Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris gen 3 headlight so so bad 😞

nasamorpheus

I have 2019 Yaris hybrid gen 3, headlights are so bad, so bad.. I never head a car with so narrow beam, can't see       in corner.. sorry for ranting 

• Like 2

It's not a rant, those that had the MK3 (me) or halogen projector headlights unit knows what you are talking about. The only legal way to improve it is to get those 150% short life bulbs. I went the not so legal route, installed hid. Had the car for 5 years, no way would put up with those awful light units. 

• Like 2

I couldn’t go back to halogen bulbs.  I have very dark and poorly lit roads near me but the Yaris Cross LED lights do a superb job in giving plenty of illumination.

• Like 1

You should try riding a 1950s motorbike at night with 6V electrics. 12V sealed beam headlamps were a revelation and then came along halogens.....................................................

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

had the MK3 (me) or halogen projector headlights unit knows what you are talking about.

My Mk3 projectors are very good. They are better than many/most cars I've had before. Then again, I don't go that fast round corners, so YMMV.

• Like 2

I agree, the headlights on mine are pretty poor on dark country lanes, and if its raining, driving in the city I often cant tell if I have even got my headlights on. Even the beams of certain cars behind me create more light surrounding the beams on the road ahead of me from my own lights. Considering the standard HIR2 bulbs that are fitted to the Mk3 first facelift models onwards cost so much more than a standard H4 halogen bulb that the earlier 2011 - 2014 Mk3 would use, I would expect them to be much better than they actually are. How on earth Toyota thought the projector units were an improvement on the pre-facelift model is beyond me. If the roads are dry then I can just about get by with them, but on wet roads in winter, it's pretty dire to be honest.

• Like 2

It’s all EEC Legislation again and the use of regulation 55/60W bulbs.  Just get some legal upgrades - Nightbreakers or similar.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

You should try riding a 1950s motorbike at night with 6V electrics. 12V sealed beam headlamps were a revelation and then came along halogens.....................................................

Not experienced the motorbike thing, but those 7" sealed beam units were a great idea. Proper glass lenses, not silly plastic, and if it failed, lo and behold a complete new, not expensive headlight. Although their light output left a lot to be desired. I have owned and driven a "proper" Beetle with 6v electrics though.

I read that there is some consultation at the moment about the modern trend for these blindingly bright l.e.d. things. I think there should be a limit on their light output and not based on Wattage. That's if I'm allowed an opinion?

I have to confess that my reflector headlight H4s were changed to Osram Nightbreakers which, in spite of more light, don't dazzle and are perfectly road legal. Unlike fitting l.e.d.s in a reflector.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

I used to drive an Opel Kadett A with 6 volt electrics. The headlights weren’t so bad, but when dipped they were useless. Fortunately in those days not a lot of traffic on the roads around here.

• Like 3

The mk4 and cross in icon trims has the worse headlights of all cars.  They are actually less powerful than my parking (side) lights. Something everyone who consider entry trim levels to avoid and go foe design spec as minimum. 
Its not the problem of the bulbs used, it’s the design of the headlights themselves and how one single bulb filament been used for both deeped and main beams., poor design at last. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links