Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Next time I’ll buy a Yaris instead!

Habu

Caution!!! Ramble alert!…

Some of you may remember my wife bought a 2023 Mazda 2 Hybrid (her previous 2 cars were Mazdas) as she wanted to retain a HUD and the seat material was nicer in the Mazda to the equivalent Yaris. Well, she’s just had it serviced by her Mazda dealer - possibly one of first one’s they’ve serviced.  Firstly, the dealer put in 10W30 oil.  I queried this as it should be 0W8 as stipulated by both the owners manual and Toyota Technical (I rang them to question it).  Mazda advised this is what they put in all their other models but I said not in a Toyota hybrid.  Mazda stuck to their guns and said it would be fine.  I did demand an email from their technical team at HQ to advise it was okay to use 10W30.  I received this email.  Secondly, the Mazda 2 Hybrid tyre pressures, and presumably the identical Yaris, are 29/32 psi (r/f) when cold.  I check these monthly with a high quality Draper pressure gauge and the car faithfully advises the same pressures. During the service the technician put 38 psi in the rears and 41 in the front!  I spoke (complained) to the service manager that the tyre pressures were already correct.  Seemingly, the technician wasn’t aware (really!!!) that the cold tyre pressures are stamped on the plate affixed to the car’s offside B-pillar and, instead, had looked them up on the Mazda service guides.  I said my 2.2 tonne SUV has 35 psi across all 4 tyres so how can a Yaris clone need 41 psi?  The service manager couldn’t answer that one.  I expect the technician would have, as a minimum, a proper rollicking.

So, moral of this ramble is next time we’ll buy a proper Yaris.

• Sad 2

Peter, did you drive it before you checked the pressures?  I bet it felt like driving on ice.

My Yaris was set at 2.5 bar when I first received it. Think that's 36 PSI

Not sure if that had been done at the factory or as part of the PDI by the dealer. 🤔

Assume that nobody knows what they're doing and you won't go far wrong, regardless of brand 🙂

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

Not sure if that had been done at the factory or as part of the PDI by the dealer. 🤔

Assume that nobody knows what they're doing and you won't go far wrong, regardless of brand 🙂

Cars usually arrive with transportation tyre pressures (often 40-50 odd psi.  Dealer should drop them during the PDI stage but they often don’t.  

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Peter, did you drive it before you checked the pressures?  I bet it felt like driving on ice.

I usually have the tyre pressures showing on the driver display.  Noticed it about 1/2 a mile after pulling away from the dealer.  It was a bit like driving on a temporary skinny spare tyre. 😁

• Haha 2

Probably the dealer service was unaware that Mazda2 and Mazda2 Hybrid just share the "2" in the name.

In any case, even if the've treated as a Mazda2,  I find strange that Skyactive engine uses a so thick oil like 10W30 and so high pressures on the tyres.  I expect a 0w20 or 5W30.

About the tyre pressure it usually happens also with Toyota services.   Everytime I've serviced my Yaris ( I've tested two different dealers ) I've got very highly inflated tyres ( 2.7 / 2.8 bar ) and I'd to deflate to more correct values ( i've set 2.3 bar in front and 2.1 on rear )

• Like 2

It's not the cars fault...it's the service department which as you said probably don't service many.

• Like 3

Take it to a Toyota dealer next time 😉

They put in the oil that they buy in bulk. It does no harm, but you are certainly right to point out the facts in the manual and ask for the recommended oil. I've had exactly the same problem with Toyota garages and other makes. 

Same thing with tyre pressures. Once you're up to about 2 bar it's generally good but you'd err on too high pressure rather than too low. Especially since many customers would never check the pressures. More pressure gives a bit better economy and response. A bit less, gives you better grip (until it really doesn't). But you are probably not chasing lap times on a track so high pressure is fine. 

