Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why So Few Gen 4’s?

ninanina

I’ve only had my gen 4 for a little over a week 

The only other gen 4’s I’ve seen have been taxis 

I wonder why they are not more popular with private owners 

We're on our second plugin, and have never seen another whilst driving around Scotland. Aberdeenshire and the Western Isles. Even on our few trips south of the Border I don't recall more than a fifth of a handful.

1 minute ago, altocumulus said:

We're on our second plugin, and have never seen another whilst driving around Scotland. Aberdeenshire and the Western Isles. Even on our few trips south of the Border I don't recall more than a fifth of a handful.

It’s very strange 

I live in a busy city and I do see all other gen’s but no 4’s yet apart from quite a few taxis

I have seen some Corolla’s though 

Sales of the Prius dwindled until in 2022 Toyota GB discontinued it. See:

Factors such as the more popular SUV type vehicle contributed to this.

Having said that, Toyota GB have now decided to sell the current Gen 5.

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Sales of the Prius dwindled until in 2022 Toyota GB discontinued it. See:

Factors such as the more popular SUV type vehicle contributed to this.

Having said that, Toyota GB have now decided to sell the current Gen 5.

Yes it’s a shame Toyota discontinued the Prius 

I did consider the CH-R SUV and I see hundreds of those on the road but it’s quite a bit smaller inside than the Prius 

I wonder if they will ever sell the gen 5 hybrid (not plug in) in the UK

Hi Beverly,IMO there are a couple of reasons why you might not see many Gen 4 Priuses around besides being taxis.Toyota might be offering deals to fleet operators like taxi companies, making the Gen 4 more attractive for them than individual buyers. This could be due to perhaps bulk discounts or special features for fleet vehicles.The Gen 4 might have some features that are less appealing to private owners compared to previous generations or other hybrids. Some reasons which have been previously mentioned is the design of the Gen 4 as it might be seen as less sleek or attractive than earlier models.There could be less luggage space in the Gen 4 compared to previous generations,which might be a turn off for people who need to carry a lot of stuff.The Gen 4 might be priced higher than previous versions or other hybrids on the market, reducing its appeal. Mind you I am sure others will have their own opinions on this.🙂

18 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi Beverly,IMO there are a couple of reasons why you might not see many Gen 4 Priuses around besides being taxis.Toyota might be offering deals to fleet operators like taxi companies, making the Gen 4 more attractive for them than individual buyers. This could be due to perhaps bulk discounts or special features for fleet vehicles.The Gen 4 might have some features that are less appealing to private owners compared to previous generations or other hybrids. Some reasons which have been previously mentioned is the design of the Gen 4 as it might be seen as less sleek or attractive than earlier models.There could be less luggage space in the Gen 4 compared to previous generations,which might be a turn off for people who need to carry a lot of stuff.The Gen 4 might be priced higher than previous versions or other hybrids on the market, reducing its appeal. Mind you I am sure others will have their own opinions on this.🙂

Well I come from a Gen 2 and I love how the 4 looks because it’s different!

As far as luggage space goes I reckon there’s not much in it, maybe slightly bigger in the 4

As far as driving the 4 compared to the 2 there’s a huge difference; it’s much more comfortable, quieter, quicker and seems to handle pretty well too 

You might be right Bper about it being more expensive than other hybrids at the time and maybe there were better deals for taxi drivers 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ninanina said:

Well I come from a Gen 2 and I love how the 4 looks because it’s different!

As far as luggage space goes I reckon there’s not much in it, maybe slightly bigger in the 4

As far as driving the 4 compared to the 2 there’s a huge difference; it’s much more comfortable, quieter, quicker and seems to handle pretty well too 

You might be right Bper about it being more expensive than other hybrids at the time and maybe there were better deals for taxi drivers 

Hi Beverly,the fact that you have purchased a gen 4 only confirms to Toyota owners what a good car it is and this is obviously confirmed by some of the biggest users being the taxi drivers.Whenever we go back to London it looks like every other car is a Toyota. Prius gen 4 taxis are everywhere so they cant be wrong can they. Enjoy yours and after all it is a Toyota.:smile:

3 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi Beverly,the fact that you have purchased a gen 4 only confirms to Toyota owners what a good car it is and this is obviously confirmed by some of the biggest users being the taxi drivers.Whenever we go back to London it looks like every other car is a Toyota. Prius gen 4 taxis are everywhere so they cant be wrong can they. Enjoy yours and after all it is a Toyota.:smile:

Indeed Bper 

This is our 5th Toyota and wouldn’t drive anything else, well apart from a Lexus 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ninanina said:

Indeed Bper 

This is our 5th Toyota and wouldn’t drive anything else, well apart from a Lexus 😉

We had two Lexus in the past and they were both lovely cars. Have also test driven a few as well. They are exceptional and if anyone hasn't test driven one IMO they should.:smile:

We've had 4 Prius since 2007 (with two RAV4s in between).

There was a recent temptation to go to the Gen 5 PHV - with slightly better Battery range, but not at 6.9% APR (All electric BZ4 is on offer at 0%) on PCP - so, sadly, unless a miracle occurs we shall end our driving days with our current Gen 4 PHV - We're showing 124 mpg on the trip computer since purchase and just under 10k mileage, so we can't really grumble. Our main garage for petrol is Stornoway or just outside Tarbet on Harris - and we live in Aberdeenshire - the car is really that good! And, apart from some downhill drive charging - especially a long decline between Harris and Lewis, we only top up at home.

• Like 1

I think it depends where you live. In London and surrounding areas gen4 Priuses are at every corner as ph cars and taxis. Privately owned Priuses has never been the norm in uk , the majority of people simply doesn’t like them.
With Corolla, Yaris, chr and rav4 hybrids Toyota gave plenty of choice to customers to pick the car they like the most and enjoy the Prius hybrid technology. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links