Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Roads

2toyos

Now, I was out in the 8wheeler last night on my way to the middle of nowhere to swap a vacuum vessel, as the normal bloke don't work bank holidays, and I was on the A44, I happened to of left earlier then normal, been on this road a few times, and oh what I have missed, it was glorious, beautiful hills, vegetation, the rivers, the benefits of being high up, what over glorious unspoiled roads have you been on

• Like 5

Hi Mathew.We can often get wrapped up in so many things without realising that the most beautiful things are often the things that are around us all the time.🌞

• Like 4

This is a beautiful country, once you take the time to look at the scenery. The Good Lady and myself recently returned from Newcastle, back down to Berkshire. We did the journey through the backroads and tried, as far as possible, to avoid the motorways. We passed through small villages, back country roads, and had a chance to admire the scenery. Yes, it took much longer than the usual motorway dash, but it was far more enjoyable.

• Like 5

Always found the let's see what's down that way and not on the usual sat nav route always finds gems,  Danby in North Yorkshire being one the roads down to it then up and across the Yorkshire Moors and down to Sandsend by the sea are fabulous on the way to Whitby.

• Like 2

The Yorkshire moors are lovely. Really beautiful scenery.

• Like 3

I find a lot of roads that were bypassed or rendered redundant by motorways are some of the nicest - They're usually scenic, or at least 'quaint', and usually a bit quieter as everyone uses the newer faster roads, although you often have to contend with other people thinking the same thing (Which is okay when it's people in faster cars, but less so when it's a hoard of bikers or worse bicycles or worse that one guy who has a horse drawn buggy who always seems to pick the same random country backroads I do! :eek: :laugh: )

• Haha 3

The A5 through North Wales is a lovely road with a lot of stunning scenery. It is very busy in the summer months but I personally like to drive it in the autumn because of the lovely colours and it also a lot quieter.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Big_D said:

Next time you’re up that way, I recommend booking a trip on the North Yorkshire moors railway, it now goes from Pickering to Whitby and you travel through heartbeat country…

21 hours ago, Big_D said:

• Like 2

Time it right and you can see this: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/23632666.heartbeat-stars-meet-fans-popular-tv-shows-rally-goathland/

It's a coincidence that I was talking about this today to a friend of mine who has quite a few of the vehicles. I was trying to persuade him to go with a few.

Worth a browse: http://rollingpast.com/Action vehicle page.htm

We spent many happy days camping in North Yorkshire.  Once. When we were on a campsite in Crakehall, we were visiting nearby Masham, and a scene from Heartbeat was being shot in Market Place.  Along with perhaps a hundred others we saw the scene shot three times.  First time, a woman carrying her shopping walked straight through the set.  Next ‘take’, a police constable (character’s name Jeff, I think) stops to speak to a woman with a pram, when his Panda car, parked nearby, was stolen by a “criminal”, and with a gangly run Jeff shouted “Hoy” and chased after the car. We all laughed, and it was picked up on the sound track.  One of the film crew came over to us and said, “If hear the funniest thing you ever heard, PLEASE don’t laugh.  So third ‘take’ was acted.  Just at the end, a customer walked out of The Bruce Arms (just up from where the Panda car had been parked) wearing clothing totally unsuitable for time of the drama.  On checking the ‘take’ the director said “cut” had already happened, and the film crew and actors visibly relaxed.  

• Haha 2

On 5/8/2024 at 6:24 PM, Primus1 said:

Next time you’re up that way, I recommend booking a trip on the North Yorkshire moors railway, it now goes from Pickering to Whitby and you travel through heartbeat country…

Thanks for the advice. I surely will.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Haliotis said:

We spent many happy days camping in North Yorkshire.  Once. When we were on a campsite in Crakehall, we were visiting nearby Masham, and a scene from Heartbeat was being shot in Market Place.  Along with perhaps a hundred others we saw the scene shot three times.  First time, a woman carrying her shopping walked straight through the set.  Next ‘take’, a police constable (character’s name Jeff, I think) stops to speak to a woman with a pram, when his Panda car, parked nearby, was stolen by a “criminal”, and with a gangly run Jeff shouted “Hoy” and chased after the car. We all laughed, and it was picked up on the sound track.  One of the film crew came over to us and said, “If hear the funniest thing you ever heard, PLEASE don’t laugh.  So third ‘take’ was acted.  Just at the end, a customer walked out of The Bruce Arms (just up from where the Panda car had been parked) wearing clothing totally unsuitable for time of the drama.  On checking the ‘take’ the director said “cut” had already happened, and the film crew and actors visibly relaxed.  

Once saw the actor who played pc ventriss in our local Sainsbury’s, sadly passed away now..

The last time we visited Whitby, the shops fronting the harbour had become dowdy and, going into a cafe for a coffee (one we had previously visited) we were vey disappointed.  The tables were now Formica covered and sticky to the touch, and the milk for the coffee was on the counter in its plastic bottle and without the cap in place.  Never went back to Whitby again.

This seems to be the trend with many of our coastal towns - all falling into disrepair and/or the shops changed to betting shops, charity shops, shops selling tatty gifts, etc.

When I first went to Newquay (Cornwall) with my parents around 1950, that was a very select resort.  Towan beach was our favourite.  On our last visit to Cornwall (2019), Newquay was a place to be avoided, and I would now never  think of risking a walk along Bank Street in the late evening, or the town centre in general, for that matter.  Is it purely for money that the local authorities have allowed many of our coastal towns to degenerate so badly?

The best road in Yorkshire us the A59. Why you may ask? Because it goes to Lancashire.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mjolinor said:

The best road in Yorkshire us the A59. Why you may ask? Because it goes to Lancashire.

Which eventually leads to Blackpool, now listed in government figures as the worst deprived area of the country.   😩

• Haha 1

We are heading to Cornwall for a week next month, based in Truro. Will probably cover about 1000 miles give or take. The MK4 Yaris will take the country roads well, it's been 7 years since last visit, so very much looking forward to it. 

The PCS will probably go overdrive on this trip! Need to remember to turn off each time!

https://sonata.hotel-detail-check.com/garras-barn-uk

• Like 1

We like Truro.  Got some of the best fillet steak we’ve ever had at The Pannier Market.  Self-catering at our caravan, of course.  Had some nice meals at the Godolphin - overlooking St Michael’s Mount.  Cornwall is still a nice place to visit, but does get a bit crowded at almost anytime.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links