Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MY23 Corolla onwards - Anyone actually had an OTA update?

Chainbreaker

As thread title, has anyone ever actually had an over the air update for the infotainment in their MY23 onwards Corolla with the new smart connect plus system? 

Had mines since November last year and have never had an update despite checking occasionally.

How often do Toyota do them? Is it an annual thing?

Screen goes white and it says "updating". Lasts 5 to 10 secs. I assume it's just traffic stuff.

I have an October 23 GR Sport 2ltr hatchback.

Have never received an update since I collected the car from the dealership.

• Like 1

Maps are really out of date, called into Tescos at Gloucester Quedgeley Extra

This looks to be years old but doesn’t appear on Toyota maps.

I took delivery of my Corolla on Jan 19th and haven’t received an OTA update yet as far as I’m aware. I have wondered whether I would receive any OTA updates though, as I haven’t done anything in terms of ‘logging in’ to the  Smart Connect system on my car. Via the MyToyota App I’m able to use the remote climate feature and remote unlocking but I don’t get trip history or car location info, indicating that I haven’t gone through the proper set up procedure. I should look into that, really.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrackLink said:

I took delivery of my Corolla on Jan 19th and haven’t received an OTA update yet as far as I’m aware. I have wondered whether I would receive any OTA updates though, as I haven’t done anything in terms of ‘logging in’ to the  Smart Connect system on my car. Via the MyToyota App I’m able to use the remote climate feature and remote unlocking but I don’t get trip history or car location info, indicating that I haven’t gone through the proper set up procedure. I should look into that, really.

I've only just taken delivery of my Corolla TS (24/4).   I don't think that I have had any updates although it is likely too soon to know what, if anything, will happen. 

Probably nothing, because I also haven't logged in to the Smart Connect system and have no intention of doing so.   This because I take the view that software upgrades may not always be to my benefit.    Based on the ownership of VW Group cars for the last 30 years or so (and, yes, I did own a 'dieselgate' car and avoided the software update that ruined the driveability of many cars by using an indy for servicing).

I also haven’t bothered with the MyT app.   Partly because the cynic in me suspects that it smacks of being a Toyota marketing tool;   and partly because, again, I don't think that it would have any real benefits for me.   If I reach the stage of not being able to remember where I left the car I'll take it as a sign that it's time to stop driving...

• Haha 1

The last OTA software release was april 23, new cars are arriving with later software however there is an issue with a random unrecoverable boot loop which is being investigated so new OTA releases have been paused. 

As for mapping there are two forms:

• OTA this uses live data to provide the latest maps, traffic, Speed cameras etc however to use this you have to link the car & multimedia with your MyT account and activate connected/remote & standard services. Connectivity is provided by Toyota free for 3 years then via subscription thereafter.
  • Base map, this is an installed map which is designed as a back up for when there is no connection for OTA mapping this only gets updated once a year and can only be updated at a Toyota dealer, updates are free for 7 years.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

The last OTA software release was april 23, new cars are arriving with later software however there is an issue with a random unrecoverable boot loop which is being investigated so new OTA releases have been paused. 

• OTA this uses live data to provide the latest maps, traffic, Speed cameras etc however to use this you have to link the car & multimedia with your MyT account and activate connected/remote & standard services. Connectivity is provided by Toyota free for 3 years then via subscription thereafter.
  • Base map, this is an installed map which is designed as a back up for when there is no connection for OTA mapping this only gets updated once a year and can only be updated at a Toyota dealer, updates are free for 7 years.

Thank you.   Useful info for a Toyota newbie.

It does rather illustrate the point as to why I am reluctant to set up any form of connection to Toyota.   My car, including software, seems to be working perfectly and the last thing I want is to have it screwed up by a buggy software update.

I only use the car's mapping as a backup anyway so I don't care if it is out of date. 

17 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Excellent info.

PS if you have any say in the OTA software updates can you PLEASE, PLEASE ask if wireless android auto can be included in the next update, pretty please?

1 hour ago, Chainbreaker said:

Excellent info.

PS if you have any say in the OTA software updates can you PLEASE, PLEASE ask if wireless android auto can be included in the next update, pretty please?

If wireless android auto was on offer I might just decide to download the app and set up the connections!

3 hours ago, SDR said:

If wireless android auto was on offer I might just decide to download the app and set up the connections!

On my last VW it only had wired connection available, but I bought a box on Amazon that turned it into wireless. 

you just left it plugged into the car data connection and when you started up it automatically connected to your phone wirelessly. 

there are various ones available, the one I had connected quickly - faster than the official factory fitted wireless system in a fairly new Honda I owned. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, sportse said:

On my last VW it only had wired connection available, but I bought a box on Amazon that turned it into wireless. 

you just left it plugged into the car data connection and when you started up it automatically connected to your phone wirelessly. 

there are various ones available, the one I had connected quickly - faster than the official factory fitted wireless system in a fairly new Honda I owned. 

Interesting, thanks.    I'm not sure why so many cars seem to have wireless Apple carplay but wired android auto.   Maybe to do with licensing?  I don't know. 

