Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla estate 1.8 range on a full tank.

Tom1440

12 hours ago, Tom1440 said:

I generally drive to get the best mpg that I can . A lot of my journeys are short and will reduce efficiency, but I still expected more mileage between refills.

Short journeys, don't see a problem with over 50mpg especially the weather only just starting to creep up in temp. Would say the car is perfectly normal. 

• Like 2

I've read on here you have to be careful "brimming it" on the Corolla. Can contaminate something I think?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fred88 said:

I've read on here you have to be careful "brimming it" on the Corolla. Can contaminate something I think?

"brimming it" these days means stopping at the first click off.

Oh, ok.

4 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Short journeys, don't see a problem with over 50mpg especially the weather only just starting to creep up in temp. Would say the car is perfectly normal. 

The Corolla - like all hybrids - should do best with continuous low-speed travel. It's why taxi drivers love 'em. As long as the ICE is warmed up you can pootle around town all day and probably get north of 70mpg. This is because traction Battery and motor can really help the ICE stay efficient.

Sadly on the open road and motorways they can't offer as much help to the ICE so inevitably efficiency suffers. At higher speeds we're more reliant on good aerodynamics and the more valve timings of the ICE which make it more efficient.

Still a 1.8 should, unless thrashed or only driven for ten minutes a day, be capable of averaging 60mpg in normal use over the year.

• Like 6

Best efficiency I have achieved at night in London and surrounding counties driving relaxed within speed limits, better than official figures.
Any A roads or motorway drives reduce the efficiency or short town trips in heavy traffic. For the first it’s the diesel a king, second it’s he bev, and hybrids are just in between as perfect all around figures 👏

• Like 3

tank capacity is 43L according to the technical specs for the corolla.

the best i have seen on my car is 550km with 80km left on range indicator for a full tank after long motorway return drive 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fred88 said:

Yes, it can damage the emission system on modern cars.

I had a VW where I suspect the first owner was doing this, it needed a new emissions canister fitted.

• Like 3

Exactly what I've found. Trip Cardiff to Taunton yesterday morning on the M5 in free traffic doing 60 to 65 mph, got 63mpg. Journey took 1hr 15mins. I know if I had pushed it harder that would have dropped to 60 or less. Return journeying the afternoon in stop start slow moving traffic (Bank Holiday traffic) took over 2 hours but I got 73mpg. Its the second time that's happened. 

• Like 2

2nd hybrid and 6 years so far, my Yaris only recently got into the low 60 mpg to a tank. OP said a lot short journeys, that's says it all, a few miles trip will have that effect on mpg. I would wager a bar of chocolate that his car is performing as it should. 

• Like 2

On 5/6/2024 at 1:08 PM, Red_Corolla said:

Around 400 per tank is typical for me with the 2.0 model (the older one with the NimH battery pack).

Mine responds very favourably to warm weather - I've had as much as 500 out of a tank in summer. The reserve after reaching 0 miles range is quite generous, as with most Toyotas.

I thought all 2.0 had lithium packs.... Ive not really investigated it just assumed. 

Just filled mine up... 499 on last tank. 😁😁😁

PXL_20240508_124042402.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, taxidriver50005 said:

I thought all 2.0 had lithium packs.... Ive not really investigated it just assumed. 

Bizarrely, the 1.8s had smaller lithium packs while the 2.0 had larger NiMH originally IIRC - It's weird as you'd think it'd be the other way around :laugh: 

I'm not sure in the new/current models though - I feel like they have gone completely to lithium? :confused1:

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

I'm not sure in the new/current models though - I feel like they have gone completely to lithium? :confused1:

It looks like it, the brochure for my 23 facelift shows both the 1.8 and 2 litre using the same capacity lithium ion Battery pack now. (4.8 Ah(hr) at 600V)

• Like 1

Speed does make a big difference, while most of my driving is plain motorway I’m still getting over 50mpg in winter and 10% more now the weather is warmer. 

where the car really gets the best results is when you come off the motorway, on country roads 30-50mph I can regularly get 75 which would increase my range to 600 miles.

the facelift keeps the revs down a lot, in normal driving the power gauge only goes just into the power band and holds it there but you still get brisk performance. 

IMG_2372.jpeg

• Like 1

Nothing will happen if you brim your car full, it’s all myths like many others. All that can happen is to pay more to the garage than actually have to, every extra click . Just stop refill after first click and you are good to go. Accurate fuel consumption, full tank and no unnecessary worries about your fuel system.
With weather warming up the efficiency is growing too, last refill 482 miles, I noticed that with new batteries both hybrid and 12v the engine stays off for much longer , but this is still under monitoring and will write about in another post when I have more miles and better look on it  🙂

• Like 1

I thought it was you that said it!

But obviously it wasn't. Something about a charcoal filter?

49 minutes ago, fred88 said:

But obviously it wasn't. Something about a charcoal filter?

Yes, there's a system in all modern cars to capture and reclaim the petrol vapour from the tank. If you keep trying to put more fuel in after the pump cuts off you run the risk of petrol getting into the filter cannister, which will be ruined and costly to replace. (loads of info on the web about this)

Apparently you can even get a blowback of petrol from the filler under some circumstances. (second item in this Car Care Nut video)

Yes, that's what happened to my VW - check engine light which turned out to be the charcoal canister had failed.

