Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheel alignment vs wheel geometry

Confuddled

Hi, I recently tried to book my car in for two new front tyres and wheel alignment.  The garage told me that they can’t do the wheel alignment as it needs wheel geometry not standard alignment and only Toyota can do this. I have had my avensis for almost 9 years and never heard of this. I have had the wheel alignment done at several different places and nobody has ever mentioned anything. Could anyone shed any light on this for me please? Been ripped off by several garages in the past so very skeptical about believing any of them. 

thanks,

Leanne

• Like 1

Hi Leanne,the garage's information about needing wheel geometry  for your Avensis might be inaccurate. A standard wheel alignment typically adjusts toe (angle the wheels point in/out) and sometimes caster (steering axis angle). Wheel geometry is a broader term that encompasses all alignment angles including toe, caster, and camber (vertical tilt of the wheel).Many garages can handle wheel alignment on Toyota Avensis. It's possible some Avensis models have limited adjustability, but a complete inability to do any alignment is unlikely.Your owner's manual should specify if wheel alignment is possible and what adjustments can be made. You need to find a another garage for a second opinion.Hope this helps.:smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Buy yourself one of these and forget about the incompetence of others. I love it and have 3d printed other bits to allow me to do full four wheel alignment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd be surprised if it needed something so complex unless the Avensis uses double-wishbone or multi-link suspension on the front...

Most Toyotas use McPherson struts which have very limited adjustability.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Confuddled said:

Hi, I recently tried to book my car in for two new front tyres and wheel alignment.  The garage told me that they can’t do the wheel alignment as it needs wheel geometry not standard alignment and only Toyota can do this. I have had my avensis for almost 9 years and never heard of this. I have had the wheel alignment done at several different places and nobody has ever mentioned anything. Could anyone shed any light on this for me please? Been ripped off by several garages in the past so very skeptical about believing any of them. 

thanks,

Leanne

That is obviously not true and your car has standard front suspension McPherson type and it’s super easy for alignment check and adjust. 
You can try these guys, I always use them for these services and air con regas. https://www.protyre.co.uk 
Good luck 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links