TBH, I am not too bothered about having to plug the phone in.   My phone doesn't have wireless charging so the charging pad is of no use to me (unless I upgrade my phone);   but the pad is very low down and I prefer to have the phone higher up for better signal.

The issue for me at the moment is how/where to mount the phone.   I used a YOSH magnetic air vent mount in my last car but it doesn't work with the Corolla's centre vents.   So it's going to have to windscreen (which is steeply raked) or dash top.   If anyone has any suggestions for mounts that work well in a Corolla, I'm all ears!

11 minutes ago, SDR said:

Interesting, thanks.    I'm not sure why so many cars seem to have wireless apple carplay but wired android auto.   Maybe to do with licensing?  I don't know. 

TBH, I am not too bothered about having to plug the phone in.   My phone doesn't have wireless charging so the charging pad is of no use to me (unless I upgrade my phone);   but the pad is very low down and I prefer to have the phone higher up for better signal.

The issue for me at the moment is how/where to mount the phone.   I used a YOSH magnetic air vent mount in my last car but it doesn't work with the Corolla's centre vents.   So it's going to have to windscreen (which is steeply raked) or dash top.   If anyone has any suggestions for mounts that work well in a Corolla, I'm all ears!

MY24 Corollas have wireless android auto as standard with the same infotainment system as the MY23 cars, so should be able to be easily added to MY23 cars with a OTA update, which is why I was asking!

I believe it was to do with licensing, wireless android auto was quite expensive compared to the licence for wireless carplay so not many manufacturers included it.

I think that's changed recently, most major car manufacturers offer wireless AA as standard equipment now. BMW, VAG, mercedes, Peugeot etc all offer wireless AA now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chainbreaker said:

MY24 Corollas have wireless android auto as standard with the same infotainment system as the MY23 cars, so should be able to be easily added to MY23 cars with a OTA update, which is why I was asking!

I believe it was to do with licensing, wireless android auto was quite expensive compared to the licence for wireless carplay so not many manufacturers included it.

I think that's changed recently, most major car manufacturers offer wireless AA as standard equipment now. BMW, VAG, mercedes, Peugeot etc all offer wireless AA now.

Many thanks for the heads-up.   I hadn't looked at the navigation manual in any detail because it seemed quite intuitive to set up (unlike the meter screen);   I had thought that AA was wired only but I haven't connected to it yet because I still need to sort out a suitable phone mount!

Anway, I have now looked at the relevant section of the navigation manual and wireless AA is indeed available.   It's on the 'to do' list.

7 hours ago, SDR said:

but the pad is very low down and I prefer to have the phone higher up for better signal.

Here’s the mount I have, you have a choice of locations as it’s on a swinging arm that clips onto the vent. It’s secure for a 6.5” phone:

IMG_1759.jpeg

Search for - AiHiwvol Cell Phone Holder for Car Vent [Longest Hook] on Amazon 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sportse said:

Here’s the mount I have, you have a choice of locations as it’s on a swinging arm that clips onto the vent. It’s secure for a 6.5” phone:

IMG_1759.jpeg

Search for - AiHiwvol Cell Phone Holder for Car Vent [Longest Hook] on Amazon 

Thanks.   Very helpful.

On 5/10/2024 at 12:56 AM, Chainbreaker said:

I took delivery of my cross corolla 3 days ago and dealer already warned me that wireless AA works only on few random phones. and as it turned out it does not on my Samsung s23. in fact it even messes up standard BT connection if i try to enable AA wireless. So i ordered a wireless dongle and will go from there since every time taking phone out of pocket to connect it is inconvenient.

9 minutes ago, miks said:

I took delivery of my cross corolla 3 days ago and dealer already warned me that wireless AA works only on few random phones. and as it turned out it does not on my samsung s23. in fact it even messes up standard BT connection if i try to enable AA wireless. So i ordered a wireless dongle and will go from there since every time taking phone out of pocket to connect it is inconvenient.

AA works fine on my S23 Ultra (so should work on yours as s/ware is pretty much the same) BUT if I am navigating and playing music at the same time it will tend to crash (or lose connection - I'm not sure which) after giving a navigation instruction. Doesn't tend to happen when navigating only. Haven't got to the bottom of it and am going to experiment with a wired connection and also hoping that recent updates to AA might have helped. I have also just uninstalled Google maps and AA and reinstalled to see if that helps.

5 minutes ago, Corolly Poly said:

AA works fine on my S23 Ultra BUT if I am navigating and playing music at the same time it will tend to crash (or lose connection - I'm not sure which) after giving a navigation instruction. Doesn't tend to happen when navigating only. Haven't got to the bottom of it and am going to experiment with a wired connection and also hoping that recent updates to AA might have helped. I have also just uninstalled Google maps and AA and reinstalled to see if that helps.

just so i understand it correctly, you are talking about wireless AA right? cuz wired AA have worked fine for me so far. its the wireless that has problems

27 minutes ago, miks said:

just so i understand it correctly, you are talking about wireless AA right? cuz wired AA have worked fine for me so far. its the wireless that has problems

Yes, wireless AA works fine on my S23U bar the issue I'm having when navigating and playing music at the same time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links