Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

"Hybrid system stopped" How reactivate, & resume traction?

Gerald 10-2020

Yaris Oct 2020.  "Hybrid System Stopped" appeared when inadvertently accelerator pedal was depressed whilst still in Parking mode. Any way please of myself reversing the stoppage, which now prevents all normal action? In the past when that message comes up because of low Battery charge, I have charged the Battery, and that has removed the hybrid system stoppage and enabled start of engine, traction and movement. In this instance is there something else I should do or try?  Or should I try recharging the Battery and see if that removes this stoppage?  Is there action I could take before having to resort to help from Green Flag rescue or from the local Toyota dealer? Thank you for guidance. Gerald   

Hi Gerald, It sounds like the Hybrid System Stopped message appeared due to inadvertently depressing the accelerator pedal while still in parking mode. Try restarting the vehicle by turning it off and then back on again. If the message persists, attempting to recharge the Battery might resolve the issue, as it has in the past. If the problem persists after attempting these steps, it may be necessary to seek assistance from a mechanic or the Green Flag rescue service. Perhaps someone who has experienced this before will be able to give you some additional information of what may be the Hope this helps.:smile:

Hybrid System Stopped please shift into P ? the car was not in P, the driver's door was open or ajar or the car was not in ready mode

no need to touch the Battery, if the car has the smart key the fob Battery possibly needs changing

Get in the car, close the door foot on the brake, place the fob near the start button, press the start button

• Like 2

Thanks, flash22. You seem right in suggesting car was not first in Ready mode, as it should have been.  Your suggestion for a smart key method is appreciated but mine is the basic one, i.e. lacking a smart entry and start system. Anyway many thanks!  

Thank you, Bper, for your comments. I hope for others' suggestions, as you mention.

For modern cars the equivalent of the computer 'turn it off and turn it on again' is 'disconnect 12V Battery, wait 10-15 minutes, reconnect it'.

I'd certainly try that before calling the pros.

(If available I'd put the Battery on charge while it's disconnected too.)

Many thanks, MikeSh, for your helpful suggestions. 

modern cars like to throw a fit if something isn't just so - I had the issue yesterday because I didn't shut the door properly

also if you are not in ready mode the car will turn itself off after 15 minutes

• Like 2

If it's a key type, insert key, hold brake pedal and twist key to position 3 to start it properly and put it in Ready mode (i.e. On/Started).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links