Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil change

Paul Landymore

17 minutes ago, APS said:

To treat symptoms or as a prophylactic measure?

Preventative purposes, we see a lot of cars (all makes) and quite a few have injector issues, we don't like selling add on's, people always feel conned, but we feel it's a good measure with both petrol and diesel models   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Absolutely not necessary to do any oil changes in between 10k miles or 12 months scheduled intervals. It’s just waste of oil, time and money and does help nothing to extend life of the engine or reduce oil consumption at later date. 
Oil consumption is something that any car with ice will have at some point of its life even if you change the oil every day. 
Those guys from YouTube does great videos but this doesn’t mean they are always right., even if they show laboratory testing results. 
Stick with your intervals as max time / mileage, can do a bit earlier but don’t do it late and never skip a service and use exact type viscosity engine oil as recommended this is all you need to do as maintenance and you will enjoy long and trouble free drive. 
Here is where the things starts to go wrong on cars that hasn’t been used a lot and owners skip service intervals on regular basis. For example, ooo I don’t drive much, the oil still looks good, I will change it later date, then a year after , ooo I only done 4000 miles for two years , let’s keep going and so on. , or use wrong type viscosity. 

Says mr quote everything off YouTube 😉

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, APS said:

Take what he says with a pinch of salt. This is not the first time he appears to be talking out his behind. Wear particles in an engine are under normal circumstances microscopic. If you can see metal particles in the filter, then you have big (end) problems going on. Gearbox oils is a different matter, there you will have loads of tiny metal pieces. Used gear oil will shimmer when stirred.

This ^^

For the above reason, the trend is towards longer service intervals. Several manufacturers now run a 20k mile / 2 year oil service schedule. 

Personally, I only change more frequently in the cars that go on track. Everything else, follows the service schedule. But I do keep a very close eye on the level, the colour of the oil, and any visible staining inside engines. 

Oil-threads are such slippery slopes!

Agreed, even when I did 35k miles per year in my aygo for 3.5 years (yes you read that right!) It never had interim changes and was simply serviced and oil changed every 10k miles by Toyota.. it never missed a beat. And only one summer did I need to top the oil up a bit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, r66stu said:

Agreed, even when I did 35k miles per year in my aygo for 3.5 years

That's ideal and when you definitely don't need to do any interim changes as the car is used for long periods of continuous use. You service the car about three times per year. In that kind of use the engines will do very high mileage without any problems. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, APS said:

In that kind of use the engines will do very high mileage without any problems.

My Carina did 250,000 before rust got it at about 15 years. The first 10 years or so was those sort of miles - lots of motorway. It was a 6,000 mile service interval but it never needed oil between services, though in it's latter years the level on the dipstick did get about halfway down the marked area.

The engines and oils of 50 years ago may look the same to the eye, but they really aren't.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links