Are you sure? I swear you could, just that it was a lot more painful if you didn't have the passport.

From what I remember, having a passport skips over a lot of the form, but if you don't have one you can do it but have to fill in a lot more stuff, e.g. photos of evidence of who you are and (the hardest one) a photo of your face that complies with all the requirements (After trying, like, 27 times to get a photo accepted for the online passport form, I didn't want to go through that again for the license!! Now I know why people use machines or pay profession photographers to do it!!)

Well, the mrs went into the post office today and renewed her licence in about ten minutes, they did it all for her, even taking her photo, gave her a receipt which acts as a temporary licence, they even cut her old licence up, so I should be able to do it at the weekend…

• Like 1

Whilst your passport is valid, the DVLA use this for your driving licence replacement.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mjolinor said:

I learned something this week. The number after your driving license number on your license is the number of licenses you have had. Thirteen in my case.

Are you sure about this?  The number on my licence is 52.  Strangely, that is the number of years I have been driving.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Trewithy said:

Absolutely not sure about it at all. In fact it seems it is not. 🙂

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Well, the mrs went into the post office today and renewed her licence in about ten minutes, they did it all for her, even taking her photo, gave her a receipt which acts as a temporary licence, they even cut her old licence up, so I should be able to do it at the weekend…

Oooh maybe I should do that next time just to avoid the ballache of the photo! :laugh: 

Well, that's assuming I can find a post office - They've closed down so many I'm not even sure where the main ones that do things like that are now! :confused1:

• Haha 1

Apparently the photo they took of my wife looks as though it belongs on a wanted poster….goodness knows what mine will look like, 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Apparently the photo they took of my wife looks as though it belongs on a wanted poster….goodness knows what mine will look like, 

Just don’t frighten the grand kids with it!! LOL

• Haha 1

Just make sure it has a pale background

World of faces frankenstein - World of faces

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Whilst your passport is valid, the DVLA use this for your driving licence replacement.

Which covers the 10 years for your photo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Just make sure it has a pale background

World of faces frankenstein - World of faces

How did you get a picture of my mother in law..?

• Haha 3

Went to the post office in town and got my licence renewed, or at least sent the payment and had my photo taken, which has resulted in me ordering some men’s anti wrinkle/aging/puffy eye cream, I used to look like my dad in some photos, now it’s my grandad, or worse still, someone else’s grandad….

• Haha 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links