Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking for a yaris clean no hidden bumpz

dads Taxi x3

Hi all iv been looking for a good fair priced toyota yaris 

I keep finding one  cat N or cat S now iv been told by bro in law  don't buy  cat damaged cars you never get them insured fair as insurance   bumped them .Well tonight I found a car ticked all boxes .  Made arrangements to go see the car then finds the old add and there it is   CAT N  nothing on the new add but old one it's twice CAT N .

I thought they had to tell you it's history. 

Also are CAT N an S ok what does it really meant .it cos I was told there bad news  but are they  

11 minutes ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

Hi all iv been looking for a good fair priced toyota yaris 

They are a bit like the truth,rare but they are out there,que X files intro 🎵.

Trouble is with written off cars,is they will always be re built written off cars, it's on the V5.

Cat s,n or any other kind of cat, trouble with insurance yes, and if you are hesitant to buy one, so will everyone else in the future.

Easy to spot on flea bay, eye catching price for the year/mileage, then bam yep it's a rebuilt write off.

• Like 5

Hi yes this one is not that much lower than the rest (non cats ) so it was just one he liked . As for cats N or S  are they worth buying then . This one says the bumper was damaged that was it .so that's not that bad really but still it's REGed as a CAT . .as it's his 1st car (my son) I don't want to buy a CAT S and him not get insurance.. 

2 hours ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

I thought they had to tell you it's history. 

People lie.

I'd really like to trust strangers, but experience says that's a really bad idea. Because a quick buck trumps being honest every day of the week.

There are honest people out there, but the chances of any given advertiser being one is not worth the risk. Assume the worst - hope to be wrong.

• Like 4

look on eBay or a local dealer. always do your checks

• Like 3

Why not get a few insurance quotes and see if it's a price you're prepared to pay?

• Like 4

Hi thanks for your input  .the car is fully loaded as they say its got all the bells an whistles so it sounds like a good deal  but we all know that line . We had a few insurance quotes  but as it my sons 1st car  (which we all want 100%safe for our kids ) the insurance  is high compared to ours with him on it . £1500 they asking .  They said in the old add its just very light damaged to bumper . But as you guys said ppl lie  does say they got photos . 

We don't really think we going to be selling it in few years  as it's his learn car .  I'm just trying to get as many others inputs in to this as poss .   Would you guys buy it for your son .  Its a price that's he can afford  but I'll be asking a few more questions now  they do say its got full toyota service  so that's good right.    Thanks for your advice still like your thoughts now . 

• Like 1

C, D, and N are classed as repairable. S is structural but can be repaired. I'd still avoid S unless I was convinced by repair evidence. Official details

If buying a written off car you want someone who is upfront and honest about it and can show you photos of exactly what it was that was damaged and how it was repaired. Many times it is things that are expensive but completely fine to repair. Like a damaged door or body panel that can easily be replaced and brings the car completely back to normal again. Demand photos photos photos... and receipts.

• Like 4

Don’t buy it unless is 30-40% cheaper than non repaired similar spec car. 
The insurance issues if any is your smallest trouble. 
As mentioned ppl aren’t honest and often repaired cars had been way worse than what they described. Accident repaired cars only worth if you buy it yourself broken and fix it by yourself. 
The biggest problems with these are structural weaknesses and in event of accidents your life and the life of any passengers are at greater risks.
Then the next big issue is premature corrosion, rust , paint bubbling, paint pealing and no warranty on any body parts , basically you are loosing 12 years corrosion warranty. And finally the safety and electronics, cars post 2016 are full of these, Yaris has so many safety systems that will be either off permanently or will not function correctly. And final thoughts, the prices of category cars are very similar to non category cars, just move on and keep looking and do your checks and tests because there are also plenty of accident repaired non recorded cars which are also a full stop. 
The regular forum members are well aware of people coming here and sharing a list of problems after they purchase cars like these. 
Good luck 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cat S is structural damaged, personally wouldn't risk this category. While cat N is non structural, if the price is good then it can be ok. 

• Like 2

My MiL was rear ended.  Only slight damage to rear bumper.  The car was written off.

A shunt can transfer shock loads much further forward than you might expect. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

Would you guys buy it for your son .  Its a price that's he can afford

There's a conundrum in there. Are you buying it, or is he buying it? 

If he is buying it with limited funds then it might be a good chance for a decent car in his price bracket - if it can be proved good.

