Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

P0236

NO IQ

Hello everyone,

I have a 1.6 diesel engine Toyota Auris. Suddenly, a check engine sign appeared and I took it to a local dealership. His OBD scanner shows the issues with P0236. But later on, when I drive it to the Toyota dealer they message me with other problems also (P00BC, P0402, and P2279). So, I am bit confused, are these issues connected and did the P0236 issue bring these other issues or other issues will be fixed automatically after fixing P0236? 

It was either the EGR or it blew an intake pipe, yes all related to the intake

The BMW 1.6 (Toyota 1ww) is notorious for the intake runner flaps aka swirl flaps at anything above 80k miles they just get sooted up, especially with short journies

• Confused 1

Not sure if entirely relevant to your case, but the intercooler hoses on the 1WW engine are very susceptible to cracking/breaking anywhere in the red boxed area, worth looking at  

image.thumb.png.b32081921f882c8838486b97540f4c03.png  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, It's unlikely that the P0236 trouble code caused the other three P00BC, P0402, and P2279 that the Toyota dealership found. These codes likely represent separate issues with your Toyota. P0236, this code indicates a problem with the turbocharger boost sensor circuit. There could be a faulty sensor, wiring issue, or a problem with the turbocharger itself. P00BC, this code signifies a malfunction in the intake valve control system. It could be due to a faulty solenoid valve, wiring problem, or carbon buildup in the intake valves.P0402 code points to an issue with the exhaust gas recirculation EGR system. Possible causes can be a clogged EGR valve, faulty EGR solenoid, or a leak in the EGR system.P2279,this code is less common and indicates a problem with the correlation between the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. It could be due to a sensor malfunction, wiring issue, or mechanical problem with the timing chain.

While these issues are separate, they can all lead to a decrease in engine performance and fuel efficiency. It's best to have the Toyota dealership diagnose the cause of each trouble code and recommend the necessary repairs. Fixing the P0236 code might improve some symptoms, but it's unlikely to resolve the other problems entirely.Discuss the repair with the dealership. The P00BC intake valve control and P0402 EGR system issues could possibly cause more damage if you leave them.

Ask the dealership for a breakdown of the repairs for each trouble code so you can get an idea of costs etc.hope this helps.:smile:

• Like 1

Hi Bob it is related

as it's all linked to the intake

P0236 - boost pressure - intake

• The difference between the average value calculated from the exhaust gas pressure and ambient pressure and the value from the turbo pressure sensor exceeds 300 mbar (30 kPa).

• The difference between the average value calculated from the exhaust gas pressure and ambient pressure and the value from the turbo pressure sensor exceeds -80 mbar (-8 kPa).

P0402 - egr excessive flow puts exhaust gasses into the intake

P2279 - Is an intake leak

• Monitoring detachment of charge air hose via dynamic monitoring of the charging pressure. The fault code is set if the charging pressure control deviation exceeds an operating point dependent limit value for 0.5 seconds.

• Monitoring detachment of charge air hose based on air mass in near idle range with exhaust gas recirculation deactivated. The fault code is logged when the air mass measured at the air mass meter drops below a limit dependent on the operating point for 2.5 seconds.

P00BC - MAF low flow

Either condition is met (3 trip detection logic):

• A difference exists between estimated MAF and actual MAF for 5 seconds.

• When boost pressure control errors are detected on both high pressure and low pressure sides for 5 seconds.

• Like 1

This question best answer from the garage who scanned the faults. 

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Hi Bob it is related

as it's all linked to the intake

P0236 - boost pressure - intake

• The difference between the average value calculated from the exhaust gas pressure and ambient pressure and the value from the turbo pressure sensor exceeds 300 mbar (30 kPa).

• The difference between the average value calculated from the exhaust gas pressure and ambient pressure and the value from the turbo pressure sensor exceeds -80 mbar (-8 kPa).

P0402 - egr excessive flow puts exhaust gasses into the intake

P2279 - Is an intake leak

• Monitoring detachment of charge air hose via dynamic monitoring of the charging pressure. The fault code is set if the charging pressure control deviation exceeds an operating point dependent limit value for 0.5 seconds.

• Monitoring detachment of charge air hose based on air mass in near idle range with exhaust gas recirculation deactivated. The fault code is logged when the air mass measured at the air mass meter drops below a limit dependent on the operating point for 2.5 seconds.

P00BC - MAF low flow

Either condition is met (3 trip detection logic):

• A difference exists between estimated MAF and actual MAF for 5 seconds.

• When boost pressure control errors are detected on both high pressure and low pressure sides for 5 seconds.

Hi Bob,I see your point entirely. The P0236 code boost pressure certainly suggests a possible air intake problem, and it makes sense how that could impact the other codes P00BC, P0402, P2279 you mentioned. It's a good observation. However as the OP didn't specify that Toyota had confirmed that the other codes all related to a intake problem i was trying to point put that these other codes can sometimes be triggered by separate issues beyond the intake system. Each code P00BC, P0402, P2279 can point towards a different part of the engine, like intake timing, exhaust gas recirculation, or sensor malfunctions.

In my previous response, I was aiming to be as helpful as possible by mentioning various possibilities. While there could be some overlap between the issues, once Toyota confirms that these additional codes do all relate to the suspected intake problem we can't definitely say this is the exact cause.:smile:

Duplicate topics merged.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links