Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A note of caution re insurance when fitting wind deflectors

Dick_Dastardly

Just wanted to let you know that I contacted my insurer (Tesco) to ask if fitting wind deflectors was classed as a modification that needed declaring.

After some deliberation they said that they are modifications and the underwriters would need to be informed, but probably wouldn't charge extra.

I know it's nonsensical and makes no difference to the car but be aware that your insurer could look to void your policy if you haven't declared them, which would be a lifetime's worth of pain going forward.

It's worth just checking and getting them to note it on the policy

Don't shoot the messenger 😲

• Like 5

thanks for the heads up.. have them on mine so will declare it when the renewal is due soon, will get the quote first before declaring it

• Like 3

Thats a good shout. Infact declare anything really. I mentioned my steering lock and it was the same thing, noted but no additional charge (also with Tesco).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ToyotaFanDriver said:

Thats a good shout. Infact declare anything really. I mentioned my steering lock and it was the same thing, noted but no additional charge (also with Tesco).

should be discounting you for that lock really 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Steve said:

should be discounting you for that lock really 😄 

I totally agree! I was quite suprised when the chap said let me see if its a modification and it will affect the price.

Fortunately it didnt and its declared. I dont want to give the insurer any excuse not to pay out should the worst thing ever happen!

• Like 4

I had to cause to look at some case notes re appeals to the Financial Conduct Authority.

Sone of the things that resulted in insurance being cancelled were just nuts e.g. a bumper sticker 😲

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think the point about declaring modifications is not entirely about changes in performance - wide wheels,  sound faster exhaust, blacked out windows - but about claims cost. 

If you were to install a space saver, convert to JBL, fit mudflaps etc, these would not be covered in the event of a claim. 

Suppose the car was broken in to and your installed item was stolen, was the break in due to your modification?  Your after market item would not be covered and any associated damage excluded too.

• Like 3

It's that KISS acronym again ... Keep It Standard Stupid 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

Sone of the things that resulted in insurance being cancelled were just nuts e.g. a bumper sticker 😲

as the print was too small and he had to get too close to read it 

Just joking, but I am sure we have all seen graffiti on the back of a car that is distracting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I think the point about declaring modifications is not entirely about changes in performance - wide wheels,  sound faster exhaust, blacked out windows - but about claims cost. 

If you were to install a space saver, convert to JBL, fit mudflaps etc, these would not be covered in the event of a claim. 

Suppose the car was broken in to and your installed item was stolen, was the break in due to your modification?  Your after market item would not be covered and any associated damage excluded too.

Even worse, your policy could be invalid and any claim for loss totally rejected 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

as the print was too small and he had to get too close to read it 

Just joking, but I am sure we have all seen graffiti on the back of a car that is distracting. 

I think the insurance company's argument is that if it was a sticker relating to performance mods then that would indicate a certain driving style. If it was a sticker with some sort of statement/opinion then they could make you a target for vandalism

• Like 3

As a footnote - my insurance company said that adding dashcams is counted as a modification 😲

Madness I know but since when have insurance companies been your friend

They act as complete judge and jury 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

As a footnote - my insurance company said that adding dashcams is counted as a modification 😲

Madness I know but since when have insurance companies been your friend

They act as complete judge and jury 

If it is fitted before delivery and invoiced by the dealer the insured cost is declared. 

However,  when getting insurance they usually ask about alarms and cameras.  The only issue is if you add these after taking out the policy and before the renewal

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

If it is fitted before delivery and invoiced by the dealer the insured cost is declared. 

However,  when getting insurance they usually ask about alarms and cameras.  The only issue is if you add these after taking out the policy and before the renewal

Yes that was my case. I should have mentioned it when taking out the policy but they weren't fitted then.

I'm all sorted now and they're documented at no extra cost.

Decided not to bother with wind deflectors as couldn't be bothered declaring them as mods every year 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

Madness I know

Fitting a dash cam may suggest that you are expecting (more than the average Joe) to have an accident and need evidence.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

Fitting a dash cam may suggest that you are expecting (more than the average Joe) to have an accident and need evidence.

One way of putting it, though absence of a Dashcam could have a similar connotation.  

Mine could confirm I was speeding or confirm I was not.

I had one Chinese Dashcam that was much cheaper than Nextbase and superior on one respect.   Its FOV was 170 degrees and included a full view of the steering wheel and could show where my hands were.  No sureptious use of a phone of fiddling with the media system. 

• Like 3

One insurance company (LV) did give a discount when I informed them of a Dashcam installation.

Another, when phoning for a quote, and were told a Dashcam was fitted, advised the underwriter will not cover for a user installed Dashcam. I was asked, make and model, how much it was, was it removable, did I have a receipt and other questions. When I answered "Me" to who installed it that ended the conversation. I went elsewhere.

