Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low fuel light coming on with only 14 miles left to drive

patty12

I have a 2024 crolla cross and my fuel light coming on continues to only show I have 14 or 15 miles left to drive.  The owners manual says it comes on with 1.8 gallons left in the tank.   Something doesn't match up here!   Wonder which is wrong...the 14 or 15 miles to drive or the owners manual?

4 minutes ago, patty12 said:

Wonder which is wrong...the 14 or 15 miles to drive or the owners manual?

The estimated range. Always trust your own maths and not the computer. If you know your tank holds 45 litre and you fill up 35 when the light comes on, then you know you have about a 10 litre ( 2 gallon?) reserve. 

• Like 2

15 miles range for the fuel light is probably ok - the reserve tank below zero miles is large due to bad things happening to the car if you ever run out of fuel.

I always fill up at 1/4 tank at the latest, apart from the first drive when I picked up the car from new - the range left hadn't had time to calibrate itself to my motorway driving and was dropping faster than the miles I was driving.

• Like 1

I see the "estimated" range is so poor as it was 10 years ago...

Do as APS suggests, do your own mathwork.

In my case, when the low fuel blinks, I'm sure I have about 1.8 gallons / 8 l in the bag, that will give me 70-80 miles ahead.

It's clear that you'll be able to do at least 60 miles with a Corolla.

• Like 1

The 10-15 miles is the estimated range before you start to use your reserve fuel, not when you run out of fuel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, patty12 said:

I have a 2024 crolla cross and my fuel light coming on continues to only show I have 14 or 15 miles left to drive.  The owners manual says it comes on with 1.8 gallons left in the tank.   Something doesn't match up here!   Wonder which is wrong...the 14 or 15 miles to drive or the owners manual?

When you refuel, are you filling the tank? If you are only putting in small amounts and run to the low fuel light, the onboard computer will miscalculate.

• Like 2

I was going to say the same thing - Unless you fill the tank, it is basically just guessing :laugh: 

I think the minimum you need to put in is something like 20 litres for it to reset properly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links