Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine noise

markybug

So the last couple of months i think i can hear a more pronounced engine noise, almost rattly? from approximately the alternator/belts area. Noticeable at idle in the cabin when radio off. Much more noticeable if you are at a drive in window for example. 

Imagine a rattly, clatter almost ?

Will try and post a video of engine at idle. 

Thanks, mark. 

Hi Mark,while a loose belt is a common problem, some Toyota Yaris owners have reported issues with a specific pulley, the tensioner pulley, causing the rattling noise you described. This pulley keeps the serpentine belt tight.  A failing tensioner pulley bearing can cause a racket around the alternator area.

Check the serpentine belt for any cracks,  wear, or signs of excessive oil contamination.  Look at the tensioner pulley for any wobble or excessive play.  While the engine is off, press down on the belt with your thumb. There should be some give, but it shouldn't be slack.Hope this helps.:smile:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Mark,while a loose belt is a common problem, some Toyota Yaris owners have reported issues with a specific pulley, the tensioner pulley, causing the rattling noise you described. This pulley keeps the serpentine belt tight.  A failing tensioner pulley bearing can cause a racket around the alternator area.

Check the serpentine belt for any cracks,  wear, or signs of excessive oil contamination.  Look at the tensioner pulley for any wobble or excessive play.  While the engine is off, press down on the belt with your thumb. There should be some give, but it shouldn't be slack.Hope this helps.:smile:

Thanks for replying.  Is that an easy/inexpensive fix ? What causes it ? (If anything)

Hi Mark,

The ease and cost of fixing the issue depend on the specific cause. If it's just a loose belt, tightening it should be relatively easy and inexpensive. However, if it's a problem with the alternator itself, it could be more involved and costly.

A loose belt over time, can stretch or wear out, causing them to become loose and create noise.Worn out pulleys that are worn or misaligned can cause the belts to slip or make noise.

A faulty alternator an also be a cause, if the alternator bearings are worn out or if there's an internal issue with the alternator, it could cause noise. Sometimes other components driven by the belt such as the water pump or power steering pump can develop issues that create noise.

If you are not confident to investigate any of these then It's best to have a mechanic inspect the vehicle to determine the exact cause and provide an accurate estimate for the repair.Hope this helps :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again , yeh will pop it into the garage when i can. 

• Like 1

The 1.33 engine found in the MK3 does not have a power steering pump on the aux belt, they all used Electric Power Steering (EPS) which is driven from an electric motor on the steering column. I read on another post your car has done about 60K miles, so I would doubt the alternator would be faulty or noisy at that mileage. If anything is liable to cause rattling noises it is the idlers, belt tensioner pulley or possibly the water pump. I know premature water pump failures affected some 1 litre 3 cylinder engines in the past, but not read about early failures in the 1.33 engines. 

Another cause of metallic rattling at idle with the car in neutral and the clutch not depressed is the input shaft bearing in the gearbox, but I would not suspect it would be this at just 60K miles. Also you would more hear that rattle on the passenger side of the engine.

The other type of rattle, or more a clicking sound at idle could simply be tappet noise or fuel injectors clicking. My car does tend to make a bit of this noise at idle and that is at 33K miles. I dont get unduly concerned about it, as my older Mk2 1.3 engine used to do it as well.

Anyway, I'm sure the garage will find out the cause and it may well turn out to simply be a bad pulley bearing. I'd say its best to change the serpentine belt as well as it is probably on the original one and 60K miles would mean it was probably due for change anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most common from front side of the engine is to hear squeking noise. 
Rattling noise is meant lot of things if the engine has timing chain.
For example stretced timing chain, bad timing chain tensioner, bad vvt gear, bad vvt solenoid etc.
Driving style and engine maintenance play an important role.

I think timing chain rattle would be very unlikely in Markybug's case as he has had his car from 30K miles and looked after it, with it now only having done about 60K miles. Chains tend to become noisy at much higher mileages than 60K unless like you say, maintenance has been severely neglected, in particular, oil changes not carried out at between 6000 - 10000 mile intervals

I had an annoying chirping and squeeking noise from the drivebelt area on my old 2006 Mk2 1.3 engine Yaris, that always occured from cold start but vanished when the engine had warmed up. Despite changing and tensioning the belt, the noise soon came back, and it was eventually put down to misalignment of the pulleys themselves causing the belt to slip on the idler pulley and squeek, worse when the weather was damp and the engine was cold.

Rattling from that area rather than squeeking and chirping would not usually be a badly aligned pulley, rather a pulley with failing bearings or a water pump that was failing. It may not be beyond the realms of possibility that the a/c compressor bearings are failing, but I would think this less likely than the idlers or the water pump at 60K miles.

The car had only done 30k by October 2022, and since then have almost doubled it to date. Was serviced last October at its first year under our ownership.  

should have mentioned there is no squealing or squeaks , just the rattly noise. 

mileage is mostly motorway, sitting at 60-65mph. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links