Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering knocking...whole column replacement mega bucks!

John Carpenter

Hi

I have a 2015 1.8 hybris Auris...service at Toyota found knocking on steering and have recommended replacing of steering column in near future...at £1900.00 !!! Anybody else had experience of this? And can I get a small independent garage to repair more cheaply!! Plus I have never had this on previous and much older cars!

No experience with auris.

But some things to check:

1. U joints for play

2. Play between telescopic extender

3. Clunk sound on rocking steering due to rubber grommet perishing between power steering motor drive and column.

4. Dried up grease between joints/bearings.

Really need to identify source of noise first by touch/feel/see.

Does it happen when rocking steering with engine off, or engine running?

Toyota will just replace everything rather than individual items in the column. More profitable and less chance of comebacks.

• Like 2

How many miles has the car done? Less than 100K or more than?

If less than 100K, the previous service (2023) was done by a Toyota dealer, and the current service was done within 12 months/10K miles, the steering column may be covered under the Relax service generated extended warranty.

See terms and conditions in the first post of the following:

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Unfortunately car has done 109k...so no cover. But will get an Independent garage who I have used for years to go through the above checks. Sure don't want to Shell out that kind of money without another opinion!

Just drive like this and don’t worry about it. Steering column knocking on most Toyota cars is very common fault and is not an safety issue or something that can deteriorate with time and mileage. It is becoming of drying lubricant on the telescopic splines for rake adjustment. 
My car was like that when I bought it many years ago at only 42k miles, didn’t bother to repair and now at 272k it’s still the same , knocking only in certain conditions and not an mot failure or safety any concerns. Save your money, 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tony. Reassuring!

• Like 1

I agree with Tony's post above. My 2009 Auris had a knocking/clicking steering column for the 6 years I owned it, and the column on my wife's 2018 C-HR has begun doing it too. It has never caused any other issues on either car.

• Like 1

Thanks Yossarian. Glad to hear it...felt faint when the Toyota service assistant quoted £1900.00!

There is a known problem on this generation of steering columns, Used in Auris/Corolla/CT. The bolts stretch and introduce play in the splined sleeve. Although we can't tell for certain, chances are that's the problem you are seeing. Bolts can be ordered from Toyota >> https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-ct-phase-1-intermediate-shaft-bolt/

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links