Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 Avensis left turn signal lights stay on.

DrivesIt

Hello.  New to this group.  After storing the car for six months with Battery going flat, the left turn lights stay on continuously even with the ignition turned off.  I have to remove the Battery cable to make it go off.  The car runs and drives well.  The Battery in the key fob was weak and would not unlock the doors, so I tried opening the driver side door with the key.  I turned it to the right and nothing happened, so turned it to the left and then the alarm went off.   I have since replaced the battery in the fob and now works as it should.  The right turn signal lights work fine and if I turn on the flashers, only the right side will flash while the left side stays on constantly.  Is there something I can check that does not require any special equipment?

Hi

If your car has a towbar, you should start from the towbar socket! There is probably some corrosion and a short, so turn signals get the ground from there. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ents said:

Hi

If your car has a towbar, you should start from the towbar socket! There is probably some corrosion and a short, so turn signals get the ground from there. 

Thanks for the reply.  I did quite a bit of searching for this problem and that seems to be the most common problem, but this car has never had a towbar.  Is it possible there is some problem in the light assembly itself?

Hi Dean, if it isn't a grounding issue as Henri above has said then it could be if the indicator stalk is stuck in the left turn position, it will send a continuous signal to the left turn lights causing them to stay on. This is  relatively common and can most of the time be fixed with a wiggle or two of the lever.A faulty indicator switch or wiring problem within the indicator circuit could be sending a continuous signal to the left turn light as well. Its possible a faulty relay could also be the cause so it may be worth swapping these over to see if this makes any difference depending on your model.Hopefully its something simple.Trust this helps.:smile:

• Like 1

Thanks, Bob.  If the indicator stalk is stuck will the light stay on after the ignition switch is turned off?  

Hi Dean,when an indicator stalk is stuck in the on position,it can cause the indicator light to stay illuminated, even after the ignition switch is turned off. To test whether the indicator stalk is causing the indicator light to stay on after the ignition switch is turned off, you can try this,

Operate the indicator stalk ensure the indicator stalk is in its neutral position not engaged. Then, manually activate the indicator signals in both directions and ensure they return to the neutral position afterward.

Turn off the ignition once the indicator signals are in the neutral position, turn off the ignition switch.

Observe the indicator lights after turning off the ignition,look whether any indicator lights remain illuminated on the dashboard. If the indicator light corresponding to the direction indicated by the stalk stays on, it could indicate a problem with the stalk or its mechanism.

Check for other issues, If the indicator light stays on, try manipulating the indicator stalk to see if it affects the light. Additionally, check for any other electrical issues in the vehicle's lighting system.Hope this helps:smile:

8 hours ago, Bper said:

Observe the indicator lights after turning off the ignition,look whether any indicator lights remain illuminated on the dashboard. If the indicator light corresponding to the direction indicated by the stalk stays on, it could indicate a problem with the stalk or its mechanism.

Check for other issues, If the indicator light stays on, try manipulating the indicator stalk to see if it affects the light. Additionally, check for any other electrical issues in the vehicle's lighting system.Hope this helps:smile:

Yes, the indicator light on the dashboard stays on solid, so I have ordered an indicator switch.  I'll let you know if it solves the problem.  

• Like 1

I would pull the fuse for the indicator, the relay, disconnect the indicator and hazard warning switches, one at a time to eliminate possible causes. It sounds like a combination of poor grounding, a short and a stuck relay.

Thanks everyone.  I was able to purchase a used indicator switch off eBay for £18.  It was a hassle switching it out but it works fine now. 

UPDATE:  My euphoria was short lived.  It did work when I installed the new indicator, but then went back to the left signal lights remaining on even when turned off and also not signaling.  Now it will sometimes blink and then go off, then blink a few times and stay on.  Very erratic but mostly just stays on, so I'm back to unhooking the Battery again.  

Any of you know how to remove the relay?   I think it's up under the dash behind the steering column but cannot see it.  

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a new flasher/relay which came yesterday.  After installing it, the indicator works perfectly now.  The relay is located behind the instrument cluster and is difficult to impossible to remove.  The access hole behind the cluster is very small, so you can't get to it with your hand.  Toyota must have some special tool to remove it and replace it.  I was able to pry the relay loose with a long shank flat screwdriver but very difficultly.  It has a plastic bracket that plugs into a hole in a metal bracket.  It was impossible for me to plug it back in, so I just tossed it behind the cluster and left it there.  It has three clips that holds it to the wiring harness plug which makes it difficult to remove but also ensures that it will never come loose.  One of the photos attached shows the relay (inside the blue circle) in place. The other photo shows the relay with the plastic bracket that plugs into a metal bracket.  

20240508_111146.jpg

20240508_120507.jpg

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links