Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

NCT

Roker

My hybrid is booked for its first NCT. Are the inspectors familiar with hybrids, eg. how to run the engine in maintenance mode for emission test etc. any bad experiences

• Like 1

Hi, 

in uk hybrids goes through mot without emission testing, or at least has always been the case with me up till my last mot back in November 2023. 
The testers never turn the car in maintenance mode, most of them properly unaware of it anyway. They just keep the car in ready mode and in N or P to do their checks on wheels and suspension when the car is on the ramp. The test itself is similar or same to the non hybrid cars. 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

in uk hybrids goes through mot without emission testing, or at least has always been the case with me up till my last mot back in November 2023. 
The testers never turn the car in maintenance mode, most of them properly unaware of it anyway. They just keep the car in ready mode and in N or P to do their checks on wheels and suspension when the car is on the ramp. The test itself is similar or same to the non hybrid cars. 👍

Do garages still do MOTs in the UK? In Ireland there is computer controlled tests in a dedicated centre

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roker said:

Do garages still do MOTs in the UK? In Ireland there is computer controlled tests in a dedicated centre

Hi Dan,In Ireland, the national car test (NCT) is conducted at designated test centers, which are separate from traditional garages. The NCT is indeed a centralised computer controlled test for vehicle safety and emissions. In contrast, in the UK, MOT tests are conducted by authorised garages, which may or may not be separate from general repair shops. Both systems aim to ensure vehicles meet safety and environmental standards, but they have different administrative structures.Hope this helps :smile:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roker said:

At least where I live it’s all the same as ever been, the tester check the car  windshield, seat belts, brakes, fuel neck, dashboard warning lights , parking brake, suspension, lights, adjust them as necessary, engine oil, and all other regular checks and inspections. 

With regards to the NCT, the emissions are not done, but everything else is.

I would advise though, for you to make sure your 12v Battery is fully charged. (Or bring your own jump pack)

The reason being, when I had my '19 Corolla hybrid saloon tested last year in Arklow, I noticed that when the tester had finished on the brake rollers and drove onto the lift at the end, he left the car in Neutral (presumably so he could spin the wheels) when doing his checks underneath.
He had also left the lights on, and as you know being left in Neutral in Ready mode, the batteries don't get charged, and leaving the lights on didn't help.

My 12v Battery was a very weak at the time, and by the time he finished and dropped the lift, the car had shut itself down and he couldn't get it restarted.

Luckily I was watching through the viewing windows, and saw what had happened. When he opened the shutter at the end I called him out and explained what had happened, and if he has a jump pack handy that will start the car.
He had a jump pack there, and after starting the car up, left it outside the main office window (in Ready mode but in Park) while I collected my cert.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links