Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Toyota Excel 2023 tried to subject me to GBH. Why ?

Louie

Yesterday I  visited a pretty little town in Rutland called Uppingham (my old habitay and while navigating to the town centre and driving within the 30mpg limit close to the  the white lines in the middle of the road the vehicle tried to pull me into a series of cars parked at the side of the road. I can only assume this was something related to lane control but in my opinion this was a dangerous manoeuvre as I had to pull hard on the steering wheel to avoid any collision 😟. I have had this car for nearly 4 months and have not experienced anything like  this before cant wait till July when my new VW Troc arrives apologies to all Toyota owners. My old Corolla Gr sports hybrid  was a dream to drive and I don't know what Toyota have done to this new Excel but I just don't like it. 

• Like 2

I've found the lane assist to be very good in my 23 Icon. I can override it easily just by firmly holding the wheel if I need to, I don't have to pull hard at all. It very rarely has a false alert.

Every car has it now, some systems aren't as good - in a VW Taigo loan car I drove the steering assist is so powerful many elderly people wouldn't be able to overcome it!

The worst car I ever drove with steering assist was a new Mk4 Honda Jazz hybrid, that really did try to crash me every drive and had to be turned off. It just wasn't capable of driving on anything but wide roads with freshly painted white lines.

• Like 2

Louie, had you let it, its next trick you be to throw you through the windscreen if you were not strapped in.

Law One – “A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.” Law Two – “A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.”

Which law did it try to observe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Louie, had you let it, its next trick you be to throw you through the windscreen if you were not strapped in.

Law One – “A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.” Law Two – “A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.”

Which law did it try to observe?

Well I found this under Terminator, if I find any more "I'll be back." 😄

Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS) Lane control systems are better categorized as part of Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS). These are a collection of technologies that assist drivers but don't replace them entirely.

So, while lane control systems share some functionalities with robots, they are a less complex type of technology within the ADAS umbrella.:gunsmilie:😂

• Like 3

My Jazz failed law one - if the road was a typical country road it would steer you towards the centre and oncoming traffic!

move over a bit for oncoming traffic and it would steer you back towards it. 

lane trace assist on anything apart from a freshly tarmacced and painted motorway would result in ever increasing swings from one side of the lane to another. 

even cruise control tried to finish me a few times before I stopped using it - camera based system with no radar was slow to react. It wouldn’t match speed until the last second and then slam on the brakes. As a result the car in front was now further away so it would floor the accelerator to catch up, and repeat the cycle. 

Toyota safety sense is light years ahead. The only thing that doesn’t really work is road sign assist and that can be permanently turned off on my 23. 

• Like 1

Lane centre is a nightmare on a normal road but I thought it is only supposed to work using the motorway cruise control, which is only supposed to be used on the motorway.

If my lane centre sees hatching in the middle of the road to create another lane to turn right, it freaks out and tries to drive me into the kerbon the LHS of the road. I turn it off on normal roads now.

6 hours ago, Louie said:

cant wait till July when my new VW Troc arrives

Bear in mind that legally new VAG cars will be required to have similar safety systems to the current Corolla  - lane keep assist, intelligent speed assistance, etc, etc.

So given your previous posts, may be prudent to join a VW forum .....

• Like 5

Yep, all these new safety features are going to be added to all new cars, courtesy of the EU 🤷‍♂️

On 4/18/2024 at 1:01 AM, CassUK said:

Yep, all these new safety features are going to be added to all new cars, courtesy of the EU 🤷‍♂️

I have a Feb 2024 Peugeot 408 1.2 Puretech.

Yes, the safety features are regulatory imposed, but the Implementation is not the same with each manufacturer.

The Peugeot Lane Keeping Assistant only comes on AFTER 40 mph. So, it wouldn't have run into trouble in lovely Uppingham. Indeed, Peugeot instruction manual says Lane Keeping is aimed at main roads and motorways, hence their reasonable decision for it not to come on in difficult 20-40 mph areas (which I guess in England would be built-up areas with lots of hazards such as parked cars, cyclists, potholes, obscure lane markings).

It's easy to blame the regulators, but there's a YouTube car reviewer who says that Toyota and Honda have the harsher or more intrusive Driver Assistance systems, whilst some other brands have less domineering set-ups.

In this case, let the buyer beware, and to carefully test drive each brand to see what's a deal breaker, and what isn't.

On 4/17/2024 at 3:08 PM, Louie said:

Yesterday I  visited a pretty little town in Rutland called Uppingham (my old habitay and while navigating to the town centre and driving within the 30mpg limit close to the  the white lines in the middle of the road the vehicle tried to pull me into a series of cars parked at the side of the road. I can only assume this was something related to lane control but in my opinion this was a dangerous manoeuvre as I had to pull hard on the steering wheel to avoid any collision 😟. I have had this car for nearly 4 months and have not experienced anything like  this before cant wait till July when my new VW Troc arrives apologies to all Toyota owners. My old Corolla Gr sports hybrid  was a dream to drive and I don't know what Toyota have done to this new Excel but I just don't like it. 

It's self-aware and knows you are wanting to sell it.  🤣

21 minutes ago, drykoke said:

I have a Feb 2024 Peugeot 408 1.2 Puretech.

Yes, the safety features are regulatory imposed, but the Implementation is not the same with each manufacturer.

The Peugeot Lane Keeping Assistant only comes on AFTER 40 mph. So, it wouldn't have run into trouble in lovely Uppingham. Indeed, Peugeot instruction manual says Lane Keeping is aimed at main roads and motorways, hence their reasonable decision for it not to come on in difficult 20-40 mph areas (which I guess in England would be built-up areas with lots of hazards such as parked cars, cyclists, potholes, obscure lane markings).

It's easy to blame the regulators, but there's a YouTube car reviewer who says that Toyota and Honda have the harsher or more intrusive Driver Assistance systems, whilst some other brands have less domineering set-ups.

In this case, let the buyer beware, and to carefully test drive each brand to see what's a deal breaker, and what isn't.

Well said...yes due to regulations these systems are here to stay however it's how companies decide to adopt them.

Many car companies have decided that they do not operate under 40mph and this suits a lot of people whose main journeys are around town.

As for the audible warnings some companies i.e Mazda have a button so that you can turn them off every time without going through a long winded menu.

And if you buy certain brands i.e VAG or BMW you can code them to remember the last settings i.e OFF every time you start your car(not saying this is legal or advisable due to possible insurance issues if you claim after a crash but it will become common)

I do think that Toyota have gone too far but they won't be bothered as they have the USP of a 10 year warranty so it's not going to have an impact on sales.

As for the OP good luck with your TRoc...just google software problems with info and driver systems on any VW forum(The CEO of VW resigned last year because of it)

• Like 2

I have actually joined the VW UK  forum in March this year and its been very helpful but the only irritating feature is members from Australia and other far flung countries seem to comment on issues that don't relate to UK vehicles very odd. I could have sworn the Forum is for UK VAG vehicle owners only. 

That's a matter for that particular forum. Not relevant to here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Louie said:

I have actually joined the VW UK  forum in March this year and its been very helpful but the only irritating feature is members from Australia and other far flung countries seem to comment on issues that don't relate to UK vehicles very odd. I could have sworn the Forum is for UK VAG vehicle owners only. 

I am a member of the VWROC and we allow members from Oz as they basically get the same vehicles as the UK.

One benefit has been the number of MK8 Golf owners who have been able to reject their cars due to software issues because the consumer laws are so much stronger in Oz than here.

Anyway I digress...enjoy your new car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links