Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

From 205/55/R16 to 215/55/R16

xavieraj

Hey everyone, I'm considering upgrading to 215/55/R16 tires. Does anyone have experience with this size? Is it a bad idea? Looking for that slightly improved handling/cornering and a smoother drive due to the cushioned sidewalls maybe? I'd like to know if it causes any issues, like rubbing against the wheel well or a bulgier sidewall affecting the driving experience. Any insights would be appreciated!

This is totally different size and likely not gonna fit. Even if you manage to fit these tyres you will have very different dynamic characteristics and worse fuel efficiency, worse handling and performance. Just keep your original size 205/55 16 , this is the best size wheels and tyres  for Corolla. 

• Like 3

Bigger doesn't equal better with tyres. An advantage of 205/55 16s is that virtually every car manufacturer seems to fit, or has fitted, this size tyre to at least one of their models in recent years, which means you can buy good quality tyres in this size for a good price, partly due to economies of scale. 215/55 16s are not quite as popular and tend be more expensive (sometimes significantly) for the same brand and tread pattern.

• Like 2

I only see disadvantages on that choice. Added to that, it is simply forbidden to change the tire circonference.

205/55/16 is for sure the way to go.

Would also possibly invalidate the insurance (unless you told them) and the warranty.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 4:19 PM, xavieraj said:

Hey everyone, I'm considering upgrading to 215/55/R16 tires. Does anyone have experience with this size? Is it a bad idea? Looking for that slightly improved handling/cornering and a smoother drive due to the cushioned sidewalls maybe?

Hi Ajay - I'm not sure how wide the standard rims are, 6.5" or 7" in either case you're at the upper limit of what you'd put on that width. You'd need to check clearances with your current tyres to see how much space you've got - particularly on the inside, and at full lock. As it's a non-standard size you're flying solo here and you'd need to do plenty of research and maybe go to a tyre garage and see if you could borrow a bare tyre to check clearances. 

Clearance aside, I'm not sure you'd gain much. Gain being the key word as it depends what you are looking for. Stability and response? Taller side wall will give you the opposite. Grip? You may or may not. As you might be putting too wide a tyre on a slim rim you could loose grip. Do you really drive on the limit of grip? Naughty naughty! In which case you should just get wider wheels with an offset that allow you to fit wide tyres. 

You will also need to tell the benevolent people at your insurer so they can update your policy and charge you an itsy bitsi nominal feel. 

Or... you can just stay with the standard tyre size, but stick some Michelin PS 4 (4S is you can find them in that size) and under inflate them slightly.  At which point, Bob might as well be your uncle. 

On 4/22/2024 at 4:19 PM, xavieraj said:

Looking for that slightly improved handling/cornering...

It's very doubtful that you would notice any difference in handling.

Sidewall height:

• 205/55 = 4.4"
  • 215/55 = 4.7"

So, you would gain only three tenths of one inch by fitting the 215/55.

If you want a more comfortable ride, fitting a 15" wheel would give you a higher sidewall, but if you want "...improved handling/cornering..." i.e. less tyre roll, sharper cornering, then you should be looking at fitting a 17" tyre and wheel package which would give you a lower sidewall, but you would probably find the ride quality more harsh.

tyre_calc.thumb.png.f647ba6171b0ab85078c68179e8763d7.png

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

• Like 2

Sure you would have to drop to 50 profile to keep the rolling radius of the tyre the same. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links