I was the second owner, and always stop filling after first click, so it was likely damaged by the original owner.

2022 model GR Sport Estate 2.0l. It can go as low as 46 on the indicated car system in winter and as high as 56/57 in the warmer months (average per full tank). I am currently on 50 odd mpg after around 60 miles since last fill up and after a fill up the car indicates 400 plus of range. 

I mostly drive Duel Carriage Ways and Motorways with a speedo reading of 72-74Mph which I tested on Google maps with my wife's phone its an actual 68-70Mph. I am more then happy with an average over the year of 49/51mpg with a 2.0l engine and the power it produces when pushed. Then when around town or car parks I love the sound weirdly when it runs on EV only.  

• Like 2

Our next door neighbour's main house is in Wakefield and told me that most of the taxis there are Toyotas. Urban driving is where the eCVT really provides high mpg: on a run today of 40 miles on a mix of dual and single unrestricted and urban travel I achieved 59mpg with 56% on e power. After a break for shopping and a 2 mile journey home the mpg was 79! Twenty years ago, many taxis were Skoda Octavia 1.9 diesels (which is why we obtained our first Skoda). At present in town, the taxis are a mix of Skodas, Fords and a Dacia. I'd be interested in Alan's comments: an economical self-charging hybrid is preferable to a pure electric car if 200 miles a day is typical plus the possibility of longer journeys when the car can be refilled in a few minutes, rather than waiting to charge the vehicle with an impatient passenger in the back seat.

• Like 3

The smart part of M3(J4a to J2) got one of the lanes closed (both directions) and there is 50mph average speed limit cameras till next spring.  They are building extra emergency bays  - probably everyone knows about the smart motorways and have his opinion, but this is another topic....

This affects my commute a bit - slowing me down by 4ish minutes in the morning and 10-15 minutes in the afternoon. I don't mind the 50mph speed limit and the extra time for my 30 miles commute, not at all. Never rushing on my way to work, even less going back home😂😂😂. Love the current MPG tooIMG-20240509-WA0011.thumb.jpeg.9eaa8037bd94434678100ac706712d04.jpeg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Pannett said:

Our next door neighbour's main house is in Wakefield and told me that most of the taxis there are Toyotas. Urban driving is where the eCVT really provides high mpg: on a run today of 40 miles on a mix of dual and single unrestricted and urban travel I achieved 59mpg with 56% on e power. After a break for shopping and a 2 mile journey home the mpg was 79! Twenty years ago, many taxis were Skoda Octavia 1.9 diesels (which is why we obtained our first Skoda). At present in town, the taxis are a mix of Skodas, Fords and a Dacia. I'd be interested in Alan's comments: an economical self-charging hybrid is preferable to a pure electric car if 200 miles a day is typical plus the possibility of longer journeys when the car can be refilled in a few minutes, rather than waiting to charge the vehicle with an impatient passenger in the back seat.

When I purchased my corolla (coming from a 400,000 prius) I seriously looked into a Ev... Problem is I would need a car with a 220mile winter range for daily use.. That range really is the problem.. As the way to make the Battery last is never charge over 80% and never discharge less than 40% so that gives me a usable 40% of the Battery capacity.. So now I'm looking at a car with 550 mile winter range or about 700-750 summer to avoid Battery degradation issues... So none starter there.

Even if I forget all that looking after the battery I would still need to charge at home,   now from my limited research most energy providers do cheep rates between 12 and 4 am.... So at a maximum 7kw per hour at those times I get 28 kW of cheap electric the rest is normal domestic rate.. Average ev is about 3.6 miles per kW so 105 miles on cheap power the rest more expensive 

So 220 miles at 3.6 miles per kW is 61 kW of electric at a max charge speed of 7 kW is over 8.7 hours... That's best case... Normally charge slower.. Ive heard people saying they only ever get 3kw and 3.6 miles per kW is summer use... Potentially I could be on charge 15 hours a day.... No thank you 😁😁

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, taxidriver50005 said:

When I purchased my corolla (coming from a 400,000 prius) I seriously looked into a Ev... Problem is I would need a car with a 220mile winter range for daily use.. That range really is the problem.. As the way to make the battery last is never charge over 80% and never discharge less than 40% so that gives me a usable 40% of the battery capacity.. So now I'm looking at a car with 550 mile winter range or about 700-750 summer to avoid battery degradation issues... So none starter there.

Even if I forget all that looking after the battery I would still need to charge at home,   now from my limited research most energy providers do cheep rates between 12 and 4 am.... So at a maximum 7kw per hour at those times I get 28 kW of cheap electric the rest is normal domestic rate.. Average ev is about 3.6 miles per kW so 105 miles on cheap power the rest more expensive 

So 220 miles at 3.6 miles per kW is 61 kW of electric at a max charge speed of 7 kW is over 8.7 hours... That's best case... Normally charge slower.. Ive heard people saying they only ever get 3kw and 3.6 miles per kW is summer use... Potentially I could be on charge 15 hours a day.... No thank you 😁😁

Luckily most people don't need anything like that. Most of the time a 30 mile range would cover typical social and domestic travel for a day as long as you have reliable access to a charger at either end of the journey. And it'd typically take around an hour to recharge from that on the slowest chargers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links