• Like 3

Wanted to go to my local Toyota but they didn’t really want to touch it so we went back to Mazda.  Yes, probably one of the first hybrids this dealer has touched as we bought one of the first ones they sold.  Lesson probably learnt by the dealer though.  Use the right oil next time.  Dealer principal acknowledged that the manual says to use 0W8 but he didn’t have any in stock so used their regular 10W30.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Habu said:

Some of you may remember my wife bought a 2023 Mazda 2 Hybrid (her previous 2 cars were Mazdas) as she wanted to retain a HUD and the seat material was nicer in the Mazda to the equivalent Yaris. Well, she’s just had it serviced by her Mazda dealer - possibly one of first one’s they’ve serviced.  Firstly, the dealer put in 10W30 oil.  I queried this as it should be 0W8 as stipulated by both the owners manual and Toyota Technical (I rang them to question it).  Mazda advised this is what they put in all their other models but I said not in a Toyota hybrid.  Mazda stuck to their guns and said it would be fine.  I did demand an email from their technical team at HQ to advise it was okay to use 10W30.  I received this email.  Secondly, the Mazda 2 Hybrid tyre pressures, and presumably the identical Yaris, are 29/32 psi (r/f) when cold.  I check these monthly with a high quality Draper pressure gauge and the car faithfully advises the same pressures. During the service the technician put 38 psi in the rears and 41 in the front!  I spoke (complained) to the service manager that the tyre pressures were already correct.  Seemingly, the technician wasn’t aware (really!!!) that the cold tyre pressures are stamped on the plate affixed to the car’s offside B-pillar and, instead, had looked them up on the Mazda service guides.  I said my 2.2 tonne SUV has 35 psi across all 4 tyres so how can a Yaris clone need 41 psi?  The service manager couldn’t answer that one.  I expect the technician would have, as a minimum, a proper rollicking.

https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/mazda2/mazda2_8fr3ee16j/contents/10020105.html

https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/mazda2/mazda2_8fr3ee16j/contents/07030402.html

51 minutes ago, Habu said:

Wanted to go to my local Toyota but they didn’t really want to touch it so we went back to Mazda.  Yes, probably one of the first hybrids this dealer has touched as we bought one of the first ones they sold.  Lesson probably learnt by the dealer though.  Use the right oil next time.  Dealer principal acknowledged that the manual says to use 0W8 but he didn’t have any in stock so used their regular 10W30.  

The oil grade, I read they do this at Toyota dealers too, cheaping out. Got my 1st service in July let's see, will talk to the service dept first and ask what are they going to put in the Yaris. 

• Like 2

Hmmm. 0W8 looks very very thin when you see this. Not a very scientific test but interesting non the less.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Mooly said:

Hmmm. 0W8 looks very very thin when you see this. Not a very scientific test but interesting non the less.

Thanks for the interesting video.  This is from the owners manual which Mazda dealer admitted was correct.

IMG_0393.jpeg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, tsikis007 said:

Those links are for the Mazda 2, Mazda’s own car with the SkyActiv engines. The Mazda 2 Hybrid is a Toyota Yaris sporting Mazda badges.  These are the tyre pressures for the Hybrid from both the owners manual and door plate.

IMG_0394.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Habu said:

What size rims does the car have? 40psi is (one of) the pressures rated for the 15" rims according to my manual.

I run mine at 38/36 as even I found 40 made it a bit too skittish! :eek: 

It does seem like Mazda haven't sold many of those though if their mechanics are so oblivious to the servicing needs!

I do wonder which Mazda 2 is easier to work on... do Mazda put in little hatches to access things like oil filters or do they have to take the whole undertray off like a lot of the german cars?

4 hours ago, Dick_Dastardly said:

Pfft, that's nothing - Mine were at 60psi when I picked it up! :eek: 

And that was on the 17" rims, which were only rated for half that! :laugh: 

30 minutes ago, Mooly said:

You're not wrong - It makes checking it after a service a real PITA as it's practically invisible on the dipstick when it's new! And it drips off really easily so you have to be a lot more careful to avoid splattering drops of it when checking it!

Even when it's been cooked a bit it's still very light compared to what I'm used to (Never had that problem with diesel - Just driving it home made it black as midnight :laugh: )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Our Mazda 2 Hybrid trim comes with 16” rims.  This is the plate on the B-pillar.

IMG_0396.jpeg

• Like 3

Ironically I have the opposite problem - The sticker on mine is for 17" rims but the car has 15" rims so I always have to tell people to disregard the plate otherwise I end up driving around with the tyres looking like they're flat :laugh: 

(Although the dealer that put on the 15" rims sent me off with one side at 20psi - No idea what they were thinking there...! :eek: )

15 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

The oil grade, I read they do this at Toyota dealers too, cheaping out. Got my 1st service in July let's see, will talk to the service dept first and ask what are they going to put in the Yaris. 

