Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris - Check hybrid system

ThomasBZ

Hi all,

I hope someone here would be able to advise me on my recent issue, any insights or thoughts are welcome.

Last weekend while driving on a highway a "Check hybrid system" error popped up (the yellow one). Nothing changed except for the cruise control switching off (and the energy display stopped showing any movement/arrows)

I stopped, restarted the car, the error still remained. For a while cruise control and energy display were back on and one minute later switched off again.

When back town, I stopped and restarted again, same issue. Nothing else feels like it changed while driving. 

The next day the error remained but the cruise control seemed to work (I did not use it while in town since then) and same for the energy monitor it works just fine now.

My colleague had a simple OBD scanner, we checked - no errors found at all, zero. However it is a 9 year old scanner and may not be hybrid compatible.

I limit my driving to only necessary trips and signed up for diagnostics at my usual car service for next Monday.

Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? 

I am no professional when it gets to cars, so anything is helpful.

Is it fine to keep driving minimally (to work and back - around 30 km a day.) or should I not move the car until I am taking it to the mechanic?

(The car is Toyota Auris 2014, with 120.000 KM on it)

Many thanks!

Hi, 

this can be triggered by numerous reasons but most common are hybrid Battery dead or hybrids Battery cooling fan blocked by dirt. 
First checks you need to do is to check hybrid Battery cooling fan grill located somewhere near the rear seat, open and clean and if necessary replace the filter if you have any. If too dirty inside the air ducks you will need to open and clean the fan and ducts too. 

• Like 1

@ThomasBZ Check the intake of the air cooled Battery. It is on the rear seat area.  Toyota sell a clipon screen that you can install a paper filter behind it. You can clean it every year to keep your Battery life long. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your comments and advise.

In case anyone was wondering, here's the update as I understand it:

The diagnostics said it was a faulty hybrid Battery fan or so. They found another used one, replaced it, the error still pops up.

They then tracked it down to the fuse box. It will have to also be replaced as something is wrong with the current and the new fan won't work.

They suspect it was the old faulty Battery fan that may have messed it up.

I am hoping the fuse box will get it fixed. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links