Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Corolla Suspension Noise

DJK49

My new 2024 Corolla sedan has 2000 miles and is in (otherwise) perfect condition.

It makes this noise when moving at low speed on city streets that have the usual cracks, imperfections, bumps and the like. It cannot be heard at higher speeds.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing this?

My new 2024 TS doesn't make that noise.   Sounds like something squeaking/loose. 

IME, if you take it back to the dealer, the first thing that they will do is take out everything that isn't standard or that you have put in it (and I mean everything, in the car, boot, the lot).   That is something that you can do yourself and may save you a bill.

If it doesn't help I would suggest taking to a dealer as something might need fixing.  It doesn't sound like a normal noise.

Thank you for the suggestions. I removed everything from the boot and glove box. I thought it was a vibration between the front license plate and its frame, but I secured them and the noise continues. The dealer did not do a thorough PDI. Tires were over-inflated and two rubber chassis seals were in the glove box rather than installed. Perhaps something else was neglected. Unable to return to the original dealer, since it's on the other side of the country. Vehicle is under warranty so likely no expense. What's most infuriating is that this noise is intermittent and I can't determine the conditions that elicit it. Of course, when I took it to a nearby dealer there was no noise.

Stuff like this is really annoying because it's so difficult to track down.   I've listened to the clip again.   None the wiser, just a squeaking noise as if something is loose.   I have sometimes found  with intermittent noises that they are affected by temperature and/or humidity. 

• Like 1

For any suspension noises you can try silicone spray wd-40 or similar and spray on each pair of bushes one by one and test drive. In most cases the squeaking noise comes from front arms rear bushes, a dirt or stones traps in the opening and when suspension is loaded the arm moves up and down so two rubber touches and the friction between is actually what causes the squeaking. Try this method, remember never spray any lub on the stabiliser bar bush, these only flex and needs to be dry. 
Driving through heavy rain on motorway or car wash helps stops squeaking, anything that will clean the rubber bush opening. 
image.thumb.jpeg.b397e70c3d2bb1f501b89dbccd1a440c.jpeg

On 5/11/2024 at 2:51 PM, SDR said:

Stuff like this is really annoying because it's so difficult to track down.   I've listened to the clip again.   None the wiser, just a squeaking noise as if something is loose.   I have sometimes found  with intermittent noises that they are affected by temperature and/or humidity. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Temperature and/or humidity seem to be affecting this, but I haven't yet gotten a handle on exactly the conditions that are causing this. At times it is present, at other times, it isn't. I am going to keep a log to see if I can determine what's going on. This is not something that should be affecting a new car.

On 5/12/2024 at 4:15 AM, TonyHSD said:

For any suspension noises you can try silicone spray wd-40 or similar and spray on each pair of bushes one by one and test drive. In most cases the squeaking noise comes from front arms rear bushes, a dirt or stones traps in the opening and when suspension is loaded the arm moves up and down so two rubber touches and the friction between is actually what causes the squeaking. Try this method, remember never spray any lub on the stabiliser bar bush, these only flex and needs to be dry. 
Driving through heavy rain on motorway or car wash helps stops squeaking, anything that will clean the rubber bush opening. 
image.thumb.jpeg.b397e70c3d2bb1f501b89dbccd1a440c.jpeg

Tony, Thanks for the detailed recommendation. I'll give it a try, but the new car's underbody is immaculate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have you figured out the problem? My 2024 Toyota Corolla just started doing the same thing around 2900 miles. My tires are 36/37 psi (changed with the weather) and it’s gotten hotter here so maybe it’s the weather?

Olivia, I'm afraid that I haven't been able to do much more due to foreign travel. There seems to be something temperature-related with the sound, but I could not discern a pattern. In my case, it seemed to be during cooler temps (+5-+9C).
I'll be eager to see what you learn. And, I promise that I'll follow up as I get more information. (While away from my Corolla, I've been driving an older Auris, and have been listening carefully whether there's any remotely similar sound, which, of course, there isn't.)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links