Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spare Key

robm111

Our 2009 Yaris only has one key and I’d really like to sort a spare. Any advice on how to go about this?

it is one of those keyless smart keys.

im not fussed if it doesn’t have all the functionality - just for emergencies really.

thank you

• Like 1

Hi Robert,there are a couple of options to consider for getting a spare key for your Yaris that doesn't necessarily need all the functionality.

Go to a Toyota Dealer,this is the more secure option as they can cut and program a new key specifically for your car. It  might be a lot pricier than other options, but it's guaranteed to work. A reputable locksmith might  be able to create a spare key for you at a lower cost than the dealer. They can often clone the chip in your existing key to a new one.It's important to find a good locksmith with experience working on Toyota key systems. Even if you don't need all the functionality,  a new key will likely still have some features like unlocking the doors.I would avoid getting a secondhand key as there's no guarantee it can be programmed to work with your car.I hope this helps:smile:

• Like 1

The path of least resistance is the dealer, although it's fairly expensive (Although less expensive than a new set of locks and an ECU if all the keys went missing!)

There may be some third-party auto-locksmiths that can do it for less but finding one that can actually do it can be tricky.

• Like 3

Great thank you. Does anyone know if the blade is actually programmed to the car or is literally just a blade? I know it won’t start the car but thinking it could be useful.

thanks

The blade is just mechanical, and could probably get on cut  (then can at least get in the vehicle.
For the fob, there are people selling them on eBay etc £45 or so, but need need someone to program it (its actually the vehicle that is programmed to accept the key) Need TechStream or similar. There are some £20 red boxes on eBay that say they can do the programming, but I have no knowledge about how well they work.

3 hours ago, robm111 said:

just for emergencies really.

Which is ...

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Although less expensive than a new set of locks and an ECU if all the keys went missing!

Having only one key for modern cars is a huge risk. If you lose it the cost-to-fix for a car of that age is likely write-off territory. Getting a proper duplicate may be expensive but it's really insurance.

(If one of the keys for either of our cars is lost I will be getting a new one asap. No mucking about.)

• Thanks 1

My local garage codes and cuts keys but they are not cheap, my last key was for a Vauxhall mokka and cost £140, not sure what Toyota charge.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links