I know. At the first 2 changes by the service of the dealar where i bought my Yaris, they put Genuine Toyota 5W30.   

The first time I didn't note the oil grade during car acceptance.  The second time I asked and they told me: "0W8 doesn't exist.  We use 5W30 as Toyota suggests".  I've told them that on the manual indicates 0w8 or 0W16 as preferred. 

The answer? "Do you still read owner manual? In any case Owner Manual is wrong.  If you don't want 5W30 we can put 0W20 at extra cost".  I accepted 5W30 because how could I trust them that they put 0W20 ? 

Obviusly this year I changed service. They put 0W20.

Probably for my climate ( it went close or slightly below to 0 only few days this year ) 5W30 is ok, but for a cooler climate 0W16 or 0W20 is better.  In any case a 10W30 is out of specs.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Habu said:

Our Mazda 2 Hybrid trim comes with 16” rims.  This is the plate on the B-pillar.

IMG_0396.jpeg

Exactly the same of my 16" rims Yaris.  Mazda 2 Hybrid is just a rebadged Yaris, so why it should be different ? 

• Like 2

You might still get incorrect tyre pressures even if you change to a proper Yaris.  Seems like you have a good car but it’s been let down by a questionable Mazda dealership.  Perhaps it would be better taking your car to another dealership.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Habu said:

That's really bad, I mean if you weren't car savvy, and a lot of people aren't, you'd never have known.

And the tyre pressures, yes when new cars arrive they are always over inflated for travel, and the dealer often forgets to lower them, but 38/41?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

That's really bad, I mean if you weren't car savvy, and a lot of people aren't, you'd never have known.

And the tyre pressures, yes when new cars arrive they are always over inflated for travel, and the dealer often forgets to lower them, but 38/41?

That’s what annoyed me as the tyres were 29/32 when we dropped the car off but the technician inflated them to 38/41.  He obviously didn’t think that those pressures might be incorrect which is worrying. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RickyC said:

The first time I didn't note the oil grade during car acceptance.  The second time I asked and they told me: "0W8 doesn't exist.  We use 5W30 as Toyota suggests".  I've told them that on the manual indicates 0w8 or 0W16 as preferred. 

The answer? "Do you still read owner manual? In any case Owner Manual is wrong.  If you don't want 5W30 we can put 0W20 at extra cost".  I accepted 5W30 because how could I trust them that they put 0W20 ? 

Seriously that's their answer?? Reading someone's experience can help others. If my Toyota dealership service dept or mechanic tells me 0w8 doesn't exist, I'd probably say, "so I know more than u?" Is that how it suppose to work??. Would consider making a complaint regarding charging extra for even 0W20 oil, that would not be something I can put up with. 

Would go to another dealer if that is their attitude and competence, though not always practical as another one could be miles away. As well they could print 0W8 in the papers or enter that in the data, would be none the wiser. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Seriously that's their answer?? Reading someone's experience can help others. If my Toyota dealership service dept or mechanic tells me 0w8 doesn't exist, I'd probably say, "so I know more than u?" Is that how it suppose to work??. Would consider making a complaint regarding charging extra for even 0W20 oil, that's would not be something I can put up with. 

Would go to another dealer if that is their attitude and competence, though not always practical as another one could be miles away. As well they could print 0W8 in the papers or enter that in the data, would be none the wiser. 

The extra charge is also due to a missing transparence in periodic maintenance.  Toyota site indicates the expected price and the actions on each maintenance but not the quality of the used components. It simply states "Oil and filter change" but not which grade is used.  0W20 is more expensive than 5W30 ( and 0W8 I expect to be still more expensive ).  

In the last service they put 0W20 but they charged it me 28€/lt + VAT ( 22% ) while in the previous maintenance 5W30 was 22.6€/lt + VAT. In a year the price could have risen but probably also now 5W30 would be charged less than 28€/lt

Many customers are totally indifferent to the technical questions.  So using a cheaper oil they could avoid the "too exensive" complaint and maybe they could steal a customer to an another dealer.     

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links