Some of the comparison sites now ask if a dashcam is fitted.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Slartybartfast said:

One insurance company (LV) did give a discount when I informed them of a dashcam installation.

Another, when phoning for a quote, and were told a dashcam was fitted, advised the underwriter will not cover for a user installed dashcam. I was asked, make and model, how much it was, was it removable, did I have a receipt and other questions. When I answered "Me" to who installed it that ended the conversation. I went elsewhere.

Some of the comparison sites now ask if a dashcam is fitted.

The inconsistency between insurers is quite astounding

• Like 3

It's also something to consider as part of any write-off settlement figure.  If you had a towbar, for instance, you would have to add the cost of fitting a new towbar to any replacement car.  That's how I viewed declaring that my other car had a towbar.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

The inconsistency between insurers is quite astounding

This is the biggest problem - There is absolutely no consistency between different insurers, sometimes even ones that are clearly part of the same group to the point even their websites are identical but with different logos and colour schemes.

Even with my steel rims, some just noted them down, others tried to class them as third-party alloy wheels which bumped up the premium and when I objected on the grounds that was inaccurate (And thus against their own terms and conditions) I'd end up climbing the chain until someone with enough authority either saw sense or insisted.

Some even say you have to declare any factory-fitted options as they class them as modifications, even though that should be already taken into account from the registration. (I argued that too, since on their system mine literally came up as Excel with Tech Pack!)

You can play games with some of them like that though - For some, declaring e.g. parking sensors and other standard safety equipment can actually make the premium go down even though it should already be taken into account :laugh: 

It's a PITA because you have to waste vast amounts of time tailoring your car spec to specific insurers' to get an optimal quote.

One annoying thing is they often won't let you declare something uninsured - When I was thinking about PPF'ing mine, I was shocked how much that jacks up the premium, and when I queried it, it was purely down to the cost of them re-applying the PPF, but when I offered to have that excluded from the insurance, most said they couldn't or wouldn't do that, so in the end I didn't bother...

It's a bit like when I had my Mk1 with its disgusting scabby rims - I could have replaced them with same-size cheapo Wolfrace eBay specials but that would have added £70+ to my insurance every year, so I ended up spending twice as much to have them refurbished and powdercoated!

You really have to check what they count as a modification, and they don't make it easy.

Most of the good insurers class anything that "Increases the value or performance" as a modification and don't care about things like dashcams and wind deflectors (or my steel rims :laugh: ) but even with those you should still get them to note down such things (This will confuse the agent so be prepared to patiently explain to them they can note things down that aren't in their modifications list :laugh: . There is a 50/50 chance they will escalate it to a supervisor as their minds can't handle it :laugh: )

However some particularly moronic companies, like MoreThan (Now gone! :yahoo: ), have wording that basically means *any* modification needs to be declared, without any limiters, so potentially if you change the car mats or put in a seat cushion without telling them the wording of their T&Cs implies they could void your insurance :rolleyes1:

It's all just very unreasonable - You practically have to be a lawyer to be able to dig through these things to understand them... 

• Like 3

I have this on the back of my car here in Wales. Our former dictator would probably class it as dissent or even treason. Should I declare it?

431499221_3738303326445164_2202743371906321555_n.thumb.jpg.dea644c97fbaa8aea06acf36e11e836a.jpg

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Slartybartfast said:

When I answered "Me" to who installed it that ended the conversation.

I'd guess some insurers view DIY installation as a fire risk. And TBH many probably are.

Insurers have to deal with the 90%* of the population who are incompetents that think the cost of their premiums over time is some sort of savings scheme that they are entitled to get back.

* Probably 80% actually. I think 10% don't even have insurance.

• Like 5

Do you think I should declare the v8 and nitrous oxide kit fitted to mine..??

• Haha 3

@Cyker, if all insurers had the identical criteria then logically all premiums would be near identical. 

Mind you, amongst certain groups,  ie those that want to insure your Ford A180 Aygo,  they are within a few pence.  OTOH those seeking high premiums from JLR Lamborgine supercars will quote silly numbers.

Don't know PPF but when I went for TPF&T (when the value of my Merc was near the excess amount) Comp was cheaper.   I can see the logic though.

You know I completely forgot about the dashcams - was exactly the same as the steering lock process and questions.

I wonder if dashcams scare the insurers because it prevents 50/50 blame in clear cut accidents so if they have a numpty driver as a client they'll be bang to rights.

I do wish there was alot more rules and regulation on insurance, both for car and home. You HAVE to have it and so they should be held more to account on their actions and pricings.

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links