If you are buying it or helping him with extra cash (which I did for my son not long ago), then it might be better to pay more to get a less 'complicated' car. 

(Something else to consider. Young drivers have high premiums because they are prone to hit things. (I wrote my first car off within a year or two.) It might not be serious but they may well collect bumps and scrapes, so getting something that is a bit worse for wear and thus cheaper may make sense.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi . My son is paying for it as he has a job . Me an Mrs bought the aygo he learned to drive in . Which is now my daughters car . The car is his 1st own car and tho it's not expensive it's for him to learn to drive in . He wants a honda civic in 3 or 4 years or so as he's saving up for it an building his no claims bonus.  

We won't be selling it on as it go to my daughter when he goes for his civic.  

I'll ask for more photos  ones that showd the damage as they said they had them in the old add . 

And check the prices  it's about £800 to £1000 cheaper than others non cats . Insurance said yes to insuring it .  Its just what he say about damages an why not told me I guess   

• Like 2

What Civic is he after? The last good one (The EP3, nemesis of the Corolla T-Sport people! :laugh: ) aren't that expensive 2nd hand depending on how much they've been riced :laugh: . If he's not looking for a Type R they are even cheaper...

And the newer 'Monobrow' ones can be had for even less...!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's the new type R one he's after .

in  royal blue i think he said or the german grey one .  There £15K and I don't want to go there for insurance lol  why he's going for a cheap one to build it . 

OK back to the car in question and seller turns out it's a garage not a private sale . I told him to day that I found the old add  with the CAT.. N info on it  and the new don't have the CAT N info on it 

I asked him for the information off the log book to do the hpi  check he refused to give the 11 dig log book one  so I can't do the check till buy the car . So I'm going to go all over the car to see if there any faults if I find any. As we not planning on selling the car  the insurance said its fine so I still need to hear your info . Cheers 

14 minutes ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

I asked him for the information off the log book to do the hpi  check he refused to give the 11 dig log book one  so I can't do the check till buy the car .

That suggests to me he's hiding something.

• Like 2

Walk away.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

It's the new type R one he's after .

in  royal blue i think he said or the german grey one .  There £15K and I don't want to go there for insurance lol  why he's going for a cheap one to build it . 

Oh the new new one with the 3 exhausts? Yeah that's quite a jump in price! :laugh: 

If you have the registration plate you can look up its MOT history for free via the gov.uk site, and also use paid services like CarVertical to dig out more info (Many car YouTubers are sponsored by them now, e.g. JayEmm, AutoAlex etc. so you can use their discount codes).

Frankly though, the Yaris is not a rare car so I'd look elsewhere rather than deal with all the hassle this one will no doubt bring. Unless it's ungodly cheap, it's not worth wasting your time on it - The only ones worth that kind of hassle are the Mk1 T-Spirits and D4D T-Spirits as they are super rare, but the regular 1.0 and 1.3 petrols are quite plentiful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

he refused to give the 11 dig log book one  so I can't do the check till buy the car

Please - as others have said, walk away. This guy is definitely some kind of artist - probably of the impressionist school.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Deffo walk away, a garage has to tell you if the car has been CAT damaged, best go elsewhere for a Kebab, far too many get rich quick garages appearing. I always get the address of the garage then Google map it and drop the little man in the road outside the garage and look to see what the buildings are like, it can tell you a lot,  here's an example, here's my wife's car what got written off, it had 11mths MOT when this happened, I think it was 3yrs ago now, we were told not to had over the LOG book (V5) when the car was collected and it was back on the road within 4wks with the remainder of the MOT, if any of the members have this car, it was written off.

20210401_091802.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Dealer hiding info eh?

Sounds dodgier than a dodgem operator with 20 dodgems to me.

Please listen to what the others are saying and find another,the old saying "there's always another one" is true.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

For a £800-£1000 price difference?! 
I will not even click on the advert to read the description. 
Everyone says walk away and for a good reason me think. 

• Like 5

Can the history of a vehicle cannot be checked with a number plate now? Dodgy trader, sounds like might have even been a cat S. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, dads Taxi x3 said:

so I can't do the check till buy the car . So I'm going to go all over the car to see if there any faults if I find any. As we not planning on selling the car  the insurance said its fine so I still need to hear your info .

If he doesn't want to give you the details about the car (and thus help you buy the car off him), then why would you want to give him your money?

There are loads of Yaris'esess out there. Be patient and you will find a good car from an honest seller.

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links